PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

I played Ghost of Tsushima just fine for a long while, went back to Spidey, and it crashed again after a stint. This was after two database rebuilds. I've now hit the nuke button and have reinstalled the PS5 OS from USB - essentially factory reset. Spidey and GoT are downloading now, I'll see how I get on with them. 

11 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Anybody using the Pulse 3D headset?

Argos have some stock and I'm wondering if it's worth the asking price? Would certainly help when gaming at night.

i have a pair. They’re ok. Bit over priced imo. I have a pair of steel series for the Xbox in my office and those are much, much nicer. Sound better and more comfortable. I think they do them for the PlayStation so I’d personally go for those if I were to buy again. 

8 hours ago, wretcherd said:

Had my second Miles crash a few hours later, was another interior forced-walking bit that did it.

Maybe it's an intentional ploy to show off the 2 second loading.

I know this is the 2nd time I've mentioned the game this morning but it's interesting that "Crashes after several hours play, has sub-Bethesda levels of glitching" Cyberpunk is dragged off the PS Store but "First party title that hard crashes consoles constantly" is still being fully promoted.

32 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

That isn't why Cyberpunk was pulled though.

Good to know that games that hard crash the console repeatedly now have the Sony Seal Of Quality.

51 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I know this is the 2nd time I've mentioned the game this morning but it's interesting that "Crashes after several hours play, has sub-Bethesda levels of glitching" Cyberpunk is dragged off the PS Store but "First party title that hard crashes consoles constantly" is still being fully promoted.

I didn’t have a single crash completing Miles Morales (not done NG+ yet), I use Rest mode regularly (occasionally with MM) but don’t have an external drive and PS5 is on Ethernet. I had the game installed from release but didn’t play it until Xmas in RT60. Disc edition of game.

Anecdote ahoy.

Only had three crashes on PS5 so far, having played through Demon’s, both Spidey games, and BC SW Squadrons and Horizon: ZD.

All three in Miles Morales, and I never use rest mode or have an external drive attached.

Set mine up last night. I can't fall in love with it on looks and feel. Massive ugly hunk of plasticy tat!!! A can't believe how massive it is, it's actually making me a bit sad :lol:

Tempest 3D Audio thoughts- anyone else think it's just a bit shit? Everything sounds like I've got water in my ears until I turn it off, and I don't get much of a 3D effect. How it'll work on non-headphone speakers I don't know.

Are your headphones plugged in fully? What you’re describing sounds like my virtual surround processor when I didn’t have the jack plugged in quite right. For some reason (phase?) virtual surround has far more trouble with this than ordinary audio does.

3 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

Anyone had their machine stop recognising button presses from the dualsense? Nothing would work. Turned on my other pad and selected swap pad luckily that worked. 

Yeah, I had this once while playing Demon Souls (1 of my only 2 issues I've had with the system since launch). I found that plugging in and turning on my HOTAS stick made it all come back to life again (just like your second pad) and I could then carry on as normal as well.

If I were to sell mine what's an acceptable practice? I genuinely bought it for myself but practically it doesn't fit in my setup...I mean physically rather! It takes up a cupboard space that leaves no room for my series S. I'm going to wait for the slim version in a few years or so.

I don't want to 'scalp' on eBay because it was never my intention plus it doesn't sit right with me. Cex will give me £625 cash but I hate those bastards. What a weird dilemma!!!

I think it'd be difficult to blame you if you start an auction on ebay below rrp and it goes for what it goes for.

Very different to "BIN £999".

But I don't know if everyone would agree.

I mean would it be ok to advertise on forum for cex cash price? It feels uncomfortable but I'd rather it go to someone decent for less than scalpers.

31 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Are your headphones plugged in fully? What you’re describing sounds like my virtual surround processor when I didn’t have the jack plugged in quite right. For some reason (phase?) virtual surround has far more trouble with this than ordinary audio does.

Well they're wireless, so yeah.

2 minutes ago, Majora said:

I was just about to say you shouldn't let anyone shame you into not cashing it on it but you shouldn't do it by selling it to people on this forum at an inflated price. It's not good etiquette. 

Sell it on eBay or take it to CEX and make a couple of hundred, that's fine. You bought it with good intentions and it didn't work out. But if you're selling it on this forum it needs to be at cost price in my honest opinion.

I think that's fair comment and tbh was my initial instinct.

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

Tempest 3D Audio thoughts- anyone else think it's just a bit shit? Everything sounds like I've got water in my ears until I turn it off, and I don't get much of a 3D effect. How it'll work on non-headphone speakers I don't know.

The whole audio thing on PS5 is a bit of a mess. Your choices are this:

Go through the headphone jack on the Dualsense which is compressed and can't drive any decent headphones properly.

Use a USB DAC which is fine except the PS5 doesn't support the ten year old UAC2 standard so hardly any DAC's work with it. In addition it doesn't support voice chat over USB apparently.

Finally, the proprietary Pulse headphones which, like all Sony's gaming headphones aren't a great solution either.

But strange they've gone to all the effort with Tempest which, even through the Dualsense Demon's Souls, sounds amazing - just a shame there's no uncompromised way to hear it. 

I’m quite happy with my old Golds (black ones), I notice lots of incidental sounds and 3D space seems good. I immediately picked up more incidental sound in LOU2 on PS5 than PS4 even though I expect that’s nothing to do with the tempest audio. I generally always play with headphones on and would say PS5 is an improvement over PS4. Perhaps I don’t know what I’m missing but I’m happy and wouldn’t really want to spend anymore on headphones than I did with these. I’ll probably replace them with the Pulse headset at some point.