PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

If it's the same process as a dodgy dual shock 4, just stick the serial number off the dual sense on to the ps support website and if they need it back they will email you a label to print, drop it off at the post office and you'll get a new one back in a few days. No point wasting hours trying to get them on the phone 

5 hours ago, MattyP said:

They'll be a black controller and console at some point. It's what I'm hoping for anyway. 

I'm fully committed to picking up a white one next week but am desperately hoping for black replacement plates ASAP. And, in an ideal world, some way to turn off that tacky blue LED. It is a hideous looking thing.

6 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

No option for that in the settings.

Didn't someone here mention they were going to try some sort of sticker to put over LEDs?

I'd be happy with an old skool approach!

Of course, I shouldn't really care nor judge as my (now living room based) PC is gaudier than SOHO. I think it is the combination of white body and blue LED that is, for me, uniquely tacky.,

There’s been a sale on PSN for a few days now. You wouldn’t know it from the store section on PS5.

Infact you would be forgiven for thinking there was only about 20 games available in the PlayStation universe if you look at this PS5 store. Zero demo section either.

Its beyond shit. It’s not fit for purpose.

Actually it’s utterly shameful that Sony haven’t planned this out. They haven’t looked at the store of old and had a billion ideas about how it could be be done better. They haven’t looked at the most popular shopping sites out there and asked themselves why people shop there and how could they get some of that on to their next generation platform.

They just said “just stick a few games into that page....yeah like that, that’ll do.”

8 hours ago, Down by Law said:

If it's the same process as a dodgy dual shock 4, just stick the serial number off the dual sense on to the ps support website and if they need it back they will email you a label to print, drop it off at the post office and you'll get a new one back in a few days. No point wasting hours trying to get them on the phone 

Great post but needed a link.

https://hardware.support.playstation.com/en_GB#/

7 hours ago, Harrisown said:

There’s been a sale on PSN for a few days now. You wouldn’t know it from the store section on PS5.

Infact you would be forgiven for thinking there was only about 20 games available in the PlayStation universe if you look at this PS5 store. Zero demo section either.

Its beyond shit. It’s not fit for purpose.

Actually it’s utterly shameful that Sony haven’t planned this out. They haven’t looked at the store of old and had a billion ideas about how it could be be done better. They haven’t looked at the most popular shopping sites out there and asked themselves why people shop there and how could they get some of that on to their next generation platform.

They just said “just stick a few games into that page....yeah like that, that’ll do.”

Use the app. Much better. 

I agree the store on the console is a bit bemusing. It looks like one of those hub pages, which gives you like a teaser or quick links, before you actually launch the store, but in this case, there is no actual store, just this really rubbish thing they've put together. It all looks placeholder, with games they announced months ago saying "just announced" and "coming soon" and actual stuff that you can play now much harder to find.

The weird integrated search in the console is very unintuitive. The new Xbox store is much better.

But as someone who doesn't really buy digital games if physical is available, I don't really care, and I couldn't be happier with the console, otherwise. The UI is still a bit clunky, but I'm getting used to it, and having finished one great game (Miles Morales) and moved onto another (Ghost of Tsushima), the thing feels wonderfully powerful, and paired with my new headphones, it feels wonderfully next gen. 

Looks like Sony will have a great line up. Intrigued to see if a new Silent Hill makes it out - great that it has the original music composer and monster artist on board too. Hoping this is actually a thing and not just rumours. Always a shame they didn't get something sorted after the popularity of the PT demo. Think people were even paying over the odds on eBay etc for consoles with that installed.

The store appears to be broken at the moment - both the app and the website won't allow me to set off CoD downloading - The app wants me to buy it again, lol the website won't show my purchases...

Hopefully this is a sign of them fixing the god awful mess of crossgen downloads.

Over the past week or so I've now got myself out of the muscle memory for going back to the hub or using the quick bar which thankfully means I'm not getting the two mixed up which was frustrating when used to long pressing the PS Button to close the system off.

I did find the pad a bit uncomfy on Worms Rumble; I have quite small hands and my thumb was feeling like it'd had a work out. Hopefully in time I'll adjust. I still automatically reach to the D Pad because of the shape being similar to an Xbox pad to control the left stick, again I hope this comes naturally as it did with a DS4.

48 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Yeah, and most of Bend Studio have left...

Two people left, including the director over a year ago. :)
Sony Bend has over 130 employees, they're not going anywhere.

As for Silent Hill, 
KatharsisT doubled-down on that and says it's still in development and in good shape. 

The rest of that list doesn't seem too far-fetched. The ones I'm not too sure about are the FromSoft collab (though I guess anything could happen it Sony throws enough money at it) and RaySpace. 

1 minute ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

There have been other Bend devs announcing they're moving on on Twitter this week.

Oh, I'n sure other people will move jobs as well, as is very common in this industry, especially after completion of a big project. I don't think any of this signals trouble at Bend, especially since Days Gone sold really well. They're still hiring too.

5 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

There have been other Bend devs announcing they're moving on on Twitter this week.

Bluepoint was founded by ex-Retro Studio peeps. Change is the only constant. Unless the entire work force walks out at once, it's going to be a ship of Theseus.

13 hours ago, Wiper said:

I'm just hoping they release some plates that are a little more garish. When you've gone for such an outlandish, oversized design I feel you should lean into it.

The moment I have the option to go full vaporwave and/or glitch-art aesthetic with those plates is the moment I rearrange my living room to put the PS5 in a position of prominence, rather than have it cowering in shame beside the TV stand.

You need to look into what people have been doing with hydro dipping, I’ve seen some that make the PS5 look acceptable :o 

Sony have asked me to send them my console to look at.

In #fangate news, here's a French site finding that their retail-purxhased unit has a fan with less blades than their review unit, and is noisier; they apparently tore down five units and no two had the same fan model! So maybe the noisy fan issue will be resolvable with a simple swap to a 23-blade fan instead of a 17-blade one.

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/console-de-jeu/labo-playstation-5-et-bruit-toutes-les-consoles-ne-sont-pas-dotees-du-meme-ventilateur-n157521.html

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

As for Silent Hill, KatharsisT doubled-down on that and says it's still in development and in good shape. 

Guessing this will be a Sony exclusive if and when it shows up....

Decided to wait a while before hunting a PS5 down, until the Xmas craziness has died down a bit and a few more actual PS5 exclusive titles are released that I want to play other than Astrobot. Jak and Daxter looks great. Also love a bit of Gran Turismo too... Not seen a release date for GT7 yet other than "first half 2021". Given its track record I expect it will be winter next year.. perhaps (hopefully) September time.

Suppose the other advantage of this is I can keep an eye on the how the launch hardware goes and see if any issues come up with it. Should have settled down once all the first batches of hardware have been shipped out.

8 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Sony have asked me to send them my console to look at.

In #fangate news, here's a French site finding that their retail-purxhased unit has a fan with less blades than their review unit, and is noisier; they apparently tore down five units and no two had the same fan model! So maybe the noisy fan issue will be resolvable with a simple swap to a 23-blade fan instead of a 17-blade one.

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/console-de-jeu/labo-playstation-5-et-bruit-toutes-les-consoles-ne-sont-pas-dotees-du-meme-ventilateur-n157521.html

That would make sense. Wonder if they had supply issues for the 23 blade fan units? Or perhaps they are cheaper and Sony are already cost-reducing the hardware.