PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

What’s the deal with HDR? It appears it’s always on, whereas with the PS4 Pro my Samsung TV would only engage HDR mode when it booted a native HDR game or movie. 

Played a couple of 2D pixel art games (Darius and Metal Slug) and the colours look way off with HDR automatically kicking in. 

Then tried disabling HDR completely In the PS5 settings, which would be a pain to do manually for every non-HDR game, and that doesn’t look right either.

I hope Sony patch in an option to allow HDR to only kick in on actual HDR designed content, as per PS4 Pro.

Having been lucky enough to pick up a Series X and PS5, I think the PS5 wins for me. Between Demon's Souls and Spider-Man there's nothing on the Series X that feels as 'next-gen', older games in better quality doesn't quite have the same ring. The controller is such a wow factor as well.

7 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Having a weird issue with Crash N. Sane from the PS+ Collection.

I downloaded it the other day and played a level. Tonight it says it is installed but on the thumbnail there's the PS+ logo and the download arrow.

If I click on the bar that says installed nothing happens.

Is the data corrupt? If so how the hell do I delete in order to redownload? There's no option at all.

I've rebuilt database but that didn't help and the game isn't listed on either internal or extended storage in the settings area.

Can you not delete it from settings/storage?

6 hours ago, Spacehost said:

I think I’m going to take advantage of the eBay insanity and flip this machine. I LOVE Demon’s Souls and the new pad but it’s daft buying the machine just for that, especially when it’s annoying me. I’ve still not finished FFVII Remake or Death Stranding! I don’t even have a 4K or HDR TV!

I know I could sell to one of you lot for cost, but that extra money could go to any number of things I’ve been putting off doing in my flat because I thought I’d buy a £450 games console in the middle of a recession in the middle of a pandemic in the middle of having a child. Let someone with more money than sense divest themselves of some of it so I can put some shelves up and get new curtains in.

Lost your Christmas spirit then? :lol:

No further news from Sony?

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Can you not delete it from settings/storage?

No, it wasn't showing there.

DB rebuild did nothing either. Nor unplugging the HDD.

In the end I factory reset and managed to download it to internal storage. It then errors saying it was installed one external too and needed to be deleted from one of them.

I think there may have been an issue when I originally moved it from internal to external.

All good now though.

45 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

No, it wasn't showing there.

DB rebuild did nothing either. Nor unplugging the HDD.

In the end I factory reset and managed to download it to internal storage. It then errors saying it was installed one external too and needed to be deleted from one of them.

I think there may have been an issue when I originally moved it from internal to external.

All good now though.

Yeah this is another reason to wait on using external storage, Sony will need a few firmware updates to fix the OS.

8 hours ago, Spacehost said:

I think I’m going to take advantage of the eBay insanity and flip this machine. I LOVE Demon’s Souls and the new pad but it’s daft buying the machine just for that, especially when it’s annoying me. I’ve still not finished FFVII Remake or Death Stranding! I don’t even have a 4K or HDR TV!

I know I could sell to one of you lot for cost, but that extra money could go to any number of things I’ve been putting off doing in my flat because I thought I’d buy a £450 games console in the middle of a recession in the middle of a pandemic in the middle of having a child. Let someone with more money than sense divest themselves of some of it so I can put some shelves up and get new curtains in.

Ewww scalpers :( 

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Lost your Christmas spirit then? :lol:

No further news from Sony?

Fuck all. Going to give it until the weekend before I start thinking about doing a listing.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Personally, I would go with CEX. £600, no eBay/PP fees, no stress of being scammed, no guilt over making some poor sod pay an exorbitant sum and if someone does decide to pay their silly price at the moment, they at least get an 18 mo warranty. 

Considering it now you've mentioned it, and they're open for drop-offs. I'm not going to feel much guilt to be honest, if you can pay £800 for a games console in this climate you're not exactly days away from living on the street.

4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

As much as I love taking the moral high ground it doesn't pay my credit card off.

35 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

:hmm:

Decent. I wasn't actually expecting monthly PS5 games and Worms Rumble is a laugh.

Interesting to see (more) EA games on here - suggests we could get most of what's on EA Play through PS+ eventually anyway! However, Rocket Arena is dogshit.

After a week of ownership, I'm very happy with my PS5. It helps a lot that I don't have a noisy one (Although I do hear the mechanical tick/chirp/whatever when the fan kicks in, it's pretty quiet and easily absorbed into my room until I'm playing super-quietly at midnight) and haven't had any hard OS crashes or game deletions.

The load times are obviously the big improvement. Mile Morales loads to the game super-quickly from the cards or even just from cold booting normally, Astrobot loading directly to a speedrun start line from a notification that someone beat you (and the notification includes your and their times, so you know what you're trying to achieve) is all slick and rapid. The controller is nice, and the combination of controller audio, the haptics and the triggers does feel really good. I wouldn't want every game to be Astrobot, but the small ways it's used in Mile Morales also feel nice even though it's much more subtle. You can nicely feel the trigger point where you'll swing a web.

It's a strong launch line-up, the much criticised £70 launch titles aren't universal pricing, the PSN sale has landed at a very good time (WRC 9, I'm looking at you for a buy before the end of the month) and when I've done Miles and Astrobot I still have more than one other good title to move onto (Demon's would obviously last ages, but also Sackboy as a surprise good title) - and it seems they'll have a reasonable flow of new titles next year also (we're promised Ratchet, Returnal and GT7 in the first half of the year, right?) So it seems like a good launch to me.

I imagine you'll feel differently if you've been suffering crashes, mind you.

There are a few oddnesses with it that I don't love. The most obvious being the audio output oddness - the default is PCM output, but when you have that selected and outputting to a TV it seems it drops the centre track and you lose (for example) all the dialogue in Miles Morales until you realise and switch to Dolby output instead. I assume that's not what people would want to do, given it's not the default. And the video handling clearly isn't quite finished - no VRR, no ALLM, the way it drops to 422 output when you go to 120Hz, apparently some odd forced HDR on SDR content (not that I've experienced this as yet.)

I would take the video gaps happily as being choices about what you deliver versus when the launch date is - there clearly isn't much VRR or 120Hz content yet, but I hope they do get resolved. The audio I hope is a bug that gets fixed also.

Overall, very happy.

41 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

if you can pay £800 for a games console in this climate you're not exactly days away from living on the street.

I think there are all sorts of people out there paying over the odds, and more often than not they're not particularly good with money or it's emotional/situational factors making them spend the money, rather than being rich.

Regardless, I really hope Sony can address the stock situation to put an end to people paying over the odds.

Re: Destiny 2 - apparently the PS5 version is also coming on Dec 8th. I don't care enough about it to pay £35 for Beyond Light ( especially when it's free on GP), but I'll happily download it to try Crucible in 120fps. I just want to see a 120fps game!

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think there are all sorts of people out there paying over the odds, and more often than not they're not particularly good with money or it's emotional/situational factors making them spend the money, rather than being rich.

Regardless, I really hope Sony can address the stock situation to put an end to people paying over the odds.

Yeah, fair.

I fully expect Sony to keep pumping these out at a fair rate, I think the Christmas run-up will be the last time we'll see this selling over the odds.

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I feel there's quite a difference between actually using the machine and deciding you don't actually want the it right now versus those buying it purely to sell it on, or those who ordered from multiple places and then decide to sell those spares at inflated prices. Whilst many probably just view the latter group as not so bad, I think they very much are.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

The controller is nice, and the combination of controller audio, the haptics and the triggers does feel really good. I wouldn't want every game to be Astrobot, but the small ways it's used in Mile Morales also feel nice even though it's much more subtle. You can nicely feel the trigger point where you'll swing a web.

I agree with this. Playing PS4 games and suddenly losing all and any trigger resistance is really noticeable. It'll be interesting to see how I feel about playing games on Xbox without the triggers over the course of the gen.