PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

@Nathan Wind Cheers for the write up. Interested to see if it develops over time.

@gospvg My 'other' segment is now 102gb and I'm not really sure why either. Current free space on mine is 4.8gb and I've got 24 games and 5 apps installed though :blink:

In other news... Demon Souls really is bloody good isn't it. Finally started it this morning having never played it before and it is gorgeous and I'm already hooked. However I'm also getting nothing on the adaptive triggers playing as a knight @Quexex which I thought was a bit strange as I was expecting it to use the full haptic set.

6 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

@gospvg My 'other' segment is now 102gb and I'm not really sure why either. Current free space on mine is 4.8gb and I've got 24 games and 5 apps installed though :blink:

I would get rid of some installs to give the console some more free space.

19 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I would get rid of some installs to give the console some more free space.

I will if I get any issues but it's running fast, absolutely silky smooth and silent at the moment so I can't really complain. My gut feeling is that it portions off any virtual memory requirements into that 'other' segment so I'm not sure you need much headroom. I may hit issues with updates downloading I suppose (unless that is also covered).

Interesting the 'other' seemed to jump up a) with GT Sport's 90gb install, and then again as I put Demon Souls on with about 70gb left available. I wonder if it just ring fences some for internal processes as you get close to the limit? I dunno. Anyway, as I say while it's running fine I'm not going to stress about it (until Cyberpunk arrives :facepalm: ).

2 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I will if I get any issues but it's running fast, absolutely silky smooth and silent at the moment so I can't really complain. My gut feeling is that it portions off any virtual memory requirements into that 'other' segment so I'm not sure you need much headroom. I may hit issues with updates downloading I suppose (unless that is also covered).

Interesting the 'other' seemed to jump up a) with GT Sport's 90gb install, and then again as I put Demon Souls on with about 70gb left available. I wonder if it just ring fences some for internal processes as you get close to the limit? I dunno. Anyway, as I say while it's running fine I'm not going to stress about it (until Cyberpunk arrives :facepalm: ).

I would free up some space just in case.

Spoiler

image.png

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

This might have been asked before but is anyone sometimes having problems with their controller not charging when the system is in rest mode?

I’ve turn on USBs in rest mode but I’ve just put the system into rest mode now and I can see the controller isn’t charging.

Yes, I turned mine on yesterday to find it hadn't charged the pad at all!

2 hours ago, Sng said:

I have the digital version as well and can barely hear a thing. I wonder if a lot of noise is coming from the drive.

It seems so. I’ll try it without a disk in to see if that makes a difference. It’s not even a loud noise but now I’m listening for it.

3 hours ago, MikeF said:

So WRC9, is it worth the £24.99 that it is currently on sale for?

Plan on getting Cold War too on Friday

Yeah, 100%. The amount of content it already has is amazing and it’s getting free updates, with even more stages and game modes. Grab a discounted wallet top up off Shopto or CDkeys and you can get it for around £20.

46 minutes ago, polygon_monkey said:

Has anyone managed to update Assassin’s Creed Valhalla PS4 to PS5?

Nope! Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion and For Honor PS5 upgrades are all unavailable for me. It’s well shit. You can apparently play them by setting up a 2nd account with your location as Turkey, but fuck that. Any future DLC might not work.

2 hours ago, sbrandon111 said:

Yes, absolutely worth that. 

19 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

Yeah, 100%. The amount of content it already has is amazing and it’s getting free updates, with even more stages and game modes. Grab a discounted wallet top up off Shopto or CDkeys and you can get it for around £20.

Downloaded, ready to have a look at tomorrow

41 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Well, I’ve been playing since about 7PM, and after feeling slightly underwhelmed after my initial time with it earlier today, I think this might be the most convincing console launch of all time for me. The hardware feels new and next gen, but more importantly, the games feel next gen, too. Miles Morales looks phenomenal, the loading is basically non-existent, and ray tracing really adds something to how cinematic the world feels. When I turn it off, I definitely notice the difference as I swing through the city. The fact that the console has the power to run it flawlessly in either mode is impressive, too. The PS4 never really impressed me with its power. In fact, it disappointed me from the get go, as it was less powerful than my years old PC.

And Astrobot - I’ve done Cooling Springs and SSD Speedway now. The former was largely spoiled in all the preview stuff, but the latter was absolutely magical and has reminded me just how much Playstation has been a part of my life over the years. I had a huge smile on my face throughout - there’s humour, nostalgia for old hardware - some of which I forgot existed, and seeing games I played as a kid being acted out by the bots is just wonderful. As for the controller, I’m used to the feedback now and find it less distracting. I think the triggers are brilliant. The rest of the HD rumble stuff is fine but nothing revolutionary.

Then I loaded up Infamous First Light, which runs at a solid 60fps in the unlocked mode. And lastly, I loaded up Resogun, the first game I ever played on my PS4. 

So yeah, it feels next gen, it feels powerful and the games are already bloody marvelous.

Love the in depth report! I’ve dabbled with a few things but also spent ages messing around with the settings and just getting a feel it all. 

Funnily enough, I quickly fired up Miles Morales to get my graphical wow moment - I’m in a part where the snow is particularly grey and wasn’t impressed much. 

But, for the first time ever, I switched to 60FPS mode and OH GOD I UNDERSTAND FINALLY. I still think I’d prefer visual flair, but it felt so smooth. I think being able to switch across with very minimal load made it easier for me to spot what the fuss was about. 

My camera adaptor also arrived today so figuring out whether it’s time to decommission the pro. Realistically, I’ll probably hold fire until whatever issues are going on with external drives are patched, though. 

7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Do you have to manually tell it to start copying from a game disc? Because I put Miles Morales in and it just sat there doing nothing until I did that.

Some people are suggesting that manually hitting 'copy' from disc-based games is somehow the cause of some people's installed games eventually disappearing. If you insert the disc and wait, it should eventually start installing automatically. It did take a while for me, though.

8 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Love the in depth report! I’ve dabbled with a few things but also spent ages messing around with the settings and just getting a feel it all. 

Funnily enough, I quickly fired up Miles Morales to get my graphical wow moment - I’m in a part where the snow is particularly grey and wasn’t impressed much. 

But, for the first time ever, I switched to 60FPS mode and OH GOD I UNDERSTAND FINALLY. I still think I’d prefer visual flair, but it felt so smooth. I think being able to switch across with very minimal load made it easier for me to spot what the fuss was about. 

My camera adaptor also arrived today so figuring out whether it’s time to decommission the pro. Realistically, I’ll probably hold fire until whatever issues are going on with external drives are patched, though. 

Yeah, I wasn’t initially all that impressed with Miles but once it gets going, it really starts to impress. 

The 60fps is impressive, but I prefer the overall look of it at 30fps with the motion blur and RT. 

39 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Well, I’ve been playing since about 7PM, and after feeling slightly underwhelmed after my initial time with it earlier today, I think this might be the most convincing console launch of all time for me. The hardware feels new and next gen, but more importantly, the games feel next gen, too. Miles Morales looks phenomenal, the loading is basically non-existent, and ray tracing really adds something to how cinematic the world feels. When I turn it off, I definitely notice the difference as I swing through the city. The fact that the console has the power to run it flawlessly in either mode is impressive, too. The PS4 never really impressed me with its power. In fact, it disappointed me from the get go, as it was less powerful than my years old PC.

And Astrobot - I’ve done Cooling Springs and SSD Speedway now. The former was largely spoiled in all the preview stuff, but the latter was absolutely magical and has reminded me just how much Playstation has been a part of my life over the years. I had a huge smile on my face throughout - there’s humour, nostalgia for old hardware - some of which I forgot existed, and seeing games I played as a kid being acted out by the bots is just wonderful. As for the controller, I’m used to the feedback now and find it less distracting. I think the triggers are brilliant. The rest of the HD rumble stuff is fine but nothing revolutionary.

Then I loaded up Infamous First Light, which runs at a solid 60fps in the unlocked mode. And lastly, I loaded up Resogun, the first game I ever played on my PS4. 

So yeah, it feels next gen, it feels powerful and the games are already bloody marvelous.

Definitely agree with most of that, although I find the haptics on the pad to be phenomenal and the console has blown me away right from the start.

I feel like the jump from PS4 to PS5 is probably the biggest jump since 16bit to 32bit.....

Gone from playing in 1080p on a base PS4 to playing in 4K which looks absolutely incredible!

The graphics, even on the launch games are absolutely stunning and running at 60fps (about fucking time). Demon’s Souls in particular has a solidity and level of detail that is just out of this world. Jaw dropping!

Gone from standard stereo audio on normal headphones to 3D audio. Again, Demon’s Souls! It sounds absolutely stunning! Fireballs and arrows whizzing past your head, dragons sweeping down from above you, enemies creeping up behind you. The 3D audio is so, soooooo good!

A controller that manages to innovate to the same extent as the Wii remote. Only here, that innovation applies to all games, right across the board, not just waggle fests. The controller has set a new standard. It IS the new standard. It’s that good.

Backwards compatibility that has made my old PS4 games almost look next gen. Ghost of Tsushima in particular looks sexy as fuck and plays beautifully. Every single PS4 game I’ve tried so far, looks and plays considerably better than it ever did before.

Load times that have gone from 3mins.......to 3secs! Stuff loads that quickly that I can now whack a game on and have a go at a TT on WRC9 or Astro Bot or even attempt a trophy, even if I’ve only got the TV to myself for a few minutes.

The new trophy system with the game cards.......so much better than last gen. Pick one.....BOOM.......right into the game. Top stuff!

Basically this is an absolute beast of a console, with the potential to be the GOAT. If the PS5 is pumping out Demon’s Souls and Astro Bot day one........just imagine what’s to come over the next few years!!! Bring it on!!!

I've *finally* managed to get the thing to output in Dolby Digital surround.

I thought eArc was supposed to be a cool, new feature for AV equipment? The last thing I did (after a reset of everything as I thought it could be a weird glitch) was turn of eArc and "pop" the banner on the LG C9 went from saying PCM to Dolby Audio.

Clown shoes.

Also, does anybody else's right trigger make a "boop" noise in Miles Morales when you go to shoot a web? Just before the adaptive trigger bites and he shoots the web? It isn't controller audio as I switched that off to test.

5 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I thought eArc was supposed to be a cool, new feature for AV equipment? The last thing I did (after a reset of everything as I thought it could be a weird glitch) was turn of eArc and "pop" the banner on the LG C9 went from saying PCM to Dolby Audio.

Clown shoes.

Is that with the rear speakers? I thought LPCM was the favoured option as that outputs 7.1 surround.

7 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Clown shoes.

Dolby digital?

If it was LPCM before you want that

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!