PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

11 minutes ago, MattyP said:

That would make sense. Wonder if they had supply issues for the 23 blade fan units? Or perhaps they are cheaper and Sony are already cost-reducing the hardware.

It would be pretty impressive of Sony to start nickel and diming on console features before it even launched, usually they give it a few months.

2 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

It would be pretty impressive of Sony to start nickel and diming on console features before it even launched, usually they give it a few months.

Well they building them as we type this and its and it's an easy replacement part. Who knows... 

26 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Sony have asked me to send them my console to look at.

In #fangate news, here's a French site finding that their retail-purxhased unit has a fan with less blades than their review unit, and is noisier; they apparently tore down five units and no two had the same fan model! So maybe the noisy fan issue will be resolvable with a simple swap to a 23-blade fan instead of a 17-blade one.

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/console-de-jeu/labo-playstation-5-et-bruit-toutes-les-consoles-ne-sont-pas-dotees-du-meme-ventilateur-n157521.html

I'd imagine they are supply constrained, with different factories able to procure slightly different parts.   

14 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Next gen Fifa and Madden are up a day early on PS5, Fifa is pretty glorious, I’m loving it.

I bought the Champions Edition but can only seem to download the PS5 version of the Beckham Edition. Is that normal?

I got the CoD Ultimate edition - it seems that I can download the PS5 version now - but more curiously I can also download the PS4 version to my PS4. Is that going to work, my son really want to play it and he's inherited the PS4Pro.

17 minutes ago, Quexex said:

I got the CoD Ultimate edition - it seems that I can download the PS5 version now - but more curiously I can also download the PS4 version to my PS4. Is that going to work, my son really want to play it and he's inherited the PS4Pro.

Yeah, you own both. Think the PS4 needs to be set as the primary PS4 for your PSN account, but the neat thing is you can have a primary PS4 and a primary PS5 and they both work perfect. 

6 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Yeah, you own both. Think the PS4 needs to be set as the primary PS4 for your PSN account, but the neat thing is you can have a primary PS4 and a primary PS5 and they both work perfect. 

Ah that's really good to know. So my Son can play online and access all my games :)

23 minutes ago, Sng said:

Also they said there's no crossplay on Fifa between PS4 and PS5 but if you download the PS4 version on the PS5 you can play crossplay against someone on a PS4.

I understand from a technical standpoint why it's like this, but Sony's cross-gen situation is very 2013, and largely down on publishers doing a lot of leg work it seems. It's like their digital Vs disc setup- the version of Fallout 4 on the UK PSN, for instance, is the EU mainland version, so it won't work with saves from a UK disc version.

8 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I understand from a technical standpoint why it's like this, but Sony's cross-gen situation is very 2013, and largely down on publishers doing a lot of leg work it seems. It's like their digital Vs disc setup- the version of Fallout 4 on the UK PSN, for instance, is the EU mainland version, so it won't work with saves from a UK disc version.

The multiplayer divide is the same for FIFA on Xbox, so I'd say the lack of cross-generation play is more likely down to the builds being markedly different in some way, such as physics.

I've no interest in football, much less the virtual kind, but I will say Frostbite's new hair tech is very impressive. Maybe I'll be able to play a BioWare game without Lego hair-hats one day.

with regards to bloodborne maybe getting a remaster, I can’t think of anything more pointless. It just needs a patch , resolution and frame rate.

Its an all time classic but I got the platinum on it and can’t ever imagine wanting to play it again.

41 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

with regards to bloodborne maybe getting a remaster, I can’t think of anything more pointless. It just needs a patch , resolution and frame rate.

Its an all time classic but I got the platinum on it and can’t ever imagine wanting to play it again.

I think will be comparable to Spider-Man PS5. 60 fps + 4K + DualSense features and 3D audio.

52 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I think will be comparable to Spider-Man PS5. 60 fps + 4K + DualSense features and 3D audio.

But it would be such a minor upgrade.

And could be done (a number out if my arse) in 3 months just patching the frame pacing, resolution and unlocking the frame rate.

4 hours ago, Spacehost said:

its reasonable standard to have engineering samples that are always the best of the best - I used to be able to get ES intel CPU’s and they were always hand picked and could be clocked way higher than off the shelf parts.

Explains why the press said the pre release machines were silent and the retail units are not - I know from watching the Xbox side all the influencers etc got pre release units they had to send back and were then given retail units - is that the same on Sony side do we know?

4 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Sony have asked me to send them my console to look at.

In #fangate news, here's a French site finding that their retail-purxhased unit has a fan with less blades than their review unit, and is noisier; they apparently tore down five units and no two had the same fan model! So maybe the noisy fan issue will be resolvable with a simple swap to a 23-blade fan instead of a 17-blade one.

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/console-de-jeu/labo-playstation-5-et-bruit-toutes-les-consoles-ne-sont-pas-dotees-du-meme-ventilateur-n157521.html

4 hours ago, MattyP said:

That would make sense. Wonder if they had supply issues for the 23 blade fan units? Or perhaps they are cheaper and Sony are already cost-reducing the hardware.

5 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

its reasonable standard to have engineering samples that are always the best of the best - I used to be able to get ES intel CPU’s and they were always hand picked and could be clocked way higher than off the shelf parts.

Explains why the press said the pre release machines were silent and the retail units are not - I know from watching the Xbox side all the influencers etc got pre release units they had to send back and were then given retail units - is that the same on Sony side do we know?

Surely they wouldn't be daft enough to think no one would notice the fan difference.   Like there can't be THAT much of a price difference between a 21 blad fan and a 17 blade fan seeing as that's the main thinkig that's pushing airflow and therefore cooling

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

Surely they wouldn't be daft enough to think no one would notice the fan difference.   Like there can't be THAT much of a price difference between a 21 blad fan and a 17 blade fan seeing as that's the main thinkig that's pushing airflow and therefore cooling

It was the same with the PS3, depending on which factory you it came from you got different numbers of blades, with 23-blade ones being highly sought after for their mythical inability to YLOD. Frankly it’s probably a load of old shite, and they’ll be rated for the same cubic centimetres per second of airflow, I’d just like the quieter one.

I imagine it's probably just a case of them sourcing parts from multiple suppliers. They'll have been given a space they need to fit in to, an amount of air they have to move with a certain amount of power, a certain noise level and so on, and two (looks like maybe three, possibly more) companies came up with fans that met the criteria.

But yeah they were for sure picking the optimum, flawless units as review samples. That's just what happens. You don't think of consumer electronics as being these hand-crafted things with subtle item-to-item variation but that's closer to how it actually works.

4 hours ago, Sng said:

I bought the Champions Edition but can only seem to download the PS5 version of the Beckham Edition. Is that normal?

Yeah, the different edition is only different pre-order bonuses and stuff, you already would have got all of that man.

3 hours ago, Spacehost said:

There's no crossplay between Xbox Series and Xbox One consoles for Fifa 21 or Madden either, it's a totally different game.

20 hours ago, Parappa said:

30 mins on hold to Sony about my controller and now waiting for the return forms in the post having provided a little info. Seemed pretty good to me. 

30 minutes on hold and then being posted some forms feels like a pretty bad level of support.

Did they give you any idea what happened next after the forms are filled in and how long the replacement process takes?

I had a look at the support website which tells me to ring 0203 441 3013.

The website doesn't mention opening hours though and of course I get an automated message telling me it's closed.

Anyone know the best site which has a very comprehensive (updating) list of PS4 >> PS5 compatibility and what if any, enhancements have been added to the PS5 version? I've lost the link and when I try and find it again I get a squillion Google results and nothing close to the site I found. I say I found, but I'm sure I found the link from somewhen here on one of these posts.

Anyone? :blink2:

48 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

There's no crossplay between Xbox Series and Xbox One consoles for Fifa 21 or Madden either, it's a totally different game.

Have you noticed much difference? I’m playing on series x and it looks a little crisper but otherwise the same. 

43 minutes ago, nevsan said:

Anyone know the best site which has a very comprehensive (updating) list of PS4 >> PS5 compatibility and what if any, enhancements have been added to the PS5 version? I've lost the link and when I try and find it again I get a squillion Google results and nothing close to the site I found. I say I found, but I'm sure I found the link from somewhen here on one of these posts.

Anyone? :blink2:

Check the opening post

3 hours ago, cubik said:

30 minutes on hold and then being posted some forms feels like a pretty bad level of support.

Did they give you any idea what happened next after the forms are filled in and how long the replacement process takes?

I had a look at the support website which tells me to ring 0203 441 3013.

The website doesn't mention opening hours though and of course I get an automated message telling me it's closed.

Yeah. They will send another within 15 days of receiving the faulty one. 

Apologies for a noisy console post but the coil whine on mine, if indeed that’s what it is, is only present when idling on the dashboard.  As soon as I boot up a game it goes away and after 2 hours of Miles Morales this afternoon, the fan is barely audible. Isn’t that completely arse about face?

The dashboard noise is noticeably louder and high pitched as soon as I turn it on but not enough to really bother me as I game pretty much exclusively with headphones; I only really noticed it today when I was downloading something in a silent room. Weird that it only does it when the machine is doing nothing though. 

4 hours ago, Chooch said:

Have you noticed much difference? I’m playing on series x and it looks a little crisper but otherwise the same. 

Mainly the fact it's like the pre-patch Xbox One/PS4 version of the game, so i'm scoring about 7 goals per game online as people can't rely on the AI to defend for them :lol: