Jump to content

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Wiper said:

 

They specifically mention that the fan doesn't reach anywhere near top speed - it's an incredibly powerful thing, heavily throttled, and by the sounds of it the PS5 will never let it run at full.

 

They actually mention that - for them at least - the machine is extremely quiet; far quieter than even a quiet graphics card - and again, I would trust them on that point. They mention they're lucky enough to have no coil whine, which will help, but it suggests the journalists who've praised the silence of the machine may not have been talking out of their arses, despite other people's experience.

 

And it's well and good saying Sony "know how to put together a console", but given the large number of issues users are having at the moment (and, particularly, the fact several people on here have been having crash-tastic experiences irrespective of software, suggesting hardware issues - which could easily be the kinds of crash triggered by memory failure), it's not hard to imagine there may be some design flaws due a correction. After the Xbox it looked like Microsoft knew how to put together a console; didn't stop the 360 from being a reliability nightmare due to overheating (and, in that case, cheap thermal grease).

I think the ps5 software is a mess. Bar noisy moving parts it’s far more likely most if these crashes are down to software.

Obviously there will be failures of hardware whatever happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Strongest console launch in ages for me. Probably since the N64.  There's a solid line-up of native games, my machine is quiet (now it's chewed up that sticker, chortle) except when the drive spins up briefly now and again, and there's a bunch of excellent PS4 games thrown in with PSN.  The other thing is, despite being used to high end PC gaming, the visuals this is pumping out knock my socks off. Demon's Souls' Gates of Boletaria makes my jaw drop every time I see it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wonder about how many of these issues are hardware and how many are software. If I end up with a unit with coil whine or some other annoying thing, I may well play it and then sell it to CEX when I’m done (and pick up another in 6 months or so). I imagine the price is going to remain high as there’s no stock coming anytime soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Is the disc spin-up issue something that's fixable with a firmware update?

 

I hope so, in the mean time just remove the game disk if you playing anything digital.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

What’s the issue that the disc spinning thing causes?

Same as the PS4 I expect - noisy as a fuck. You guys running disc versions may want to put something underneath the PS5 to absorb the vibrations. That's what I did with my PS4.

 

I haven't used the drive on mine yet, I've gone digital with all the games so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I do wonder about how many of these issues are hardware and how many are software. If I end up with a unit with coil whine or some other annoying thing, I may well play it and then sell it to CEX when I’m done (and pick up another in 6 months or so). I imagine the price is going to remain high as there’s no stock coming anytime soon. 

Indeed I guess that is the risk you take... These days with the current situation too I expect stock will get swallowed up as fast as they can make them. Even the older consoles seem to be still high in price new and on the pre-owned market.  Unless you really won't miss it just use some earphones if it instead for now if it gets noisy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a email from PSPrices to advise that Yoku's Island Express is currently free (UK region). Just had a look on the store via the PS5 and it shows up for £15.99 plus a trial version.

Can anyone check to see if they are seeing the same. Aware its a PS4 game, but not sure why its showing this.

 

PSPrices:

kF5MahE.png

 

PS Store:

JolLqhI.png

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Having not completed the Original I quite fancy just going straight into MM. Any reasons I shouldn't?

Yes. The first game may be mostly about Peter Parker, but it's also an origin story for Miles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gospvg said:

I have this issue when playing Ghost of Tsushima

https://www.vg247.com/2020/11/23/ps5-disc-spinning-randomly/

 

The PlayStation 5 appears to have a strange bug that causes the disc in the drive to spin periodically.

Now that more and more players have their hands on PS5 launch units, we’re starting to see reports of some strange quirks that initial reviews did not pick up on.

One particular issue that’s been coming up for people who opted for the PS5’s disc-based standard edition, is that the disc in the drive appears to spin for now particular reason.

 

Multiple reports on Reddit and Resetera forums indicate that the PS5 spins whatever disc you have in the drive around once every 45 minutes to an hour.

 

What a world we live in if people consider that an "issue". Genuine concerns ahoy!

 

Is this the only disc-based game that it happens on? If not, could it be the machine just checking the disc is still in the machine (i.e. a licence check) to stop people installing it and then giving/selling the disc to somebody else?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mike S said:

If you can find me a decent HDMI 2.1 splitter that would be very handy as my TV has run out of ports before even acquiring a PS5..

Not found one yet - going to need a USB hub as well, thinking of going rear port 1 HDD, rear port 2 hub with - Camera, headphone dongle, PSVR link (1 spare). Then the front can be for my HOTAS or Arcade sticks... I really thought there would be enough USBs on the PS5 but it appears losing the dedicated camera port is like one less than the Pro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

 

What a world we live in if people consider that an "issue". Genuine concerns ahoy!

 

Is this the only disc-based game that it happens on? If not, could it be the machine just checking the disc is still in the machine (i.e. a licence check) to stop people installing it and then giving/selling the disc to somebody else?

 

It is an issue but is not a genuine concern.

The PS5 checks every 45 minutes to an hour if you leave a game disc in the drive, an easy fix is to just remove the disc when not playing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gospvg said:

 

It is an issue but is not a genuine concern.

The PS5 checks every 45 minutes to an hour if you leave a game disc in the drive, an easy fix is to just remove the disc when not playing.

 

Yes, but my question is is it doing that as a licence check - so it isn't an issue at all (and you would expect happens with all disk-based games) - or it is just a quirk for this game only?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Not found one yet - going to need a USB hub as well, thinking of going rear port 1 HDD, rear port 2 hub with - Camera, headphone dongle, PSVR link (1 spare). Then the front can be for my HOTAS or Arcade sticks... I really thought there would be enough USBs on the PS5 but it appears losing the dedicated camera port is like one less than the Pro.

 

Yeah, I've not seen one anywhere but it would be very useful as all four HDMI 2.1 ports are being used.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Yes, but my question is is it doing that as a licence check - so it isn't an issue at all (and you would expect happens with all disk-based games) - or it is just a quirk for this game only?

 

Yes I would expect it once when starting but not every 45 minutes when you are playing the game or even playing something else. Hopefully Sony will have a fix soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mike S said:

 

Yeah, I've not seen one anywhere but it would be very useful as all four HDMI 2.1 ports are being used.

Nothing out there, checked ebay amazon and google. Plenty of 2.0 splitters but no 2.1. Guess we are cursed to cable swap for a while!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Bonus: my PS5 has developed coil whine too; only when you’re in a game though, it must depend on the PSU power draw.

 

I’m going to try and tough it out until there’s a restock next year and get Amazon to switch it over.

Update on this, after 1h 45m queuing the nice man Daniel at Sony had some genuine concerns about the "electrical buzzing sound" that happens when playing games, and has forwarded my details to a supervisor. He's also asked me to unplug it and not use it, and repeatedly checked if there had been any damage to persons or property, so, uh... :unsure:

 

At this rate I'll flog it on Facebook Marketplace, pocket some cash, and buy again in the new year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Quexex said:

Nothing out there, checked ebay amazon and google. Plenty of 2.0 splitters but no 2.1. Guess we are cursed to cable swap for a while!

 

Yeah, it's a bit of a drag but I guess reflective of the relative  lack of devices that actually need 2.1.

 

Thinking about it, I should check exactly what's plugged directly into the TV as there may be something I can route through the receiver instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.