PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

The source of this is that someone asked Neil Druckmann on Twitter what established IPs he would like to make games on. They were:

1) Punisher

2) Half Life

3) Ghost Rider

4) Hotline Miami

5) Cowboy Bebop

I think Sony publishing a game about the first one is as likely as them making a game about the second one.

I think it’s more interesting that he clearly has an interest for ultraviolence as a theme. Not a value judgement (it’s interesting territory), but I’d assumed that the violence in TLoU was a product of the bleak setting, rather than perhaps the other way around.

I cannot see Sony as a conservative multinational entertainment conglomerate attaching their most prominent blockbuster games studio to a character that is currently being appropriated by far-right extremist groups.

On 18/01/2021 at 22:59, denisb said:

I’ve just finished miles morales and think I might like to play the original Spider-Man remastered as I never had it on PS4 .

if I buy the upgrade via miles morales do I need to keep the miles morales disc to play or can I sell it on now I’ve completed ?

It runs without the disc. I bought mine through MM. 

23 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The source of this is that someone asked Neil Druckmann on Twitter what established IPs he would like to make games on. They were:

1) Punisher

2) Half Life

3) Ghost Rider

4) Hotline Miami

5) Cowboy Bebop

I think Sony publishing a game about the first one is as likely as them making a game about the second one.

I think it’s more interesting that he clearly has an interest for ultraviolence as a theme. Not a value judgement (it’s interesting territory), but I’d assumed that the violence in TLoU was a product of the bleak setting, rather than perhaps the other way around.

I cannot see Sony as a conservative multinational entertainment conglomerate attaching their most prominent blockbuster games studio to a character that is currently being appropriated by far-right extremist groups.

Thank the lord.

Snagged a PS5 today :omg:. Can someone help me with these questions please? I'm going from a PS4, so do I need to do anything on my Ps4 to make sure I can transfer all my saved data and account etc? I have PS+, so presumably once I sign in on PS5 that all starts rolling on there?

I found the network transfer very good indeed, left the PS4 on the network and the PS5 transferred over all my PSN accounts and saves. The games themselves I moved over with an external drive, which the games are still on. 

11 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Given that one of the very few consistent criticisms of the games he's directed have been with regards their depictions of violence,* that does make it feel like said critics may have been on to something. I'm not saying he's Frank Miller or anything like that, but it does feel like he sees violence as the sort of 'base level' of humanity to which people inevitably regress under pressure, and is interested in violence as a solution, violence for violence's sake (as distinct from e.g. a Verhoevenesque use of ultraviolence as an over-the-top commentary on capitalist/governmental coercion).

I mean, you can obviously argue that action games do tend to feature violence as their basic solution to every problem, but the Uncharted games opting for large-scale murder as primary verb (rather than, say, featuring a lower headcount and perhaps more puzzle-solving/platforming/stealth elements, all of which would fit in its I Can't Believe It's Not Indiana Croft framing), while TLOUs 1 & 2's recurring themes on the inability to forgive or deal with traumatic events outwith violence are, again, very much not inevitabilities of their respective genres.

Of course, death of the author and all that, but I find it interesting to consider games through the lens of what it's creator was aiming for, what worldview may have led to their design decisions.

*e.g., the [in]famous cries of ludonarrative dissonance over the Uncharted games' scale of violence vs. their light-hearted presentation; the discussions of his presentations of post-disaster societies in The Lasts of Uses as being overly-cynical, even harmful in the view of human nature they espouse

Cannot believe you can still make £175 profit on a PS5 by walking it to CEX. They shouldnt be allowed to sell it beyond the RRP. 

No wonder people finding it so hard to get one even 2 months after release, its free money if you can grab one. But you're a scum bag! 

edit: I got mine on release day, just shocked its still so hard to get one. 

This might seem excessive but I think we need to start treating people who buy from scalpers (including CEX) the same way we treat scalpers. If you are wealthy enough to buy a scalped PS5 and that’s how you choose to use your money you’re not making a morally positive choice.

Re. Uncharted, the first one I played was the Vita one and it clearly genuinely hadn’t occurred to the third party devs that they have to do something to establish Nathan Drake as a Indiana Jones style adventurer at the beginning of the story. So it kicks you off in media res with some platforming for those controls, and those are easy, then you stealth kill the first human beings you encounter so you can learn that relatively low-risk activity, and then it’s guns, and those are more complicated and take more time, and then grenades, and ultimately the first hour of the game has solidly established Nathan Drake as an unstoppable killing machine who eliminates everyone in his path by any means available no matter how brutal and unsporting.

On 20/01/2021 at 21:30, Baring said:

Cannot believe you can still make £175 profit on a PS5 by walking it to CEX. They shouldnt be allowed to sell it beyond the RRP. 

No wonder people finding it so hard to get one even 2 months after release, its free money if you can grab one. But you're a scum bag! 

edit: I got mine on release day, just shocked its still so hard to get one. 

I got two on release and sold the other for a 10 quid loss.

my mate got 800 quid on eBay for one but eBay and PayPal and delivery sting him nearly 100.

I told him he a c@nt scalper.

18 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Turns out it doesn't matter because MS have reversed that decision anyway.

Yeah they rolled that back pretty quickly. Makes you wonder who thought it was a good idea in the first place!

20 hours ago, Quexex said:

Although part of me wonders if this is a ploy by MS to drive people to Gamepass as it represents 'better value' now ...

I think it's this. Xbox Live Gold has been a terrible proposition for ages now (basically since launching Game Pass) as the online experience is just the same as every other platform and the games are now consistently shit every month. It's basically just an Xbox tax and  I think they are now just trying to make it as unattractive as possible so people suck up the little bit extra and go for Game Pass Ultimate (which is definitely a much much better offer) and help towards their overall subscription service strategy.

They probably just feel they can't get away with canning it altogether right now as there would be complaints from people that just want to play games they have bought in shops online without signing up to a full game service. I think it's on borrowed time though.

It's an interesting one as I've been a bit surprised how Sony have seemingly tried to maintain a pretty strong value proposition with PS+, to the point the PS Now isn't something I've ever really considered (even though at it's price it is perhaps better value than Game Pass barring the lack of guaranteed exclusives at launch). I suspect they are just watching how Microsoft get on for now.

Either way, at the moment PS+ and Game Pass Ultimate for me works a treat as a setup.

I think I'd have considered going the other way, halve the price of Xbox Live to put an online play grenade up Sony while discontinuing Games with Gold in order to push people to Game Pass once they're there.

I think the thing is though in most walks of life people will take the easiest option and the vast majority would never upgrade to Game Pass, no matter how attractive a proposition it was. On that basis you can see the logic in putting GWG up to near-Game Pass prices as a better motivator - though, again, a fair amount just wouldn't bother at all and just leave the ecosystem all together.

Has anyone successfully returned a faulty PS5 to Argos? I decided to get stuck into Spidey again, but I can't go 15 to 20 mins without a hard crash where the machine just shuts itself down. I had the console delivered from them at launch.

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Has anyone successfully returned a faulty PS5 to Argos? I decided to get stuck into Spidey again, but I can't go 15 to 20 mins without a hard crash where the machine just shuts itself down. I had the console delivered from them at launch.

Are you after a refund or repair/replacement?

I'd assume replacement won't happen till the stock issues are sorted, if you're after repair then getting in touch with Sony direct is the best bet.

If they piss you about for a refund, get your credit card company involved (if you paid on CC obliviously).

I have a PS5 from Currys and based on how useless they were when my dualsense played up, I'll probably go the direct to Sony route if I have any issues with mine.

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

I’d cut Argos out and go straight to Sony. That way you might actually get a PS5 replacement sometime soon. I had a problem with my PS4 on launch and they replaced it straight away so hopefully they still do that.

EDIT: sorry see this was answered... 

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, it's a replacement I want. Hmm...

Close to zero chance at the moment I'd say. They don't have them to sell, let alone replace faulty stock.

There's also the logistics of logging a fault and arranging a click & collect replacement, who do you even speak to for that with the stores closed?

I'd guess Sony would turn around a fix/replacement faster than Argos will get a reliable supply of stock.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I decided to get stuck into Spidey again, but I can't go 15 to 20 mins without a hard crash where the machine just shuts itself down. I had the console delivered from them at launch.

Just started Miles, played for an hour and it completely froze when I got to his room, then the PS5 wouldn't boot for like a minute. Worst I've had.