IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

Just turned on the Ps5, loaded Demon’s souls and for some reason I went in the menu and saw the display settings picture looks shit. I checked and HDr wasn’t available according to demon’s souls.

‘Checked the TV and it wasn’t in HDR mode but the PS5 back end said HDR was available and supported.

Rebooted and had to do the HDR calibration thing again.

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

Yeah good point. Just wondered if this was still a thing, clearly it is. I think the Sony 4K Blu-Ray players play just about any CD sized disc you care to throw into it, but their recent consoles don't. I assumed it was the same drive hardware. 

I'll have to hang onto my PS3 then for SACDs

It's a licencing thing. Saving money. Which is weird I suppose as Sony co-developled the CD standard with Philips. 

Xbox one and presumably series consoles do play cds but they're bloody terrible at it, it's all done through a very barebones app which last time I tried it couldn't handle seamless playback. 

Feel pretty lucky, my disc edition is always quiet, and hasn't crashed once. Mind i've only played Astro and PS4 disc games on it so there's still 500gb free on the hard drive. The drive whirs up to check the disc is present when starting a game but once in it stops and is very quiet again.

Looks aside this is by far the best built Sony console. No squeaking plastics, peeling sticks or odd noises. Yay.

I was going to go on a mad disc and download binge but I rarely play more than 2 games at once so I thought why put the system under all that stress in a day or two just for icons to sit untouched on a dashboard till who knows when ? I got my quick fix games on there (Streets 4, Sonic, Rez and Hotline Miami) and a couple of big story games, (LoU2, Days Gone, Shen III, Yak 6) plenty to keep me busy for a while  :D 

47 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Bugsnax has (out of literally nowhere) become an instant hit with my 4 year old and we have now racked up about 5-6 hours of play time on it together with him telling me what to catch, who to feed it too and then bursting into hysterics every time with the results. He has even started getting the 3D/twin-stick movement himself and is now trundling between zones with relative ease, even if the dynamics of the bug catching is still a little beyond his grasp at the moment. To be honest it might well be a terrible game but it has been such a joyful experience I haven't really noticed. 

I've been playing this with my kids too, and I have to say I think it's genuinely brilliant. 

Some of the Bugsnax are really clever, as are the convoluted methods you have to employ to catch them. And the dialog is really funny. Especially Wiggle, and her singing. I'm not allowed to play it without the kids, but I definitely would if I could.

How are people finding the Dualsense battery life? I have two controllers and I've already swapped between them multiple times since Thursday. I have been using the machine quite a bit admittedly but that still feels like a lot in 5 days? It doesn't seem that much better than the battery in the Dualshock 4 was. 

2 minutes ago, Majora said:

How are people finding the Dualsense battery life? I have two controllers and I've already swapped between them multiple times since Thursday. I have been using the machine quite a bit admittedly but that still feels like a lot in 5 days? It doesn't seem that much better than the battery in the Dualshock 4 was. 

I got about 5-6 hours on them when playing Spiderman on a full charge. 

49 minutes ago, unleashedmaniac said:

@Spacehost No success with some tinkering around the fan casing etc.

Spoke to another chap at support who I had a bit more luck with, and like you am now waiting for a call back from a supervisor/manager to potentially organise a repair!

As luck would have it I’m now okay with the fan noise, but now I’ve noticed the coil whine in performance mode in Demon’s Souls, I’m utterly ruined. You can sort of tune it out a bit, but it’s like having a miniature substation in your TV cabinet. Quietest PlayStation my ass, even my launch PS3 and PS4 were quieter than this new, God knows what it’ll sound like in five years.

58 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

As luck would have it I’m now okay with the fan noise, but now I’ve noticed the coil whine in performance mode in Demon’s Souls, I’m utterly ruined. You can sort of tune it out a bit, but it’s like having a miniature substation in your TV cabinet. Quietest PlayStation my ass, even my launch PS3 and PS4 were quieter than this new, God knows what it’ll sound like in five years.

If you’ve put your PS5 in a TV cabinet that’s more than likely going to make the sound seem louder/worse. The sound will be reverberating around in the enclosed space and be more directional, potentially making the offending frequencies seem louder to you. You would be better putting the console behind your TV if possible, so that the TV itself forms a barrier between you and the console/sound and the sound has space to dissipate away from you.

Seen loads of people complaining of issues and then posting pics of their machines stacked on top of other AV gear, or pushed up against a wall or inside cabinets with little ventilation. Sony themselves have stated that you should not put the PS5 in an enclosed or narrow space and that the console should have at least 4 inches of clear room on all sides for proper ventilation. 

2 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

If you’ve put your PS5 in a TV cabinet that’s more than likely going to make the sound seem louder/worse. The sound will be reverberating around in the enclosed space and be more directional, potentially making the offending frequencies seem louder to you. You would be better putting the console behind your TV if possible, so that the TV itself forms a barrier between you and the console/sound and the sound has space to dissipate away from you.

Seen loads of people complaining of issues and then posting pics of their machines stacked on top of other AV gear, or pushed up against a wall or inside cabinets with little ventilation. Sony themselves have stated that you should not put the PS5 in an enclosed or narrow space and that the console should have at least 4 inches of clear room on all sides for proper ventilation. 

Wouldn’t these people have placed their consoles in a similar positions previous gen? More so, Sony wouldn’t have designed these to be placed on a pure marble plinth in a zero degree enclosure.

14 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

It’s sitting in the exact same spot as my PS4 was, but it makes the same noise if it’s on carpet, upright, held in mid air, whatever.

Anyone played WRC 9? (Tried searching for a topic, but no luck).

Really like the haptic feedback and 60fps. And it’s 50% off in the PS Store atm. Just played a couple of hours, but enjoying the arcade side of it so far, not going too deep into the more serious side of adjusting tire pressure and what not.

5 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:

Wouldn’t these people have placed their consoles in a similar positions previous gen? More so, Sony wouldn’t have designed these to be placed on a pure marble plinth in a zero degree enclosure.

Possibly......however they were they were totally different consoles and the PS5 is larger, more powerful and thus needs more cooling.

It’s common sense really. If Sony’s official advice is - “don’t put the PS5 in a narrow or enclosed space” then don’t put the PS5 in a narrow or enclosed space. If Sony’s official advice is - “leave at least 4 inches on all sides of the PS5 to allow proper ventilation” then leave 4 inches of space on all sides of the console to allow proper ventilation! 

2 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

It’s sitting in the exact same spot as my PS4 was, but it makes the same noise if it’s on carpet, upright, held in mid air, whatever.

Yeah, it will obviously make the same noise, as that’s the noise it naturally makes. However, putting it in a cabinet will make it sound louder. The sound waves will be reverberating around the cabinet it’s inside, potentially making certain frequencies worse, and the sound will be mostly diffusing forwards, out of the cabinet towards you. Once you start focusing on it, it will then start to sound even worse!

If you want to lower the perceived volume of a sound then, obviously you need to put a barrier between you and the sound source and leave all all other directions clear for the sound to travel away. If you want to make a sound seem louder, then you enclose it, with the enclosure being open towards the listener. Think about putting a shell to your ear at the seaside.......how you suddenly hear white noise.  You’re basically creating a speaker cab for your noisy PS5. Lol.

And if you’ve got Tinnitus (so have I, from years of gigging) that will probably also be having an impact. You may even have a bit of Hyperacusis going on, where you are perceiving certain frequencies as being louder than they actually are. I’ve got that too. Awesome! Hahaha. 

My PS5 is very quiet, however if I really listen, in a quiet room, it puts out a high pitched tone. I’ve stuck the PS5 behind the TV to baffle the sound and it’s now pretty much inaudible unless its pin drop levels of quiet and I’m focusing on it.......and then it seems louder! Lol.

It’s worth a shot trying to put it somewhere else, where the sound dissipates away from you more if possible, especially if it’s bothering you and spoiling your enjoyment of the machine.

3 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

And if you’ve got Tinnitus (so have I, from years of gigging) that will probably also be having an impact. You may even have a bit of Hyperacusis going on, where you are perceiving certain frequencies as being louder than they actually are. I’ve got that too. Awesome! Hahaha. 

Disappointed on second read of this when I realised you didn’t say “giggling”