PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

10 hours ago, AlexM said:

I don’t have a solution for you @Parappa, but I have the same setup as @Quexex and have been using VR without issue.

USB3 SSD in one rear port.

USB3 Anker Hub (non-powered) in second rear port with PS4 camera & VR unit connected.

I have all PS4 games on the external drive & I use rest mode. I haven’t had an issue but I also haven’t played Miles Morales.

Thanks mate - I will take another look at this today and try again.  Are you running V1 or V2 PSVR?

41 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Thanks mate - I will take another look at this today and try again.  Are you running V1 or V2 PSVR?

V2 PSVR. 

Do you have the same hub as Quexex?

I’ve heard ‘powered’ hubs (with a separate connection to mains power) can cause issues, I don’t know how true that is but I came across it multiple times when researching which hub to buy.

1 hour ago, AlexM said:

V2 PSVR. 

I’ve heard ‘powered’ hubs (with a separate connection to mains power) can cause issues, I don’t know how true that is but I came across it multiple times when researching which hub to buy.

I have a PSVR V1 but my testing was pretty limited to does it work rather than extensively testing a bunch of games. You may also find that other things plugged into the hub might cause issues for the camera - I think mine was pretty much PSVR exclusive so I just had the camera, the link cable to the PSVR breakout box and controller sync/charge cables. Will give it another test tonight though as I wouldn't want to be recommending something that actually doesn't work!

2 hours ago, AlexM said:

V2 PSVR. 

Yeah same hub (non powered) and V2 PSVR - all a bit strange but I shall try again as it seems it should work!

OK tried again (Tetris Effect) and everything works as expected - however - when I move my head the whole screen moves around and follows me so its not in VR mode (depsite saying it is).

Tried it in Wipeout - just gets a black screen but sound is working fine.  All works fine when not using the Anker hub so not the VR kit I guess :unsure:  Wonder if its some PS5 setting (HDMI etc).  

EDIT: Sorted it! - It was the tracking lights that were all over show! - Went through config of that again and now seem to work all fine! A bit strange it sometimes did then sometimes didnt work but it looks like the Anker hub does the trick.  Thanks all! 

22 minutes ago, Parappa said:

OK tried again (Tetris Effect) and everything works as expected - however - when I move my head the whole screen moves around and follows me so its not in VR mode (depsite saying it is).

Tried it in Wipeout - just gets a black screen but sound is working fine.  All works fine when not using the Anker hub so not the VR kit I guess :unsure:  Wonder if its some PS5 setting (HDMI etc).  

EDIT: Sorted it! - It was the tracking lights that were all over show! - Went through config of that again and now seem to work all fine! A bit strange it sometimes did then sometimes didnt work but it looks like the Anker hub does the trick.  Thanks all! 

Thanks, so the Anker is still safe to recommend then :)

I only just noticed, but the PS5 UI has a film grain effect over it?! 
I only just noticed and initially thought something was wrong, but it’s gone in-game. 

Reading reddit, this does seem to be a thing! 

5 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I only just noticed and initially thought something was wrong, but it’s gone in-game. 

Hadn't noticed but I do notice a wave effect or wobble as the fullscreen image pops up for the game just before you load.

15 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing, I need to know whether to be outraged? :P

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Well it's subjective. I think for a UI it's a very weird choice. 

Might it be an anti-burn-in measure, particularly as the UI is now in HDR?

Odd, I came here to post about fan noise as well. Mine has been silent since day one ever after five hour sessions of Warzone. 

Today I turn it on and as soon as any game starts the fan ramps right up to an annoying level. Turn it off and the fan calms down again. Not even hot in this room.

Your video doesn't sound normal to me but it's hard to gauge sound levels over a video. Before today I couldn't hear mine at all.

My PS5 has been silent during a playthrough of The Last Of Us Part 2, but then that never made my base PS4 run particularly loudly. Feeling it's back, it's not even putting out much heat.

God Of War made it run as loudly as it ever did though. I'll maybe try that after.

43 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

My PS5 has been silent during a playthrough of The Last Of Us Part 2, but then that never made my base PS4 run particularly loudly.

Back in July when the heatwave was at its highest my launch PS4 was like a jet engine while playing LOU2. Headphones didn't drown it out.

My PS5 has a faint buzz and gentle exhale when running a game which you can only hear if the sound is off (apart from the loud but brief and infrequent disc drive spin-ups).

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

What's so amazing about these 3d headphones? I have studio headphones for recording music.

Nothing really, they’re just meant to be “optimised” for the Tempest 3D Audio the PS5 will output to any headset.

Anyone 'hoovered' their PS5 yet... it's been a few months considering doing mine.

Also - one for those with noisy PS4 Pros a can of compressed air works wonders for the noise levels - crack the lid off (it's supposed to come off but is a difficult) Put the extension pipe right up against the heat sink and go nuts. Observe the yucky dust blown out the back - then enjoy a much quieter PS4 Pro (wish I'd done mine months ago now).

16 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

What's so amazing about these 3d headphones? I have studio headphones for recording music.

Nothing, they are crap ‘headphones’ but wireless and cheap - your cans will be vastly better if the pad can drive them!