PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

48 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Can you connect your PS4 to PS5 with an ethernet cable and transfer profile and saves that way ? I genuinely don't know but it's what I did with my PS4 - Pro.

You sir, are a genius. 

1 hour ago, Pelekophoros said:

MASSIVE DS VIDEO

I love the lengths to which Sony is going to fully reclaim this title after the Shu-debacle. :D Also the new score is giving it Bloodborne-esque vibe to it. Which is definitely not a negative.

2 hours ago, dose said:

You're comparing BC which is pointless. From cold boot Astro's Playroom loads in 5 seconds, Miles Morales in 7 seconds. Let's do the comparisons once there are next gen games to look at.

Two years from now? In the meantime the only metrics we've got are BC load times where SX is way faster.*

* for now, at least. 

This waffle about loading times nitpicking down to the millisecond is insane. It's going to be temporary anyway until developers find ways of cramming better stuff in there at the expense of time once again.

For now, let's just enjoy its absence where possible.

10 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

This waffle about loading times nitpicking down to the millisecond is insane. It's going to be temporary anyway until developers find ways of cramming better stuff in there at the expense of time once again.

For now, let's just enjoy its absence where possible.

It's tens of thousands of milliseconds. Just seems surprising. 

44 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Watch from the 9.5minute mark.

That's not really quick resume or a suspend mode. It doe show how quick it is to load between games, but he basically loads straight to a MM save game point, then goes through the Astro menu, and then back to the MM save game point.

The speed does make quick resume a bit redundant, but you can't pick up from exactly where you were (or at least that's not what he's demoing)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-ps5-games-cant-be-moved-from-ssd

Eurogamer are reporting that you can’t archive PS5 software to an external drive. It’s either in the internal storage, or deleted. Might not be ideal for those with slower connections. Some pretty meaty re-downloads might be needed.

id say they fix that in a patch, but it doesn’t strike me as something they missed...more of a decision they’ve made for some reason.

11 hours ago, Marlew said:

The reality is in fact extremely close to what is a major feature and selling point of the Series X, and they didn't even bother to announce this, just let reviewers find out. 

It’s only been made a major selling point because MS have fuck all original new games at launch.

3 hours ago, Ry said:

SM MM comparison video. 

You can really tell its a PS4 game first and foremost. 

I'm in for that 60fps. 

I’m not sure a comparison of cutscenes tells us very much, other than better face rendering. The important improvements are to the open world, and the framerate.

8 minutes ago, ThePinkNinja said:

So nice to find someone else who doesn't think the sun shines out of this rather tedious games arse!

Don't get me wrong - I liked it enough to complete it, and I can remember the combat being good fun, but I wasn't especially taken by the narrative. I'm still looking forward to the sequel, though.

I must admit the DF backwards compat video and the load times one above makes me look forward to eventually owning a PS5 at some point in the future, if only to get though some of the PS4 games I have. 

Question is though, can it run Densha de Go!! Hashirou Yamatesen?

3 hours ago, rgraves said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-ps5-games-cant-be-moved-from-ssd

Eurogamer are reporting that you can’t archive PS5 software to an external drive. It’s either in the internal storage, or deleted. Might not be ideal for those with slower connections. Some pretty meaty re-downloads might be needed.

id say they fix that in a patch, but it doesn’t strike me as something they missed...more of a decision they’ve made for some reason.

I'd suggest it not a priority for review machines and is part of the D1 update.

3 minutes ago, Quexex said:

I'd suggest it not a priority for review machines and is part of the D1 update.

Or it will be like folders and sometime in the next 2 years ;) 

Im pretty sure I’m going to pick up a digital only PS5 as it looks less horrific and I’ve been 95% digital on PS4 - are they more likely to come in stock or is the disc version?

32 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

When the entire selling point is the on-board SSD for speedy games, I really think PS5 games on a “common” external drive is not going to happen. 

Sure, but people are talking about just storing them on external storage, not playing PS5 games from there. For many needing to delete and then redownload ~60GB is a big ask.

Of course this won't be an imminent issue unless people are clogging their internal SSD with loads of PS4 games; there's no real speed benefit over an external SSD for those, as they aren't designed to make use of the new hardware. Give it a year and installing an internal M.2 expansion will probably be okay value, too, but I suspect a firmware update will allow archiving of PS5 games to external drives within the first few months.

I was almost certain during one of the Sony presentations they said we could offload PS5 games to an external drive for storage purposes, but couldn’t run them from there.

Already got my PS4 games on an external ssd (moved off my internal ssd :facepalm:) and I’ve not noticed any difference in loading times.

Purely speculation, but I’d also suggest it’s a day one patch, no reason review consoles would need it.

18 minutes ago, Sell73Out said:

I was almost certain during one of the Sony presentations they said we could offload PS5 games to an external drive for storage purposes, but couldn’t run them from there.

Already got my PS4 games on an external ssd (moved off my internal ssd :facepalm:) and I’ve not noticed any difference in loading times.

Purely speculation, but I’d also suggest it’s a day one patch, no reason review consoles would need it.

I have done that, GTA loads up in about 30 seconds now from mine on the PRO.