PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

14 hours ago, StephenM said:

Well, that Astrobot really is something. 

I've had fairly limited time but managed to sit down and kill the first boss in DS and do some levelling up and managed a world on this. These two games alone would make it Sony's best launch lineup and I haven't even thought about MM (but it actually sounds pretty good as well). They really have got a couple of absolute stonkers here, though. They ooze care and attention on every level.

Am I right in saying that the only way to put this in rest mode is to press the PS button, navigate to the power menu in that wee sub-menu at the bottom of the screen, then select rest mode?

I miss the quick menu the PS4 had from a long press on the PS button. Although thinking about it, it's technically less button presses to get there with PS5. I suppose it's just a case of muscle memory making it seem easier by comparison.

43 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

Again, Demon’s Souls! It sounds absolutely stunning! Fireballs and arrows whizzing past your head, dragons sweeping down from above you, enemies creeping up behind you. The 3D audio is so, soooooo good!

The sound in Demon's is a bit too good in places. :(

52 minutes ago, Steven said:

I've had fairly limited time but managed to sit down and kill the first boss in DS and do some levelling up and managed a worldl on this. These two games alone would make it Sony's best launch lineup and I haven't even thought about MM (but it actually sounds pretty good as well). They really have got a couple of absolute stonkers here, though. They ooze care and attention on every level.

Don’t sleep on Sackboy either, it’s great!

Then there’s the Plus collection stuff that gets a nice performance jump too. I feel a bit spoiled for what to play - really great launch lineup.

10 hours ago, StephenM said:

Well, that Astrobot really is something. 

Taking a break from it to do some admin: is there a way to transfer other user accounts over from PS4? I had ones set up for the kids but not PS+. 

Are they registered on PlayStation with an email/login? If yes you can use same QR code method from the mobile app to log them in, this is what I did for my kids.

6 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

Am I right in saying that the only way to put this in rest mode is to press the PS button, navigate to the power menu in that wee sub-menu at the bottom of the screen, then select rest mode?

I miss the quick menu the PS4 had from a long press on the PS button. Although thinking about it, it's technically less button presses to get there with PS5. I suppose it's just a case of muscle memory making it seem easier by comparison.

Yeah the OS needs some quality of life improvement in areas, I also miss that quick power menu, folders uploading PS4 saves to the cloud direct from the options menu on a game.

The UI is certainly bonkers. It feels like a mishmash of the game bar, the three top right icons and then the quick menu. Each of these things feels really poorly integrated with one another and I’m baffled by the decision making. I think I went to the store and then realised I had to scroll back to the top and then all the way over to the top right to use the universal search. 

Not being able to hold the PS button to turn it off is another head scratcher.

The Xbox Guide menu is far superior and can get you to where you want to be in the system within seconds. Hopefully they’ll sort the PS5 one out, but it feels like it needs a lot of work. 

I can’t believe that the “copying” part of update/patch installs is still a thing :( I’ve been amazed at the speed of the loading times with the SSD and then was disappointed to have to sit through 5 minutes of copying to install a patch that took 10 seconds to download.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/11/21/why-does-the-ps5-still-have-the-dreaded-copying-phase/

16 minutes ago, bobontheway said:

I can’t believe that the “copying” part of update/patch installs is still a thing :( I’ve been amazed at the speed of the loading times with the SSD and then was disappointed to have to sit through 5 minutes of copying to install a patch that took 10 seconds to download.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/11/21/why-does-the-ps5-still-have-the-dreaded-copying-phase/

It is indeed rather rubbish. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing - I’m sure the UI came in very hot.

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
1 hour ago, MansizeRooster said:

Being able to launch right into a save game via the activity cards in seconds is astounding. One change I'd probably make is to make launching into your current save the default action, instead of launching to the game's title screen.

None of the games I have (Astrobot, Demon's Souls, Sackboy) support this. It's all just options to launch a particular level which isn't usually what I want. Which games support loading a save game directly from the activity cards? 

What would you want from Astrobot that it doesn't support? I was going to post about how great I was finding the integration there. I get a notification that someone's beaten one of my speedruns, and I load directly to the start line in seconds. I can load to the levels directly.

I do understand the Quick Resume feature on the xbox is obviously a suspended state of exactly where you were, but I'm not sure I'm losing much without that.

Rest mode still suspends the game in its state and you can turn it on and pick up where you were, that works in Astrobot. Not seen any cards with straight load into save though. Not sure I want a 'suspend' feature on all games really when its pretty fast to load an alternative title up.

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

It is indeed rather rubbish. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing - I’m sure the UI came in very hot.

It absolutely has to be as even Cerny pointed out in his presentation that this will be a thing of the past. 

Except, I then clicked on the link and saw that they were complaining about Destiny 2, which is still a PS4 game and will not act any differently if installed on internal SSD or External which is entirely to be expected. So this is an absolutely nothing story and full-on click bait. 

If it was PS5 games doing this then yeah! But it's a PS4 game so it's going to act the same as it does on PS4, as it's a PS4 game. 

1 hour ago, bobontheway said:

It's totally bizarre why it takes so long? I was moving a game from the internal drive on my Series X to the expansion card and despite it being 70 odd gigs it took just over a minute. Yet the patch for MM that was copying took 5 minutes? 

I'm really loving the console, but all those reviewers saying the UI felt next gen need their bumps feeling.