PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

1 minute ago, Baring said:

My boy and I are doing this now. Streaming the PS5 on the PS4 in spare room upstairs while main tv being used. It’s brill. 

One thing about this is the load times are a touch longer and my 5 year old is saying it’s taking forever Dad, loading his farm game :lol: 

Can someone explain HDR and Resolution to me?

my TV is a 2015 4K HDR Sony Bravia. 

it does in certain ports, run in 4K hdr, but mentions that it’s using one sort of hdr and not another due to bandwidth or something?

man, I just don’t understand all this stuff. 

in other ports it’ll run 4K but not hdr and if you force hdr on the ps5, it’ll run at 1080p?

im confused. 

Just now, Droo said:

it does in certain ports, run in 4K hdr, but mentions that it’s using one sort of hdr and not another due to bandwidth or something?

in other ports it’ll run 4K but not hdr and if you force hdr on the ps5, it’ll run at 1080p?

im confused. 

It’s not uncommon for TVs to have different HDMI version support on each port annoyingly. I’ve seen some TVs where only 2 of the 4 ports supported 4K.

24 minutes ago, Baring said:

My boy and I are doing this now. Streaming the PS5 on the PS4 in spare room upstairs while main tv being used. It’s brill. 

How is the quality?

Has anyone eles noticed the share play and share screen quality is far inferior to what was at times an extremely good clean 1080p stream on PS4?

45 minutes ago, Majora said:

Seems to be some kind of bug with HDR and rest mode. A couple of times I've resumed games in suspend mode (once Astrobot, once Demon's Souls) and noticed the colours looking very washed out. Checked TV is in HDR game mode, checked HDR is turned on in system settings. Turn HDR off in system settings, turn it back on and boom, colours back to normal.

Don't use rest mode. There's a bug that is wiping saves and game data at random, there's not been a fix.

Link

19 minutes ago, Droo said:

im confused. 

Might or might not be your specific tv but...

0E7E81CF-07AA-4A61-B55A-B1F44F9F83EB.thumb.jpeg.bc06c4007dbce521b32b07e718ffc64d.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

How is the quality?

Has anyone eles noticed the share play and share screen quality is far inferior to what was at times an extremely good clean 1080p stream on PS4?

It’s a good job we’re not fussy but let’s say it’s a touch blurry. Tested connection speed on ps5 it’s 75meg and PS4 upstairs is 36. 

34 minutes ago, Droo said:

im confused. 

Your console is running in 4k HDR but it's not using full RGB colour range. Mine is the same. 

Apparently the PS4 Pro was the same. The only solution is a new TV. Don't sweat it. 

7 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Your console is running in 4k HDR but it's not using full RGB colour range. Mine is the same. 

Apparently the PS4 Pro was the same. The only solution is a new TV. Don't sweat it. 

Is there much of a difference?

Searched around but no-one really knows what this other used space actually is but a few mentions about this space is used for PS4 backwards compatible titles. The less PS4 games you have installed the smaller the size.

56 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Have you confirmed that that works?

Nah not tried yet, but it will be the only way I can play. Iirc you only need the USB for updates. I seem to recall not having it connected for ages.

Will test at some point and let you guys know.

15 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Searched around but no-one really knows what this other used space actually is but a few mentions about this space is used for PS4 backwards compatible titles. The less PS4 games you have installed the smaller the size.

Do you think perhaps each game has some kind of secret profile of sorts....how bizarre.

We need to know though because losing 70 gig is a lot for this super fast expensive and finite SSD.

19 minutes ago, Droo said:

Is there much of a difference?

on my PS4 pro it said due to the limitations of blah blah I can’t do 4k HDR RGB it’ll be YU244 or whatever that is ....

On PS5 I’m getting 4K HDR 60hz RGB which I think is the best possible connection. I would be lying to you if I said I could tell the difference other than it looks great.

5 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Nah not tried yet, but it will be the only way I can play. Iirc you only need the USB for updates. I seem to recall not having it connected for ages.

Will test at some point and let you guys know.

A quick Google says I'm wrong on not needing it. However it's just for a digital handshake to tell the PSVR it's connected to a PS4/Pro/PS5 no a dvd player or other HDMI device.

Theoretically it should be able to do this over USB 2.0. 

It will be a fucker if it needs the rear ports though...I see USB hub in coming... Not looking forward to the USB hub + HDMI splitter you'll need to run PSVR on a PS5 without losing any HDMI 2.1 functionality.

Is there a list of ps5 games without hdr? 

Both Bugsnax and Sackboy seem a bit dull with it enabled, just wondering if there is a defined list to let me know for certain.

Certainly no options to adjust it in game anyway. Sony shouldn’t allow games to be published on the ps5 without it if it looks worse if it’s on by default at the system level.

I’m almost certain bugsnax has no hdr.

3 minutes ago, Zero9X said:

Is there a list of ps5 games without hdr? 

Both Bugsnax and Sackboy seem a bit dull with it enabled, just wondering if there is a defined list to let me know for certain.

Certainly no options to adjust it in game anyway. Sony shouldn’t allow games to be published on the ps5 without it if it looks worse if it’s on by default at the system level.

I’m almost certain bugsnax has no hdr.

Yeah this shouldn't happen as I don't know weather to not bother with HDR or not. Also the Dual Sense in Astro feels amazing, I can see why its been praised. 

Curiously the PS5 seems to be showing a minor advantage on multi plat titles. More so if the dualsense implementation is good like Dirt 5 seems to be. I'd resided my self to the position that the XsX would be better but the difference would not be as bad as the PS3 Vs 360 situation. And hoped it wouldn't be as bad as the PS4 XB1 delta. But the opposite is a total surprise. 

It seems Sony's overall architecture is better at the moment. I do expect this to flip as the software tools get more mature on XsX but the same will be true to certain extent on PS5.dare I say it but there's some interesting hardware breakdowns on GAF (shudder) that explain why the PS5 has advantages. 

44 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Curiously the PS5 seems to be showing a minor advantage on multi plat titles. More so if the dualsense implementation is good like Dirt 5 seems to be. I'd resided my self to the position that the XsX would be better but the difference would not be as bad as the PS3 Vs 360 situation. And hoped it wouldn't be as bad as the PS4 XB1 delta. But the opposite is a total surprise. 

It seems Sony's overall architecture is better at the moment. I do expect this to flip as the software tools get more mature on XsX but the same will be true to certain extent on PS5.dare I say it but there's some interesting hardware breakdowns on GAF (shudder) that explain why the PS5 has advantages. 

It's not that curious, the Xbox Serious L is bottlenecked to high heaven and DX12 doesn't get as close the metal as the Playstation API's.

3 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I noticed that the Deluxe version is up for £29 but that the Barcelona SS, Toyota and starting boost pack or whatever it is that’s included were listed as free anyway so you can probably download those if you haven’t already.

@Marlew scratch that, they’re not showing as free now. However I have bought this standard edition. :D

2 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Do you think perhaps each game has some kind of secret profile of sorts....how bizarre.

We need to know though because losing 70 gig is a lot for this super fast expensive and finite SSD.

I’ve deleted some PS4 games off the SSD and the other storage has now gone down to 38GB. I now only have 3 PS4 games installed. So yes having less PS4 games installed will reduce the size of this other folder.

On 20/11/2020 at 17:52, JPR said:

Have the trophy video clips been mentioned?

Just noticed that it automatically makes a 15 sec clip when you get a trophy, I like them but they take up a fair bit of space. My Astro's playroom media folder is nearly 500MB and I've only got 15 trophies.

You can transfer them to USB or turn them off via Captures and Broadcasts in the settings.

Early on when PS4 and Xbox One launched the bloody FIFA games were horrible for posting automatic screenshots to your feed. Thankfuilly ramped down a bit after a few months when the next wave of games arrived.  Depending on games I noticed Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted being nobs for taking screenshots every-time I earned a trophy.  Was very annoying.   Good to see next gen has taken it to recording video clips.  

Does it show you the action you did to earn the trophy or is it 15 seconds or a trophy notification appearing.  On PS4 there wasn't really any context to the actions on screen and when the trophy appeared on screen to be screen shotted.

God damn it. O forgot there was a cart in PS store. 

Ended up buying Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy and some other shit and all I wanted was PES. 

Fucking chardonnay will be the death of me. 

Is that a urinal? 

14 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Early on when PS4 and Xbox One launched the bloody FIFA games were horrible for posting automatic screenshots to your feed. Thankfuilly ramped down a bit after a few months when the next wave of games arrived.  Depending on games I noticed Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted being nobs for taking screenshots every-time I earned a trophy.  Was very annoying.   Good to see next gen has taken it to recording video clips.  

Does it show you the action you did to earn the trophy or is it 15 seconds or a trophy notification appearing.  On PS4 there wasn't really any context to the actions on screen and when the trophy appeared on screen to be screen shotted.

It's all configurable, length, duration, on/off etc.

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!