Jump to content

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

 

The whole audio thing on PS5 is a bit of a mess. Your choices are this:

 

Go through the headphone jack on the Dualsense which is compressed and can't drive any decent headphones properly.

 

Use a USB DAC which is fine except the PS5 doesn't support the ten year old UAC2 standard so hardly any DAC's work with it. In addition it doesn't support voice chat over USB apparently.

 

Finally, the proprietary Pulse headphones which, like all Sony's gaming headphones aren't a great solution either.

 

But strange they've gone to all the effort with Tempest which, even through the Dualsense Demon's Souls, sounds amazing - just a shame there's no uncompromised way to hear it. 

 

 

All the old headsets work too, I'm using the old Gold one. The Pulse headphones don't have any exclusive features. Destiny 2 PS5 is just really nasty with 3D Audio enabled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Majora said:

 

I was just about to say you shouldn't let anyone shame you into not cashing it on it but you shouldn't do it by selling it to people on this forum at an inflated price. It's not good etiquette. 

 

Sell it on eBay or take it to CEX and make a couple of hundred, that's fine. You bought it with good intentions and it didn't work out. But if you're selling it on this forum it needs to be at cost price in my honest opinion.

Shame the person in trading looking to shift a Dualsense charger for well over RRP hasn't taken that advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Spacehost said:

All the old headsets work too, I'm using the old Gold one. The Pulse headphones don't have any exclusive features. Destiny 2 PS5 is just really nasty with 3D Audio enabled.

 

I've always find wireless gaming headphones pretty poor, not sure if it's the limitations of latency free wireless or just because gaming audio stuff is always a bit crap. Seems crazy to me there isn't a reasonable method of getting a high quality wired signal out of a PS5. Hopefully they'll patch in UAC2 support with voice chat at some point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the dumpster fire of humanity that comprises the Hotukdeals PS5 thread, this whole situation has really brought out the worst in some people. This place has been pretty much free of scalpers though.

 

I think that anyone who is fortunate enough to be able to make some money by selling one unwanted console to CEX should go ahead and do so without feeling guilty about it. That's not scalping, it's just a no hassle route to getting rid of something that's no longer used.

 

All I would add is don't be a dick by doing this repeatedly or bragging about it on the internet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

 

I've always find wireless gaming headphones pretty poor, not sure if it's the limitations of latency free wireless or just because gaming audio stuff is always a bit crap. Sense crazy to me there isn't a reasonable method of getting a high quality wired signal out of a PS5. Hopefully they'll patch in UAC2 support with voice chat at some point. 

It's okay for what it is, which I'm fine with. Tempest 3D audio is what I'm more concerned about- although, I did pay Resi 8 and it sounded good, so maybe it's just an issue with Destiny.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the battery life like on the DualSense compared with the abysmal DS4's? Presumably the haptic stuff makes it run down quote a lot. I'm deciding whether to pick up one of those charging docks or not.

 

(Not that I've got the console yet...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

What's the battery life like on the DualSense compared with the abysmal DS4's? Presumably the haptic stuff makes it run down quote a lot. I'm deciding whether to pick up one of those charging docks or not.

 

(Not that I've got the console yet...)


It’s not amazing, really. I find I have to charge them about once or twice a week. I seem to get 3-4 times longer out of my Xbox controller with rechargeables. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Das said:

I mean would it be ok to advertise on forum for cex cash price? It feels uncomfortable but I'd rather it go to someone decent for less than scalpers.

 

I think that's acceptable and people have sold things on the forum for more than RRP when they are old and rare, so i see no reason why this is different, at the end of the day you're just offering what it's worth as a trade in and if somebody is desperate for one they are still getting it via the forum for less than CEX or other scalpers are charging, that's my view of the situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like it could be a hardware fault. I finished MM with no issues.

 

Bought mine launch day, and so far have had a couple of crashes in Days Gone and one in Control but nothing in Spidey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Spoke too soon. Switch to Miles Morales, crashed during the fight with Rhino. <_<

 


I agree, I had 1 hard crash it was on miles but was before the last system update. I’d get it replaced.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was after latest update running RT 60fps mode. I have an external drive plugged in. Pretty sure my hard crashes were only during cut scenes though but I maybe wrong. Had 3 overall where it was an unplug ps5 job. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Tempest 3D Audio thoughts- anyone else think it's just a bit shit? Everything sounds like I've got water in my ears until I turn it off, and I don't get much of a 3D effect. How it'll work on non-headphone speakers I don't know.


Have you done the ear height setting or whatever, that’s in the settings menu? It makes a big difference!
 

I was initially using a pair of on-ear Sennheisers. Had to change the settings to get the audio sounding right. Then switched back to my usual over ear Sennheisers and had to recalibrate the settings again.
 

Demon’s Souls sounds absolutely fantastic. Really immersive and atmospheric. Made me duck out the way of arrows quite a few times and on one occasion I jumped like all fuck when I heard an enemy creeping up behind me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CrichStand said:


Have you done the ear height setting or whatever, that’s in the settings menu? It makes a big difference!
 

I was initially using a pair of on-ear Sennheisers. Had to change the settings to get the audio sounding right. Then switched back to my usual over ear Sennheisers and had to recalibrate the settings again.
 

Demon’s Souls sounds absolutely fantastic. Really immersive and atmospheric. Made me duck out the way of arrows quite a few times and on one occasion I jumped like all fuck when I heard an enemy creeping up behind me!

Yeah, it's all calibrated. It may just be Destiny, Demon's certainly sounded pretty great.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Yeah, it's all calibrated. It may just be Destiny, Demon's certainly sounded pretty great.

 


Yeah, sounds like it. Some of the other games still sound great but Demon’s is on another level.

 

There was a pretty big difference between the on ear and over ear headphones too, even when calibrated. The on-ear ones, are a brilliant set of headphones, but like most cheaper consumer sets (think they were about £60-£70), have an altered frequency response, that’s add top end and bass. I wonder if that can screw with the 3D-Audio a bit? The over ears I’ve got are a set of quality studio headphones, which cost a lot more but they have a flat response. Wouldn’t mind trying a few more sets just to see how they fair! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all - now, I don't want to jynx it, and I'll obviously believe it when it's plugged into my TV and I'm playing Astro Bot, but if my calculations are correct I'm now a member of the PS5 owners club.

 

I'd like to get my PS4 game saves transferred so I can continue where I left off, only now is 60fps - I believe Playstation Plus membership enables this, but I'm not particularly interested in Plus itself, or paying for it long-term.  Would it be sufficient to get a short trial like this one from CD Keys for 99p, enable it on the PS4, confirm the saves were backed up to cloud, then log into the PS5 and force them all to download to the local system before the trial ends?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Popo said:

Hi all - now, I don't want to jynx it, and I'll obviously believe it when it's plugged into my TV and I'm playing Astro Bot, but if my calculations are correct I'm now a member of the PS5 owners club.

 

I'd like to get my PS4 game saves transferred so I can continue where I left off, only now is 60fps - I believe Playstation Plus membership enables this, but I'm not particularly interested in Plus itself, or paying for it long-term.  Would it be sufficient to get a short trial like this one from CD Keys for 99p, enable it on the PS4, confirm the saves were backed up to cloud, then log into the PS5 and force them all to download to the local system before the trial ends?

The PS5 should sync them all down automatically, I think. I just had my PS5 sync locally from my PS4 when I set it up though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't find the height setting option for 3D sound helpful at all. I can't really detect any differences in height in maybe all but the absolute lowest setting.

 

They all sound different but none of them necessarily sound correct. Like, I don't know what they intend for this babbling brook to actually sound like. I hear different sonic elements in all of them, it just seems a very strange choice of sound to base calibration on for me.

 

One thing I have noticed is that unless games specifically say they support the 3D sound it can sound rubbish. Demon's Souls is great as has already been mentioned but Bugsnax sounded terrible. Walking across a river in Bugsnax it sounded so muted I switched 3D off and it was night and day in terms of clarity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

You don't even need to do the PS Plus trial. You can just copy the saves to USB and restore them from USB on the PS5.

 

As Spacehost suggests, if your PS4 is on the network it should see that and ask to copy everything over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Popo said:

Hi all - now, I don't want to jynx it, and I'll obviously believe it when it's plugged into my TV and I'm playing Astro Bot, but if my calculations are correct I'm now a member of the PS5 owners club.

 

I'd like to get my PS4 game saves transferred so I can continue where I left off, only now is 60fps - I believe Playstation Plus membership enables this, but I'm not particularly interested in Plus itself, or paying for it long-term.  Would it be sufficient to get a short trial like this one from CD Keys for 99p, enable it on the PS4, confirm the saves were backed up to cloud, then log into the PS5 and force them all to download to the local system before the trial ends?

 

The trial only works if you've never had PSPlus before. Also, be aware that when I did this with the PS4 (hopefully this has changed as it was a few years ago) you could only re-download a save from the cloud to local storage if the game was installed on the console. The USB option if you have a USB stick is a better option in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.