PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

2 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Is this coil whine some of you are experiencing quite loud? Or do you have to stick your ear up to the console to catch it?

It's bad. Can hear it all the time. 

11 minutes ago, Gabe said:

It's not really a "thing" in as much as it is possibly a consequence of the PS5 GPU being clocked higher than the XSX, so it's being pushed more. I don't think there's any evidence that it goes away though and I people are constantly returning GPUs on overclockers because they have coil whine - so if there was any suggestion in it settling down I'm after a while I don't think that would have been such a big issue over there.

OK makes sense. Used to spray a liquid resin type substance over coils in high powered circuits years ago to stop it. Guessing they are mostly sealed units these days.

22 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Teardown of the DualSense controller for those interested. Wow they cram a lot of parts inside of this! :) So the harptic feedback tech is essentially a force feedback as used for in other things like wheels for a bit. Still interesting to see how it all hangs together. Looks like they have improved the rumble motors too. Great bit of engineering Sony! 

Thought this was another horror story re Hermes at quick glance.

Getting fed up of games uninstalling or telling me there's a different version installed when I reinsert a disc.

People are having the same problem with digital versions. 

Sony need to get their shit in order. Why charge £70 for a game if people can't play it. Also, having to redownload massive updates every time is a pisstake. 

25 minutes ago, Ry said:

It's bad. Can hear it all the time. 

:( 

Dunno what to suggest really but that's not good. I would say swap it but now isn't exactly the best time for that due to the lack of availability.

Did anyone mention coil whine in the reviews? It surely can't be an acceptable thing to have in a new unit regardless if a few others here are noticing it too.

6 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Getting fed up of games uninstalling or telling me there's a different version installed when I reinsert a disc.

Sony need to get their shit in order. Why charge £70 for a game if people can't play it. Also, having to redownload massive updates every time is a pisstake. 

Happened to me twice on Spiderman Miles.

4 hours ago, Sng said:

You'll be able to tell if it's used or not when you first boot it. If you see the first boot scene then it's not been used. 

This is an excellent shout, thanks. Helpfully, my TV was enabling some mode or other when I switched it on for the first time which obscured the one-time-only scene. However, from watching that I think I caught the very first second of it plus it definitely had the 'connect pad to console' prompt up when the screen cleared.

I've done the updates, installed the games I have and downloaded my cloud saves, but I haven't played anything new yet. That's for after work, unfortunately. So I haven't had a chance to experience the new innovations in the controller but it feels nice and premium from tooling around in the menus.

I don't have as much of an issue with the UI in general as some have mentioned but there are definitely annoyances. Folders not being there at launch seems odd. As mentioned, no Deals section in the store is frustrating, especially as they seemingly started their Black Friday deals today. Most strange of all for me is that there seems to be no search function in the library section. So if I want to play something I bought a while ago but haven't played yet, I either have to scroll down my list of games for an eternity or, presumably, navigate to the store and search for it there. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. I wouldn't put it past me; I'm a dullard.

2 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Happened to me twice on Spiderman Miles.

Me to with COD : MW (disk version).  Some strange shit going on. 

In other news the credits are rolling on Astrobot - MORE OF THIS ALL GEN PLEASE! 

Spoiler

That last boss level! :wub:

14 hours ago, Hardbattle said:

Some of the ps5 games are cheap in the store - WRC 9 is £24.99 for example. Watchdogs is £38.99. No idea why or how long these prices are good for....

Does anyone have WRC 9 on PS5? How is it, is it a nextgen bump up graphically from PS4 and does it use the DualSense adaptive triggers etc.? Also I just want something to play on a pad rather than plugging my wheel in. Thinking about Dirt 5 but this seems a good price.

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

Just console launch glitches though... Always expect stuff like this when you are an early adopter. Its annoying but well you have a new console and some new games to play!

I suppose on the flip-side would you have been happier if they had delayed for say another few months, released in March and ironed out the odd glitch? Suppose its a difficult thing, hugely complex devices and network services to support them with a massive amount of devices all going live at once! Bound to be the odd issue. Not making an excuse for them but.... 

1 hour ago, Simmy said:

Is this coil whine some of you are experiencing quite loud? Or do you have to stick your ear up to the console to catch it?

I can generally hear it across the room, but definitely seems better when horizontal rather than vertical.

Just not as easy to find a place for it, and would prefer it not to be in my entertainment unit where it's a little cramped to say the least!

51 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I suppose on the flip-side would you have been happier if they had delayed for say another few months, released in March and ironed out the odd glitch? 

Yes, if it meant I could just play the games rather than have to download the same update / copy the same data every time I wanted to play.

So - few bits from me...

The disk drive is really loud when installing something.  I had copied across a bunch of games via a USB drive from my PS4 but for whatever reason The Witcher 3 didn't like that.  As soon as I stuck the disk in it started installing and making a hell of a racket.  It calmed down after that but it was a bit worrying at the time.  And then I had to go an redownload all the DLC for The Witcher that it didn't both downloading when it installed the game.  Which was a bit clunky.

On the other hand - I like being able to see all the PS Plus games from the menu without having to go into the store, and the PS Plus collection is easy to find too.

I've tried Bugsnax (fine, my son is now playing it - it seems quite inventive.  He's enjoying it so far), Miles Morales (looked great, played like Spiderman PS4 but that's a good thing) and Astrobot.  The latter was probably the first time I really felt I was playing something new.  I got an Xbox Series X last week and although I love it, it is basically like getting a graphics card upgrade - things ran better and faster, and I liked it but it wasn't something different.   Astrobot (and especially the rumble and triggers) was something I'd not played before.  Particularly pulling the lever in the Gatcha machine and then crushing the baubles that come out - that felt so tactile that I both my son and I gave a little laugh when we first experienced it.

All that said - I am sure the rumble and triggers could get old fast in a game less built around them, but for the game that focussed on them, I thought they really added something...

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Just console launch glitches though... Always expect stuff like this when you are an early adopter.

Glitches are one thing, and yes everyone expects them, but deleting games seems a bit beyond that - it's not a minor gripe, it's a major issue - especially when coupled with the download queue bug as well.

Slack given since we're in a pandemic, but they do need to fix them *quickly* - it's not something that will be acceptable if it's still around in even a month IMO.

Seems safe mode + rebuild database is fixing the download queued bug.

Those with randomly deleted games - are you using and external drive for PS4 games and are the games that get deleted PS4 'upgrades' to PS5?

Me theory is - PS4 games install on external drive by default (if you toggled the option) then when you upgrade to PS5 version you redownload to the Internal drive, when it patched it patches the PS4 version and deletes the PS5 version... Just. a theory though putting it out there so those with issue can pick holes in it

2 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Glitches are one thing, and yes everyone expects them, but deleting games seems a bit beyond that - it's not a minor gripe, it's a major issue - especially when coupled with the download queue bug as well.

Slack given since we're in a pandemic, but they do need to fix them *quickly* - it's not something that will be acceptable if it's still around in even a month IMO.

The download queue bug is fixable by safemode - rebuild database...

And you are quite right - the delete games glitch needs to be fixed in the next few days. If it's still around in a month it will be terrible for the brand and us gamers.

Right now the PS Store is being slow as shit most of it isn't working - suggests to me that they maybe fixing issues now.

I can't download the PS5 version of MM from the store at all. I don't get any option to pick a version, just PS4. Guess I'll be playing some more Astrobot - they'll have trouble randomly deleting that!

Yesterday I noticed that my already installed disc version of Miles Morales was showing as 49.99 instead of where the play button should be. If you press the 3 dots next to it, you can select the Full Game version (or something) and then could play it again. Not had an issue since then

14 minutes ago, Quexex said:

The download queue bug is fixable by safemode - rebuild database...

And you are quite right - the delete games glitch needs to be fixed in the next few days. If it's still around in a month it will be terrible for the brand and us gamers.

I got obsessive with that on the PS4. Hope it's something that needs to be done for this one launch issue and never looked at again.

My UI used to fucking crawl after multiple game updates etc.

Find cable connect to console press power button until 2 beeps then turn controller on then navigate to repair database then wait 5 minutes then launch UI then delete those fucking "welcome to PlayStation!" notifications then off you go. Repeat when UI crawls again.

Made a difference to responsiveness but I don't want to be doing that this generation too.

21 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Right now the PS Store is being slow as shit most of it isn't working - suggests to me that they maybe fixing issues now.

Well it only launched yesterday so there's probably piles of people downloading massive amounts of data from their store? Doesn't help when folks have to grab multiple copies of the same files because its broken.

30 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Those with randomly deleted games - are you using and external drive for PS4 games and are the games that get deleted PS4 'upgrades' to PS5?

Nope, I've only got two games - Miles and Demon's.  Both disc.  Installed and updated both, played some Miles, went to play some DS and it was uninstalled.  

4 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Well it only launched yesterday so there's probably piles of people downloading massive amounts of data from their store? Doesn't help when folks have to grab multiple copies of the same files because its broken.

You are quite right, just being hopeful. I think my 'special code' for MM that can not be upgraded, it was free so I can't complain.