PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Apparently DMC5 is a bit of a mess if you have a 120Hz screen. It only outputs in 120Hz, regardless of whether you choose the 120fps mode or not. So all the non-framerate modes are at like 70fps, and if you have a 120Hz display with HDMI 2.0 only (so only 1080p120), you can’t play the game in 4K - as it’s locked to 120Hz output, it displays at 1080p max.

53 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I had one with game and one with Amazon arrive today within an hour of each other - it’s a promising combo for you!

Peeps on Reddit have said loads of games have graphic and text issues - Ubi listed their games as not compatible due to issues not because they don’t run, they just have higher standards than Sony....

Lol, that's a pretty low bar given the D1 state of a lot of Ubi games. But if there is equivalence here then hopefully we will see fixes over time. Be interesting to see what Sony's D1 update is like and if it's different to the review builds.

4 minutes ago, LiMuBai said:

Exactly. HDMI 2.0 doesn’t have the bandwidth to handle 4K120, and since the PS5 can’t do 1440p anyway, it has to drop down to 1080p120.

I don’t see how that’s unexpected when using HDMI 2.0 rather than 2.1

Waves... Hello my Vita friend :)

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Peeps on Reddit have said loads of games have graphic and text issues - Ubi listed their games as not compatible due to issues not because they don’t run, they just have higher standards than Sony....

That sounds like kind of a big deal. Got any links or anything? Surprised DF didn’t pick up on it.

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

That sounds like kind of a big deal. Got any links or anything? Surprised DF didn’t pick up on it.

They mentioned it and even said they saw minor graphical glitches in the Asscreed games. However they needed more time to review the extent of the issues. They seemed to emply the message overstated the issues they saw.

Do we know if connecting the PS5 up through the PSVR (2nd edition) pass-through box will get the full signal to the TV? 

I like to leave everything set up, so would be annoyed if I had to have two different hdmi cable setups. 

Edit: by full signal I mean 4K and whatever shenanigans are going on with the frame rate. 

2 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Do we know if connecting the PS5 up through the PSVR (2nd edition) pass-through box will get the full signal to the TV? 

I like to leave everything set up, so would be annoyed if I had to have two different hdmi cable setups. 

Edit: by full signal I mean 4K and whatever shenanigans are going on with the frame rate. 

Hmm not sure if it passes through HDMI 2.1. What TV you running?

3 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Missed that one, that's a bit more than a 'minor graphical glitch' hopefully Everybody's Golf is ok

Hmm must have been past the point I normally zone out of their videos and start to question what I’m doing with my life. 

That’s a shame then!

And so the comparisons begin.

I know there's a thread for this but as it's the first I guess it's 'news' at this point. Watching a low bit rate stream on my phone tells me nothing other than the tone very different between the two much like the PS3 Vs 360 videos.

7 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Haven’t actually decided yet. I was sold on the LG CX OLED until the posts today about the VRR issue. Now I’m reconsidering. 

Are there any TV's that DON'T have the VRR issue?

Expecting SeanR to come in and say CRT's.

40 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Missed that one, that's a bit more than a 'minor graphical glitch' hopefully Everybody's Golf is ok

You have to run that through the Shimmyhill hyperbole filter before taking it too much to heart. Unless someone's got a handy link.

43 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Now that’s interesting. I wonder if the free psvr converter thing is to allow hdmi  2.1 pass through, although somehow I doubt it and Sony will just expect you to unplug and replug.

Given that 2.1 devices didn’t exist prior to the release of the nvidia 3080, I highly doubt psvr will allow it.

17 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Are there any TV's that DON'T have the VRR issue?

Expecting SeanR to come in and say CRT's.

I believe only the OLEDs have the VRR issue, though apparently the 2.1 Sony has blurring issues, and I’ve not seen any reports of Samsung issues yet. With the Xbox being out now and the Ps5 out in the US soon, I expect the web will be full of reports soon enough though.

4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Im in bed now, all gamed out and so many updates still going - could do with a chill out on Astrobot about now tho.....

Cool, good times, that will be me next week, hopefully! Astrobot soooon :) Game and Watch sooner ... 

Right. So I rewatched the Digital Foundry BC video (skipping a fair amount, because I'd watched it before, until I got to the bits where they talked about issues.) DF, as far as I can tell, didn't find any issues they could note outside of the warning messages. Those Ubi "incompatible" titles (which Ubi posted about, and then retracted) all worked fine.

And then the GameSpot video just above shows some admittedly bad-looking sky on Resi 7, where it's like super-bright and like posterised or something. And then that's the only issue they found.

Which is why I said "hyperbole filter", really.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!