PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Can anyone help me set up a stock watch for my friend who has been trying to get her son a PS5 since before Xmas. I did it before for ringfit but for the life of me can't recall how to do it. 

5 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Can anyone help me set up a stock watch for my friend who has been trying to get her son a PS5 since before Xmas. I did it before for ringfit but for the life of me can't recall how to do it. 

Stock informer have both Telegram groups and email notifications. Would recommend the former: https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-ps5-playstation-5-console

I think HotStock do email alerts: https://www.hotstock.io/uk

Both do the thing where if you leave the page open, they will alert you. 

This twitch channel is constantly checking for stock and plays a sound when stock comes through: https://www.twitch.tv/retro_alpha_wolf

Apparently it's better than the other two but not much good unless you can leave it running in the background and don't mind an alert playing. Not suited to anyone still working in an office, basically.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I can’t get enough of running around in Astrobot, finding the role play scenes and trying to work out what game they’re from. I’ll have to look up the ones I didn’t get, I’m sure there must be loads of games I haven’t played. 

Have you done the ice skating bit yet? Or the bit with rain falling on to the controller?

Both are amazing.

23 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Have you done the ice skating bit yet? Or the bit with rain falling on to the controller?

Both are amazing.

I just finished it - quite apart from the treasure trove of nostalgia for the PlayStation brand that I didn’t know existed, and being an excellent tech demo for the Dualsense, it was a brilliantly crated, fun and charming game in itself. 

Astrobot is the PlayStation mascot Sony have been looking for since 1994 and this was a lovely way for him to get acquainted with it all.

4 hours ago, Popo said:

I just finished it - quite apart from the treasure trove of nostalgia for the PlayStation brand that I didn’t know existed, and being an excellent tech demo for the Dualsense, it was a brilliantly crated, fun and charming game in itself. 

Astrobot is the PlayStation mascot Sony have been looking for since 1994 and this was a lovely way for him to get acquainted with it all.

Now get a PSVR and play AstroBot Rescue mission

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

Now get a PSVR and play AstroBot Rescue mission

I have it already! I still need to get that converter device. 

Here’s a weird thing, I wonder if it has happened to anyone else. I tried to transfer some of my PS4 games over to the PS5 using the data transfer function - selected like 6 games, but only 3 of them transferred - the others errored out. Tried again with the remaining 3 - errored again. I tried to do just one game, and it started, but still hasn’t  completed, some 9 hours later. 

The PS4 isn’t on the transfer screen - it’s none the wiser - but the PS5 still thinks something is happening and there’s no cancel button. Every time I go to the data transfer page it reports “Data is already being transferred in the background. Wait for the data transfer to complete and then try again.” I’ve turned the PS5 off and the PS5 still says the same thing - turning off or restarting the PS5 doesn’t seem to make a difference. 

On 26/01/2021 at 14:51, Quexex said:

This has turned up today but I'm having issues. The camera and external hard drive have to be plugged into the back of the console so can you share how yours is set up? Thanks! 

Edit. So camera doesn't have to be plugged in the back. So I have my ext HD and anker hub coming out the back. Into the hub is psvr camera and USB from psvr hub. Problem I am getting is a black screen for a while in start up on wipeout and some stranger than expected goings on in paranormal activity. Maybe I need to try and new hdmi cable. 

5 minutes ago, Parappa said:

This has turned up today but I'm having issues. The camera and external hard drive have to be plugged into the back of the console so can you share how yours is set up? Thanks! 

I have the HDD plugged in directly into the rear port the hub in the second one. Then the camera plugged into the hub along with the cable for the PSVR. Everything worked when I tested it.

I thought disc PS4 games all worked on the PS4?

I put in my Astrobot Rescue Mission disc in and out wanted me to by the game for the discounted price of £12.

TrackMania Turbo from disc was fine though. Although I maybe bought it on PSN too. 

I shall check more. 

16 minutes ago, Quexex said:

I have the HDD plugged in directly into the rear port the hub in the second one. Then the camera plugged into the hub along with the cable for the PSVR. Everything worked when I tested it.

Thanks mate. I have it setup in same way however wipeout black screens for ages when first starting up but then eventually starts and runs fine. I have tried tetris effect and that doesn't seem to register that I am in VR properly. All very strange but I shall continue to test it out. 

Bought KOF2000 for £1.79 in the retro sale and I didn't realise it's the PS2 Classics version. 

On booting it brings up the little notification box saying there's compatibility issues.

Graphical glitches all over the screen when playing like lines and flashes of different colours.

Annoying when there's another version on the PS Store for 4 times the price (the ACA version so it's a proper arcade conversion).

27 minutes ago, Spleen said:

I thought disc PS4 games all worked on the PS4?

I put in my Astrobot Rescue Mission disc in and out wanted me to by the game for the discounted price of £12.

TrackMania Turbo from disc was fine though. Although I maybe bought it on PSN too. 

I shall check more. 

Ah, I deleted Astro Bot and reinserted the disc and now it seems to be copying. 

Fingers crossed!

The disc drive seems so noisy!

2 hours ago, Quexex said:

Oooh Control Ultimate Edition on PSPlus in Feb :) PS5 updates included iirc

Oooh very nice! Ultimate Edition next-gen updates come out - just by chance ;) - on Feb 2nd I believe. I have it already downloaded on Game Pass but would much rather play it with the new shinies!

Thinking about it actually that pretty much puts my Xbox on the backburner until some new stuff starts landing on Game Pass as Control was pretty much the last thing left on there I really wanted to play.

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

Thanks mate. I have it setup in same way however wipeout black screens for ages when first starting up but then eventually starts and runs fine. I have tried tetris effect and that doesn't seem to register that I am in VR properly. All very strange but I shall continue to test it out. 

Hmmm I tried it with astrobot when I first got the hub but to be honest I've not been playing VR lately.

6 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Hmmm I tried it with astrobot when I first got the hub but to be honest I've not been playing VR lately.

Yeah I think the PSVR camera doesnt like not been plugged into the back so had to use the hub from the front. All works fine now but might be worth bearing in mind if you get any issues 

Don't think I'll be using the standby mode because the bloody lights are annoying as hell. Also the fan noise is constant and not just when playing games. Bit disappointed with the hardware to be honest.

29 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Yeah I think the PSVR camera doesnt like not been plugged into the back so had to use the hub from the front. All works fine now but might be worth bearing in mind if you get any issues 

Wait, your using the hub on the front usb A port? Didn't think the camera would work at all from that port... Not sure my cable OCD could handle it permanently in the front port. But good to know cause once you go VR you have to accept cables... So many cables. I think a wireless.headset is a must for PSVR 2

5 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Wait, your using the hub on the front usb A port? Didn't think the camera would work at all from that port... Not sure my cable OCD could handle it permanently in the front port. But good to know cause once you go VR you have to accept cables... So many cables. I think a wireless.headset is a must for PSVR 2

Camera and hard drive are in the back. Hub coming out the front. Not ideal for my cable OCD either but it's not too bad. I was just thinking the same about PSVR2:)

31 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Don't think I'll be using the standby mode because the bloody lights are annoying as hell. Also the fan noise is constant and not just when playing games. Bit disappointed with the hardware to be honest.

That doesn't sound right at all, I'd be getting it replaced, my fans are not audible and it's on a desk infront of me next to the monitor, if i turn everything off via the plug except for the PS5 then I can hear it, but it's not loud at all and not at the home menu or in rest mode.

19 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Anyone bought new plates yet? Seen loads of black ones on ebay but they look pretty low quality.

I had originally ordered some before the PS5 came out but that supplier was shut down. I don’t think I’ll bother now. I’ve stashed the console behind the TV and barely look at the thing.

48 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Anyone bought new plates yet? Seen loads of black ones on ebay but they look pretty low quality.

If they are black and attach to the machine then that is good enough for me.

I need something to hide/downplay the horror of the design so up close quality is not of interest...

4 hours ago, Quexex said:

3 hours ago, Parappa said:

I don’t have a solution for you @Parappa, but I have the same setup as @Quexex and have been using VR without issue.

USB3 SSD in one rear port.

USB3 Anker Hub (non-powered) in second rear port with PS4 camera & VR unit connected.

I have all PS4 games on the external drive & I use rest mode. I haven’t had an issue but I also haven’t played Miles Morales.

8 hours ago, Mike S said:

If they are black and attach to the machine then that is good enough for me.

I need something to hide/downplay the horror of the design so up close quality is not of interest...

So you going to take the plunge and buy some from ebay then?

I have to say this months Plus offering are very good, I think they've managed to cover Online Multiplayer, PS5, PSVR and PS4 (Concrete Genie has a mode iirc).

Got to be quite hard to cover that much of the PS user base. Also Concrete Genie is a very good game as is Control. Destruction AllStars will probably be better for being free, but the jury is still out. 

I played Control on a Shadow PC and has an amazing time, I forgot I was playing via a stream... But then my next session was awful, guess the net traffic was higher. So I gave up and considered adding it to my pile of shame on PS4... No need now :)