PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

What a day... Can't remember the last time I took the whole day off to play games. PS5 has certainly not disappointed. 2hours of astrobot with my 14yo son (he's isolating ATM due to a case of COVID in his school bubble).

Then 3 and a half hours of Last of Us 2 as we are playing through together.

So far so good, no weirdness yet. Rest mode is silent, you can just hear the fan in silent moments in games. Other than that it's certainly quiet. Playing LoU2 I'm near silence was fantastic. 

Controller is excellent the HD rumble some times gets filtered out but certain experiences like skating on ice in astro are sublime and impossible to ignore.

Curiously horizontal is quieter than vertical. 

Also the cards are fantastic. We had Ben sharing the Astrobot duties and I'd noticed that he'd missed a load of secrets in some of the levels so I quit LoU2 and launched the card - zip 12 seconds (mental count not scientific) later I'm in the level I want to play. No logos no hub straight in.

Initially the external HDD was reporting just two games so we let it 'index' for a while. After that is was fine.

In the UI I miss the option to check the save data from the game to make sure it's got the latest from the cloud.

Yes I did put a disc in upside down the first time! 

Wife thinks it's ugly vertical, I prefer it but I might go back to floaty again.

Want an official charging dock. And more time to play not touched Demons souls yet!

First impressions. 

Playing Spiderman. Why anyone wouldn't pick the 60fps is beyond me.

Spiderman has crashed twice in less than an hour. 

Astrobot is a ton of fun. 

Adaptive triggers do nothing for me, although will need to experience them in a few more games. 

The rumble in Astrobot is great, best ever in fact. That feeling when rain or hail hits combined with the speaker is brilliant. The subtle feeling of skating on ice, fantastic. Again, bit gimmicky and don't see it being utilised as well as this. 

Dpad is fucking horrible and buttons are spongier but fine. 

Feels OK in the hand, sticks are identical to PS4 (ie shit) will need to buy some grips for them as the plastic they use seems off compared to any other pad. 

UI is snappy and works fine but not intuitive when you want to get to important settings or features. Kinda disappointed by this. 

The thing is not silent. All these reviewers can fuck right off. Rest mode is a no go because of the sound. 

I love that it's a big bastard

Store isn't optimised, no section for sales etc. Will be fixed. 

I don't think it will take my piss as well. 

All in all, its a box that plays games. It plays one game fine and one game has issues. 

Astro is lovely. Not as lovely as Robot Rescue in VR of course, but still ace. The ice skating is utterly brilliant, such a clever, subtle feeling. It did crash the PS5 once though. Not ideal.

Demon’s Souls is amazing. Looks fantastic and 60fps is the way it should be played. Just did for Phalanx and loved every minute of 1-1.

Will play some Spidey tomorrow, if I can summon the courage to eject the Demon’s disc after these bug reports.

The console (on its side) is a big, hideous, molten-looking plasticky monstrosity. Can’t get some black plates quick enough. At least it’s whisper quiet, but fuck me it’s no stranger to the ugly stick.

4 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Oh no..PS4 hours played stats 

Where does that data come from? Is it from the save files? Or from the installed app (meaning you don’t get it unless you transfer PS4 data across to PS5?)

I have a PS4 and a PS4 Pro on the go, the former for VR and the other for HDR on the telly - time spent on some games is split between the two, is there any chance of those stats being accurate?

14 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Where does that data come from? Is it from the save files? Or from the installed app (meaning you don’t get it unless you transfer PS4 data across to PS5?)

I have a PS4 and a PS4 Pro on the go, the former for VR and the other for HDR on the telly - time spent on some games is split between the two, is there any chance of those stats being accurate?

They'll be from analytics they've been tracking for years. I remember recieving an email with my top games for their anniversary 500+ hrs on GT5 50 on Starwars battle front so they have been tracking them for a while. They just now allowed that data to be shown to the user.

I think the console looks great in person, love the white and I like that it standa out. The Dualsense is wonderful, feels weighty and not cheap.  Astros playroom is wonderful, only played a couple of levels but can't wait to play more. Also just started Spiderman and it looks amazing. Tomorrow will be a full day of gaming. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I still prefer the performance mode. :)

I just posted in the MM thread about this. Performance mode felt like the real step up from the original PS4 Spider-Man. Everything moves so fast in the traversal and combat that the graphics glitter usually takes a backseat. 

8 minutes ago, unleashedmaniac said:

This is the noise I'm getting when I'm playing any game at the moment. Not as bad on the home screen, but still audible across the room.

Think I will be trying to get another unit as and when they come available, as it appears most seem to be fairly quiet.

So hard to tell off a phone recording as playback is then amped by my phone at the other end... Seems loud though. I can hear mine when there is no sound on the TV but it's a noticeable whisper rather than an invasive noise. 

However I am at the age where I've lost a certain amount of my hearing frequency as was proven by my son on a walk in the summer. "Do you hear those crickets dad", "nope I hear nothing". It was only when he recorded it on his phone and played it back could I hear them ... Getting old sucks... Like the Game and Watch, which I can only play with glasses!

6 minutes ago, Quexex said:

So hard to tell off a phone recording as playback is then amped by my phone at the other end... Seems loud though. I can hear mine when there is no sound on the TV but it's a noticeable whisper rather than an invasive noise. 

However I am at the age where I've lost a certain amount of my hearing frequency as was proven by my son on a walk in the summer. "Do you hear those crickets dad", "nope I hear nothing". It was only when he recorded it on his phone and played it back could I hear them ... Getting old sucks... Like the Game and Watch, which I can only play with glasses!

:lol: Age is a cruel thing!

Yeah I'd probably say the recording makes it sound quieter than it is. When playing any game, it's fairly audible even with the soundbar on a decent volume.

Just now, unleashedmaniac said:

:lol: Age is a cruel thing!

Yeah I'd probably say the recording makes it sound quieter than it is. When playing any game, it's fairly audible even with the soundbar on a decent volume.

Has it got space to vent behind it? If not you might want to get it swapped if you can. You could also try going floaty (horizontal) as mine was definitely quieter like that.

My PS5 has been quiet all day with two exceptions:

1. When installing from a disc as you'd expect

2. Just booted God of War (2018) and there's a noticeable uptick in fan noise when the game starts to boot - oh come on!!

EDIT: Horizon too makes the fan spin a bit faster. Maybe it's a Pro BC thing?

Some of the set-up pics show that you guys have your PS5s in sections of a TV cabinet with partitions (or other consoles) to the sides and a wall to the rear - that’s similar to how I will be doing it. Any overheating issues with that? In the run up to launch everyone was speculating that the fins on the PS5 were there to ensure adequate airflow clearance, but as far as I know that is just speculation. When the series X launched there was talk of consoles struggling without 4” clearance and stuff, people being told not to put them in those kinds of positions etc. so I’m a bit wary.

I gather resetera has had lots of issues being brought up over the last week but I can’t bring myself to visit that place, just wondering if overheating is one of them.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Astro is lovely. Not as lovely as Robot Rescue in VR of course, but still ace. The ice skating is utterly brilliant, such a clever, subtle feeling. It did crash the PS5 once though. Not ideal.

This is tremendous though, I never want it end, I’m taking my time. And yes, the ice skating is brilliant :D. So many cool little touches and references at every single step. This is how you introduce a console!

How come Sony haven't bought Housemarque already? It feels like it would be a great fit: they're struggling to be independent, were almost PS exclusive anyway, and you could presumably ask them to make next-gen versions of a pile of really good games that already exist.

2 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Right well it’s a lot bloody later than I planned due to a late delivery then needing to take the TV off the wall, thread the new HDMI cable into the hidden conduit, fit it all back on again, cut the back of the media unit and rejig the shelves all because it didn’t fit in the slot I had prepared. But... we are finally go for PS5 in the little ninja house! :sealclap:

E2726E7C-BC4D-4985-8449-99ACEF238043.thumb.jpeg.f2037dacbe595388d93f6a65033569b4.jpeg

I have no opinions yet other than the start up looked lovely. Currently downloading the system update. However I have caved and bought Demon Souls after all.

Wow