PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nah, that's a feature that should just be there, day one. It's a shit-show from Sony that it's not. 

That's a bit strong, come on, we are heading back to 'genuine concern' in this thread despite Sony delivering above and beyond expectations.

Also given the priority based nature of software development you can see why VRR may have more made launch. 

Users that buy a PS5 that have a VRR capable TV is a much smaller subset than those with 4K.

I'm also disappointed it's not made launch but it's hardly a 'shit show'. 

1 minute ago, Quexex said:

That's a bit strong, come on, we are heading back to 'genuine concern' in this thread despite Sony delivering above and beyond expectations.

Also given the priority based nature of software development you can see why VRR may have more made launch. 

Users that buy a PS5 that have a VRR capable TV is a much smaller subset than those with 4K.

I'm also disappointed it's not made launch but it's hardly a 'shit show'. 

It is a shit show when your competitor has the same feature working perfectly on their console that's out a week before yours. I played Control with VRR on PC and it makes quite the difference. Given the performance modes of the new games aren't locked 60fps, just "up to" 60fps, I was expecting VRR to smooth that off - because that's exactly what VRR is made for. But it's not a feature on the PS5 at launch.

That's a black eye for Sony.

4 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

I'll regret asking this but what's VRR?

Variable Refresh Rate. You know how some games are 60fps, but during some intense set pieces or action the framerate dips to 45ish? Well, with a VRR capable TV your TV's refresh rate adjusts on the fly to match the framerate. This means frames are rendered at the same time as the TVs screen refreshes, this all but eliminates the usual stutter you see when you get those dips.

The Xbox One X and the Series S/X can do that now, out of the box. The PS5 does not. 

14 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Christ this thread is aggressive. I give up, I came here to enjoy the hype of a new console launch in one of the most depressing years in recent memory. We've had months of FUD and BS to finally get answers on the most pressing issues and still everyone is moaning.

Shit I want VRR, Dolby Vision on 4K UHD movie playback better VR support. But I'm hardly going to lose my shit over it given what's on offer. 

This whole XSX does it why can't Sony is great and all but it like me turning up in the Xbox thread and shitting on their parade because they have no VR support and PS has had that for years...

Aggressive? What? I think you've wildly misinterpreted the tone of my posts. :)

57 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Disc version of TLG runs at 1800p, 60 fps according to NX Gamer :o

The Last Guardian is THE game I’ve been waiting to see on PS5

i’m gutted the framerate is now locked.

It’s such a great thing to know people will get it free in the collection but I’m hoping they patch it.....curve ball. Maybe if I download it from the collection on a Ps5 it will have a patch, unlikely I know but it would make more sense than messing it up for PS4 owners or going in and coding a toggle option.

It’s an all time classic.

Found this link of currently uncapped PS4 games (TLG isn’t included, I suppose since the 30 cap was patched in), which should give us an idea of what games will run at 60fps on PS5:

Anthem

Ark: Survival Evolved

Borderlands 3

Crysis: Remastered

Dark Souls 3

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Days Gone

Dead by Daylight

Dreams

Ghost of Tsushima

God of War (2018)

Final Fantasy XIV

Final Fantasy XV

Fortnite

Hitman

Hitman 2

infamous: Second Son

Killzone: Shadow Fall

Kingdom Hearts 3

Knack

Knack 2

Marvel's Avengers

Monster Hunter World

Nioh

Nioh 2

PUBG

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Saints Row The Third Remastered

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Shenmue 3

Sniper Elite 4

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

The Evil Within 2

2 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

If they could patch Bloodborne, MGS:V and Death Stranding to become uncapped that’d be gr8thnx cheerz x

Isn’t MGS V 60 anyway?

Death Stranding has to be patched surely.

I have 4tb of PS4 games, I’ll keep an eye out for which ones get patched this week but....it could be disappointing.

Oh, I don’t know about MGS:V actually. It could be, I haven’t properly played it. Had it on my pile for YEARS, but only played the entire rest of the series for the first time during lockdown :blush: Really wanted to make sure I played the others somehow some way before playing Phantom Pain. 

I can see Death Stranding being patched, but I can see them holding off on Bloodborne with the ultimate aim of releasing a fully priced remaster at some point this gen.

Assuming it works the same way as on xbox, games with a locked framerate but heavy use of dynamic resolution should benefit too from running at the maximum res. For example Assassin's Creed Odyssey could/should hit 4k30 I believe, Doom Eternal could reach 4k60 before any next gen updates. 

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

Oh, I don’t know about MGS:V actually. It could be, I haven’t properly played it. Had it on my pile for YEARS, but only played the entire rest of the series for the first time during lockdown :blush: Really wanted to make sure I played the others somehow some way before playing Phantom Pain. .

Possibly not the right thread for this, but is it possible to play the previous games in any form on the PS5? I only ever played the first MGS on a flatmates's PS1 (I have no idea how I got past the bit where you have to do the thing - were there guides on the Internet back then?) but I've wanted to play the other games in the series for an age but just never got around to buying my own PS.

3 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Possibly not the right thread for this, but is it possible to play the previous games in any form on the PS5? I only ever played the first MGS on a flatmates's PS1 (I have no idea how I got past the bit where you have to do the thing - were there guides on the Internet back then?) but I've wanted to play the other games in the series for an age but just never got around to buying my own PS.

The MGS 2 & 3 HD collection and MGS 4 are both available on PS3 through PlayStation Now. 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 | 10 Days - No VRR - Genuine Concern
3 minutes ago, Thor said:

So now I can't express disappointment about a missing feature without wild accusations?

You carry on! Your sometimes extreme reactions to games and hardware is what keeps me going through the day.

Hell, I've had years of fucking about adding turquoise to skies because of you!

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Decent vid. I dont rate Leadbetter all that much but he's bang on about the the lack of VRR. I thought that was just there, a given at launch. What the fuck are Sony playing at?

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Nah, that's a feature that should just be there, day one. It's a shit-show from Sony that it's not. 

7 hours ago, Thor said:

It is a shit show when your competitor has the same feature working perfectly on their console that's out a week before yours. I played Control with VRR on PC and it makes quite the difference. Given the performance modes of the new games aren't locked 60fps, just "up to" 60fps, I was expecting VRR to smooth that off - because that's exactly what VRR is made for. But it's not a feature on the PS5 at launch.

That's a black eye for Sony.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

So now I can't express disappointment about a missing feature without wild accusations?

I mean, I wouldn’t say anybody’s misinterpreted the tone of your posts.

I’m pretty sure VRR will be patched in if it’s been advertised by Sony. I’m willing to give some leeway in this absolute twat of a year!

6 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Found this link of currently uncapped PS4 games (TLG isn’t included, I suppose since the 30 cap was patched in), which should give us an idea of what games will run at 60fps on PS5:

Anthem

Ark: Survival Evolved

Borderlands 3

Crysis: Remastered

Dark Souls 3

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Days Gone

Dead by Daylight

Dreams

Ghost of Tsushima

God of War (2018)

Final Fantasy XIV

Final Fantasy XV

Fortnite

Hitman

Hitman 2

infamous: Second Son

Killzone: Shadow Fall

Kingdom Hearts 3

Knack

Knack 2

Marvel's Avengers

Monster Hunter World

Nioh

Nioh 2

PUBG

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Saints Row The Third Remastered

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Shenmue 3

Sniper Elite 4

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

The Evil Within 2

No Super Stardust Ultra? Pre-order cancelled.

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ