PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

This reminds me of a classic thread on britxbox many many many moons ago.

anyway, I deleted a bunch of games and now it wants me to rethink and download them again by leaving their ghosted icons on the taskbar. When do they go away? It’s truncated my games list

2 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

anyway, I deleted a bunch of games and now it wants me to rethink and download them again by leaving their ghosted icons on the taskbar. When do they go away? It’s truncated my games list

Rub some lard on your tv screen, that’ll shift them

11 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

It did this on mine and I gave up trying to sort it so put my ps5 back to factory settings as I didn't have to much setup on it. It worked but hopefully its a bug that is soon fixed. 

1 minute ago, Parappa said:

It did this on mine and I gave up trying to sort it so put my ps5 back to factory settings as I didn't have to much setup on it. It worked but hopefully its a bug that is soon fixed. 

Seriously? FFS

Still not as bad as Xbox one on launch though....not far off.

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

Did you try restoring the databases in safe mode first? Or did you go straight to the nuclear option?

Watched a Blu Ray for the first time on my PS5 last night. Sound worked fine in the PS5 home screen but once I played the BR, I had no sound.

Ended up fixing it buy unplugging the HDMI and re inserting it back in and worked fine then.

My TV is a LG OLED C9. Just in case anyone else has the same issue.

22 minutes ago, ridgeracer said:

Watched a Blu Ray for the first time on my PS5 last night. Sound worked fine in the PS5 home screen but once I played the BR, I had no sound.

Ended up fixing it buy unplugging the HDMI and re inserting it back in and worked fine then.

Are you using the PS5 supplied HDMI cable? I had the same issue but swapped out the cable and it has been fine since.

22 minutes ago, ridgeracer said:

Yeah, took me ages to sort out - finally fixed it by accidentally pressing the netflix button and thus turning the TV to movie mode for sound. I think the PS5 doesn't do a great job of telling the TV what it's doing (see numerous HDR not working posts too). Should be fixed once they sort out ALLM, VRR etc

11 hours ago, Quexex said:

Did you try restoring the databases in safe mode first? Or did you go straight to the nuclear option?

Straight for nuke. Good shout though didn't think about the restoring DB option BUT I think I had done that earlier due to a failed boot and it made no difference. 

2 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Straight for nuke. Good shout though didn't think about the restoring DB option BUT I think I had done that earlier due to a failed boot and it made no difference. 

Guess that's the advantage MS has with the Series X/S it's just a derivative of the Windows OS, where as Sony starts a new OS basically from the ground up (with a little help from Open Source Unix) for every platform. I was reading an old thread on GAF comparing the two consoles with the OS being a significant win for PS5 as it has a lower performance footprint than the Series X/S. Obviously the downside of starting from scratch is that whilst you get performance gains you also get many more issues on basic things. 

28 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

The pause between pressing the PS button and getting the bottom menu ribbon up is annoyingly just too long.

Hence why it was more logical to put it under long press, rather than tap. It really is a baffling decision to swap those around.

23 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Hence why it was more logical to put it under long press, rather than tap. It really is a baffling decision to swap those around.

It still bakes my noodle. I just can’t get used to it.

When I want to turn it off I still even now hold the button down and go “....wtf”

Anyway to stop the game specific music that plays when you highlight games on the dashboard? I don't want to turn all system music off as i quite like the soothing menu sounds but when you go on a game's page some of the music seems obnoxiously loud for some reason.

Also have we seen the end of themes? RIP my Firewatch theme, we had a good few years together!

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

The pause between pressing the PS button and getting the bottom menu ribbon up is annoyingly just too long.

I've been noticing the same thing but I'm sure it wasn't like this at launch. I remember it all being very smooth and slick but recently the activity cards and bottom menu bar feel like they take longer to load in properly.

46 minutes ago, Majora said:

I've been noticing the same thing but I'm sure it wasn't like this at launch. I remember it all being very smooth and slick but recently the activity cards and bottom menu bar feel like they take longer to load in properly.

When you say there’s a delay.......how long are we talking? I’d not noticed anything so just checked. It’s pretty much instant on mine. 

Had my second little issue earlier though. Tried to launch WRC9 and it started up but then I got an error message telling me there was a problem with the app. Sent a report then reloaded and it seemed to be fine. Hopefully stays that way!

2 hours ago, Harrisown said:

It still bakes my noodle. I just can’t get used to it.

When I want to turn it off I still even now hold the button down and go “....wtf”

It is a pain but imagine you are Japanese with swapped Cross and Circle after 4 previous generations of muscle memory... 

3 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Does everyone’s PS5 emit a sound whilst in rest mode? Sounds like there’s constantly a fan on when it’s resting. It’s pretty quiet and I don’t hear it when watching TV but when the house is silent I can hear it.

Yeah. occasionally, if it's downloading something in rest mode or charging controllers I can hear a faint hum if the room is totally silent.

For the lols I just googled 'Coil Whine' as it's a term that has been banded about the internet since the PS5 launch - here's an extreme example - first hit on Youtube

If I had any electronics that made that kind of noise I'd send them back immediately! My PS5 does not sound anything like this either whilst doing in rest mode or during play... Thank god!

43 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Think that is what people are calling "coil whine". Is it quite high pitched? Mine does the same. 

No it’s not high pitched. It’s barely noticeable. It’s similar to a sky box when it’s recording to the hard drive or something. Just some noise rather than the absence of noise (like a PS4 in rest mode).