PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

53 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

That's interesting and i guess hopeful in that they'll either perhaps fix it for newer versions or that someone will figure out a fix.

Mine is pretty quiet. I don't think I have coil whine (although I don't really know what it is) but I do have an audible whirr.  And it steps up from essentially silent when there's no game active in the Home menus, to somewhat audible when playing, for example, Miles Morales.

It's only really something I can hear when I'm playing late at night with general ambient sound reduced and quiet TV volume, but it's there. I think we have to understand that these tech journalists likely have rooms full of gear making noises that a new console hides in. It's not something I'd complain about, I don't think. It's presumably got to pump air through the system, and that presumably involves mechanical action.

I wouldn't mind it just being, y'know, fan noise, but this is the constant "chirping" sound.

Amazon want nothing to do with it, either a refund or talk to Sony. So I'll call Sony tomorrow and see what the chat is.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Oh, I didn't realise there was a time limit, in that case why not just upload to YouTube?

I did....and absolutely nothing happened.

EDIT. Here it is. When I uploaded it the downloads and upload icon disappeared from the taskbar so I figured it hides it when there’s nothing to download or upload thus no point in showing it. Probably yet another bug.

5 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I wouldn't mind it just being, y'know, fan noise, but this is the constant "chirping" sound.

Amazon want nothing to do with it, either a refund or talk to Sony. So I'll call Sony tomorrow and see what the chat is.

I had 3 ps3’s replaced via Sony for being noisy when everyone said they weren’t.... Sony were very good but on the second or third they did mention I could get a refurb even tho the PS3 was brand new, obv going through Sony rather than the retailer throws away all your consumer rights.

Crashed on me twice while playing MM. During cutscenes both times. It just completely freezes and doesn't respond to any button presses. It eventually shuts itself down completely, then comes back on after pressing the power button on the console itself. Does its rebuild stuff and also the error reporting screen that it sends to Sony. No external HDD attached. 

8 hours ago, Quexex said:

Coming to steal that charging dock ;)

I’ve had the official dock for the PS4 since that launched so when Amazon released the pre-orders for the accessories I went straight for the charging dock. There is a tiny satisfaction when placing the controller on the dock and hearing that “click”.

8 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Via my completely non scientific system of removing the fan from its housing while still attached and turning my PS5 on, I can safely put the blame on the noisy fan on the way it's fitted to the PS5, rather than the fan itself, which is entirely silent. There's some weird resonance that kicks off once you put the fan back in, which gets worse when you screw it down.

I think some rubber washers or something might help but since the fan is just sort of chilling in there, I dunno if it'd make a big difference.

I opened mine up yesterday and done the same. There was a video on YouTube of someone who had put some pads or putty of some sort to raise the casing around the fan when it was screwed in. 

Video before:

Video after:

May be worth a shot for anyone not wanting to send it back into Sony.

9 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Via my completely non scientific system of removing the fan from its housing while still attached and turning my PS5 on, I can safely put the blame on the noisy fan on the way it's fitted to the PS5, rather than the fan itself, which is entirely silent. There's some weird resonance that kicks off once you put the fan back in, which gets worse when you screw it down.

I think some rubber washers or something might help but since the fan is just sort of chilling in there, I dunno if it'd make a big difference.

Put some blutac on one of the blades to balance it out.

Unexpectedly, the PS5 feature I've been using the most over the weekend is the Picture-in-Picture screen sharing. It's been kind of a revelation. Me and a mate playing through Demon's Souls, both of us watching each other's progress in a corner screen. Makes helping each other a cinch.

9 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Screenshots available for Twitter sharing aswell as trophy videos but not anything else. I edited down the 41 second clip to 27 seconds and it still won’t allow Twitter sharing.

Also F me the PS5 is awful at editing video. It might aswell be running on a 286

Oh no <_< it was amazing on the ps4.

Did you use share factory?

10 hours ago, Baring said:

Noticed how most of the crashes are those with external hard drives. Why not just use the consoles 800gb? surely that’s enough to keep you going. I’ve installed 23 games on mine.
With fibre also you can download most games by the time you make/eat your dinner. 

Which is super if you're one of the lucky bastards with fibre.

If you're bringing a ps4 library across and if downloading a game is a "It'll be there by the time you make dinner tomorrow, maybe" job then 800gb goes very, very quickly.

12 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Which is super if you're one of the lucky bastards with fibre.

If you're bringing a ps4 library across and if downloading a game is a "It'll be there by the time you make dinner tomorrow, maybe" job then 800gb goes very, very quickly.

Yeah I'm lucky to be on a fast connection but I have always played games differently with only 1 single player & 1 multi-player game installed so for me the 667GB storage is more than enough. I have a extra few titles installed the kids like to play but even with those I currently have 445GB free.

I don't want any issues with the PS5 so not using external storage or rest mode until Sony have fixed.

I also still have my PS4 Pro hooked up with a stack of games on the 1TB drive installed.

Got my first UHD Movie disc to test :) No Dolby Vision so I won't miss that. Curious to see how the bit rate compares tot he streaming services, I know Bluray discs always looked better than the 1080p equivalent on Netflix so I have high expectations. 

In other news - NXGamer has done a full breakdown of the Updates to Blood and Truth for PS5. Seem to be pretty substantial.

11 hours ago, Harrisown said:

I did....and absolutely nothing happened.

EDIT. Here it is. When I uploaded it the downloads and upload icon disappeared from the taskbar so I figured it hides it when there’s nothing to download or upload thus no point in showing it. Probably yet another bug.

I don't think that's a bug, I believe the upload/download option is meant to disappear if there's no activity of that kind. :)

As for nothing happening, you to have to wait for YouTube to process the upload before making it available. In my experience with uploading youtube vids on PS4, they're never available the moment an upload finishes. 

3 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Thought it was system wide there? Did I get that wrong?

VRR wouldn't do anything for a locked 30hz game/mode so it technically isn't all software. That is likely what that wording means.

A game can't support VRR unless it is running in the variable refresh range. 

Just now, Monkeyspill said:

I’m assuming PS5s have sold out everywhere now - so if I wanted one without paying silly prices, am I likely going to have to wait until next year?

Possibly, many of us are holding out hope more stock will be available before Xmas. My nephew now wants one.

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!