Jump to content

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

May as well just stick some sparklers in it now, light them up and send it off in style! Hope you’re fully insured as that cabinet is going to go up like kindling! Lol.


Are you suggesting that Sony have no thermal management built into their machine?

 

Its a bit silly blaming the crashes etc on cooling as the fan will spin up if it hits an temp it’s not happy with and it will shut down long before it gets to the point of crashing let alone self combusting - I know Sony are pretty awful at making consumer electronics these days but they don’t make dangerous stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites


@teddymeow From 4 minutes onwards you can see my setup.

Vertical, behind the TV with the rear vents not bouncing off any wall but going into the room. It’s easy access to the disc drive. 
 

Apart from the annoying disc drive spinning every 45 minutes touch wood I’ve not had any issues. Like @FiveFootNinja & @Fully Aspel I’ve also avoided the two most reported issues in external storage and rest mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel for anyone with any hardware issues, it must be frustrating after the long wait. I've never had any console problems, to be honest, apart from with the ridiculous Joycons which I will never use again.

 

My PS5 barely makes a sound, though. No whine, no fan, no crashes. I'm using external hard drive, rest mode, whatever I want to do. No issues. I assume the majority are in that boat but as I say, anyone experiencing issues has my sympathy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gospvg said:


@teddymeow From 4 minutes onwards you can see my setup.

Vertical, behind the TV with the rear vents not bouncing off any wall but going into the room. It’s easy access to the disc drive. 
 

Apart from the annoying disc drive spinning every 45 minutes touch wood I’ve not had any issues. Like @FiveFootNinja & @Fully Aspel I’ve also avoided the two most reported issues in external storage and rest mode.


“You don’t know how fricking gassed I am.” :lol:

 

 

Also, sort those wires out. :quote:

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:


Yep, WRC8 was really good........WRC9 is absolutely fucking awesome, especially on PS5! Not just the best Rally game I’ve ever played but one of the best driving games I’ve ever played.....period! It’s like a proper next gen Colin McRae Rally. Some of the best tracks/stages in any driving game ever made. Proper quality! The online TT stuff is proper nerve shredding too, the risk/reward gameplay when you’re pushing for a faster time is spot on! Bagged 2nd place in the world on one track the other night and it felt absolutely amazing.
 

Haptics and Adaptive Triggers work brilliantly and genuinely add to the game. Can’t praise it enough. At around £20 it’s an unbelievable bargain too! They are releasing loads of free updates with brand new modes and courses added on top of the landslide of content it already has. One of the best launch games, up there with Demon’s Souls for me!

 

This is really tempting me to hit the buy button, I don't play many driving games and I don't tend to enjoy the more serious ones. Is this more like Driveclub then say Project Cars or Forza? Or can it at least be played in an arcade style mode, I just like driving games I can pick up and play without messing around with tuning and stuff...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

Either way, it’s up to you. My PS5 is behind the TV on one side, so I can easily access the drive, ports and buttons. Plus it’s the only place the Mrs will allow me to have it! Lol. If it’s bothering you that much, try sorting it behind the TV and see if it helps? What is there to lose?

Like I explained, I am not a moron, and have looked at places I could put the thing, and what you're suggesting won't work. I don't see why I should sell a £120 TV cabinet and throw up a party wall in the corner of my room to hide my console behind because you can hear the whine of the console's GPU load change as you move the camera around in Dark Souls.

 

While I admire your dedication to deflecting the idea that the console itself may be at fault rather than the user, despite it being widely reported, I'm going to continue attempting to get this obviously defective machine repaired or replaced. For £450 I should accept little else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:


“You don’t know how fricking gassed I am.” :lol:

 

Teenage daughters have a language I cannot understand :lol:

 

19 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

 

Also, sort those wires out. :quote:

 

On the to-do list need to pick up some cable sleeves when I am next in the office.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Spidey Homecoming is ridiculously loud, Ghost in the Shell (the ScarJo one) not at all. Maybe the way the disc is pressed / label side is printed causing imbalance?


Maybe the PS5 fell asleep during Ghost in the Shell?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst troubleshooting echo issues on voice party chat yesterday evening (Playing Monster Hunter World with friends) I went back to my PS4 to test party chat and the controller felt odd and small. Can't believe how my hands already perfer the new controller so quickly!

 

Issues on party chat were resolved by going into settings and adjusting the microphone down to zero. I'm assumming the inbuilt mic was fighting with my headset mic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Like I explained, I am not a moron, and have looked at places I could put the thing, and what you're suggesting won't work. I don't see why I should sell a £120 TV cabinet and throw up a party wall in the corner of my room to hide my console behind because you can hear the whine of the console's GPU load change as you move the camera around in Dark Souls.

 

While I admire your dedication to deflecting the idea that the console itself may be at fault rather than the user, despite it being widely reported, I'm going to continue attempting to get this obviously defective machine repaired or replaced. For £450 I should accept little else.

 

Aspel coming across very SDF in this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

While I admire your dedication to deflecting the idea that the console itself may be at fault rather than the user, despite it being widely reported, I'm going to continue attempting to get this obviously defective machine repaired or replaced. For £450 I should accept little else.

 

Any further updates from playstation support or the retailer? Going to be difficult to get a replacement unit I think until the new year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, gospvg said:

 

Any further updates from playstation support or the retailer? Going to be difficult to get a replacement unit I think until the new year.

Amazon say they'll give me a full refund as they have no replacements and none scheduled, or to talk to Sony. I'm not expecting word back from Sony very quickly, but I will update when I hear. Worst case I'm going to sell it at cost to someone local.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Amazon say they'll give me a full refund as they have no replacements and none scheduled, or to talk to Sony. I'm not expecting word back from Sony very quickly, but I will update when I hear. Worst case I'm going to sell it at cost to someone local.

 

Maybe not a bad idea to cash in now becasue of the high demand and pick up another later next year when hopefully most of the issues are resolved although probably not until another hardware revision which would not be any time soon.

 

Have you tried rubber washers on the fan?

Looking back through your posts I cannot see any pics of your current set-up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gospvg said:

 

Maybe not a bad idea to cash in now becasue of the high demand and pick up another later next year when hopefully most of the issues are resolved although probably not until another hardware revision which would not be any time soon.

 

Have you tried rubber washers on the fan?

Looking back through your posts I cannot see any pics of your current set-up.

I'm not gonna try and make bank off it, it'll be my good deed for Christmas. As long as I break even. I'm too paranoid about auctioning it and I don't want to take the piss if it'll make some spoiled little gremlin's Christmas.

 

My setup. It's got inches around the sides and a fully exposed front and back.IMG_20201119_134505.thumb.jpg.08894c110651a5ecc16b01e96c1b55b3.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

It's got inches around the sides and a fully exposed front and back.

 

:eyebrows:

 

I had my first weird issue with my PS5 yesterday. It appeared to be related to an event not triggering while playing Mile Morales. I went to hit an "triangle action button" thing and nothing happened. Spider-Man just stood there and I had lost all control of him. Even more so, the controller now wouldn't work so I couldn't exit to dash. Even MORE so, I couldn't turn off the machine via the power button. Nothing would do anything, the game was running but I couldn't interact with anything. 

 

I had to turn the machine off at the wall! Which I don't really enjoy doing. And this resulted in safe mode boot and database rebuild which is likely par for the course. 

 

I've since read online to hard turn off your console you have to hold the power button a LONG time. Like 20 seconds. 

 

My PS5 has been working like a charm before and after this (touchwood), and is also completely silent (touchwood), this kind of seems like a bug with the game but it's kinda shit either way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Amazon say they'll give me a full refund as they have no replacements and none scheduled, or to talk to Sony. I'm not expecting word back from Sony very quickly, but I will update when I hear. Worst case I'm going to sell it at cost to someone local.

It was years ago, but Sony were super at replacing my launch day console back with the PS4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

:eyebrows:

 

I had my first weird issue with my PS5 yesterday. It appeared to be related to an event not triggering while playing Mile Morales. I went to hit an "triangle action button" thing and nothing happened. Spider-Man just stood there and I had lot all control of him. Even more so, the controller now wouldn't work so I couldn't exit to dash. Even MORE so, I couldn't turn off the machine via the power button. Nothing would do anything, the game was running but I couldn't interact with anything. 

 

I had to turn the machine off at the wall! Which I don't really enjoy doing. And this resulted in safe mode boot and database rebuild which is likely par for the course. 

 

I've since read online to hard turn off your console you have to hold the power button a LONG time. Like 20 seconds. 

 

My PS5 has been working like a charm before and after this (touchwood), and is also completely silent (touchwood), this kind of seems like a bug with the game but it's kinda shit either way. 

 

Definitely a bug. In fidelity mode I lost control of Miles twice within the space of the first half hour of the game. When this happened, the controller wouldn't do anything and Miles just kept on running up the street forever. Even plugging a second controller in only let me go back to the home screen, but then no directions or buttons would work. I had to unplug the PS5 each time. Since I switched to performance mode there have been no such bugs at all. I've had no issues with any other games, so it looks like Miles Morales came in megahot and wasn't ready for prime time... at least in fidelity mode. Strange that the reviewers didn't seem to mention this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

 

Definitely a bug. In fidelity mode I lost control of Miles twice within the space of the first half hour of the game. When this happened, the controller wouldn't do anything and Miles just kept on running up the street forever. Even plugging a second controller in only let me go back to the home screen, but then no directions or buttons would work. I had to unplug the PS5 each time. Since I switched to performance mode there have been no such bugs at all. I've had no issues with any other games, so it looks like Miles Morales came in megahot and wasn't ready for prime time... at least in fidelity mode. Strange that the reviewers didn't seem to mention this.

 

Yeah, this very well might be the case! I also had other weird scripting related things not working. Like a mission where you have to photograph potential suspects, and nothing would happen until I reloaded a check point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, gospvg said:

What is the distance to the wall? Looks to be quite a bit? What is the black box?

image.png

 

Have you tried a vertical setup to see if you notice any difference?

The black box is a subwoofer against the back wall; there's a good few feet from the back of the cabinet to the wall, just a big air space.

 

Vertical doesn't really help any, and there's the very real risk that it'd fall over and crush my toddler or elderly mother in law.

 

I appreciate all the assistance but really, it is what it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Strange that the reviewers didn't seem to mention this.

 

Also this will be because reviewers will only care about snagging an angle on some subjective idea that means absolutely nothing to most readers/players, or hook onto an open world trope to moan and complain about rather than provide any useful information at all. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

The black box is a subwoofer against the back wall; there's a good few feet from the back of the cabinet to the wall, just a big air space.

 

Vertical doesn't really help any, and there's the very real risk that it'd fall over and crush my toddler or elderly mother in law.

 

I appreciate all the assistance but really, it is what it is.

 

You could try @unleashedmaniac suggestion on the rubber o-rings but I agree with you just too much hassle for something that you have paid £450 and is not up to task. Best to either move it on or refund from Amazon & wait for the next revision.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gospvg said:

 

You could try @unleashedmaniac suggestion on the rubber o-rings but I agree with you just too much hassle for something that you have paid £450 and is not up to task. Best to either move it on or refund from Amazon & wait for the next revision.

If Sony do a swap and get me one without loud coil whine I'll probably have a go at dampening the fan noise on the replacement. If not then yeah, I'll just wait it out. Demon's Souls is great and the overall experience is otherwise fantastic, but I'm happy enough to wait for a more dependably quiet iteration.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Minion said:

 

This is really tempting me to hit the buy button, I don't play many driving games and I don't tend to enjoy the more serious ones. Is this more like Driveclub then say Project Cars or Forza? Or can it at least be played in an arcade style mode, I just like driving games I can pick up and play without messing around with tuning and stuff...


Put it this way.......I’m a bit of a Sega fanboy at heart. I love classic arcade games, as I grew up on them - Outrun, Sega Rally, Ridge Racer etc. I absolutely loved the original Colin McRae games on PSone. This is like a true next gen version of them. 
 

You don’t need to mess around with any tuning and stuff if you don’t want to. There are full Junior WRC and full WRC career modes, with a slider option that sets the difficulty. You can tailor the game to how you want to play from the get go - various damage levels, permadeath on or off, driving aids on or off etc. You can just jump in if you want and do as little or as much as you want in terms of tinkering with settings. 
 

There are quick play modes (they really are quick play on PS5 too, thanks to the fast loading), where you can choose a location and stage, with any weather/time of day conditions or tackle a single Rally if you like. There are daily TT to have a go at etc. All of your times from the different modes get added online as you play regardless.
 

There are something like 13 different locations in the game all with 5 stages, all of them with dynamic weather and time of day! The point to point stages range from around a couple of minutes long up to white knuckle 20km stages! There are also lap based events. The tracks are absolutely brilliant, some of the best I’ve played in any driving game. You really can’t go wrong. With chase cam on it’s great. Stick the dash cam or bumper cam on though and it’s fucking epic! The Dual Sense works really well, both haptics and triggers plus certain sounds come through the speaker in the pad too which is nice. Oh and the 3D audio sounds really nice, especially in car. The only negative is that when using the in car view there’s a graphical glitch, that puts a sort of faint checkerboard effect over the windscreen at times. Seems like it’s something to do with the lighting. 
 

Anyway, WRC8 was one of my fav games last gen.  WRC9 has already had the most play time of the PS5 launch games I’ve bought. It’s a quality game and 100% one of the best Rally/driving games I’ve ever played.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.