PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Hang about, so after listening to complaints about potential lack of b/c for months it turns out practically all games run and they are “transformed” as though they were remasters, with some getting features which weren’t in the original games???

Well, they kept that under their bloody hats didn’t they. :lol:

3 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Just caught up with the DF backwards compatibility video... very impressive. The Series X one was great and I had my own little worries that the PS5 version might be a little half-baked by comparison but it looks really solid.

Given that I'm running a base PS4 at the moment - and this is looking like a genuinely improved version of the PS4 Pro in most cases - I think I could be really pleasantly surprised at how much of a step up it is performance wise, especially as I have quite a few PS4 games still on my list to get through. Bring on the 19th!

I’m glad I skipped the mid gen refresh. Going to see a big jump from these new consoles. 

25 minutes ago, rafaqat said:
i wonder what the ps5 is doing in standby that causes it to be 3 times slower.  Cold boot times are comparable though.  Are we going to see the superior ps5 SSD throughout only on certain scenarios?  Or maybe it’s an OS optimization they can make further down the line like Nintendo did for Wii U?

Microsoft have had a lot of experience in load time optimisations (Win 10 boots fast even on a potato PC). I'm sure things will improve for both machines as time goes by. It's not even day 1 for either machine.

7 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Didn’t someone say there’s a mysterious PS3 mode on there that's empty right now? 

If I could shove my entire PS3 library on there and it was enhanced? That would be a bit good.

I'd be surprised, not impossible but the ps3 is a bastard to emulate.

2 hours ago, BitterToad said:

I could have sworn someone set up a thread for that exact type of comparison chat..?

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

the multi format game comparison thread?  

or is there another one I’ve missed?

There wasn't a thread but there is one now. Feel free to continue to discussing comparisons between the two over there.

Wow @ that DF backwards compatibility video.

Given how little they'd mentioned BC, with the focus on actual next-gen games, I expected nothing special. The cagey messaging actually made me think it would be pretty limited. Very nice surprise!

I've no doubt that the Series X solution is more elegant and will be great, but if this just works on PS5, the superior library is far more significant.

There are also quite a lot of third party games there which I never got far into, and some like Sekiro which I'll be very keen to revisit at 60fps. 

I didn’t quite get the gushing in the DF video. A 2.5x compute GPU and far more powerful CPU can get games with unlocked framerates to 60fps. I’m not that surprised by this. 

I’m glad there are now console versions of DS3 and Sekiro which run at 60fps, though.  

I have literally zero interest in the numbers or anything related to PC specs, and I start veering into oncoming traffic when I read about it, so it's more that MS made a big deal out of BC while Sony only commented that most games would work. The reality is in fact extremely close to what is a major feature and selling point of the Series X, and they didn't even bother to announce this, just let reviewers find out. 

8 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

A redesign won’t appear for another 3-4 years if it appears at all. 

Oh I know that.

My plan was to get the Series X as my main machine. I’m tied into Gamepass, it’s slightly more powerful, so third party games should run slightly better on it, I prefer the ergonomics of the controller, I much prefer the look of it and I’ve got my two boys a Series S each for Christmas, because we play together more these days and I’m trying to wean them off Fortnite. Then I’d get the PS5 at the mid-gen refresh and have a load of exclusives to play.

But, the combination of gadget lust, the glowing reviews of the DualSense, Demon’s Souls and Teddy saying new wings will be out for Christmas has got me wondering whether I should try and get one sooner.

I’m going to have to see what stock’s like over the next couple of months, but I can see myself being frivolous and picking one up if the opportunity arises. Fuck my bank balance!

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 | 12 Days - Shock, Horror Digital Foundry love it.
1 hour ago, Marlew said:

I have literally zero interest in the numbers or anything related to PC specs, and I start veering into oncoming traffic when I read about it, so it's more that MS made a big deal out of BC while Sony only commented that most games would work. The reality is in fact extremely close to what is a major feature and selling point of the Series X, and they didn't even bother to announce this, just let reviewers find out. 

I’m not sure I’d call it close. Xbox has games going back to the first Xbox, tends to upscale Xbox and Xbox 360 games, doubles framerates in some games with locked framerates, and adds in auto HDR. You also know smart Delivery is always there if your game gets an update, and your saves will always work (strangely, cloud saving has been made less convenient on PS5, for some reason). 

This is “your PS4 games work and have a bit more power.”

The specific patches for Ghost of Tshushima and Days Gone are exciting though. Especially as I’ve played neither. Hopefully, we’ll see a few more of those. 

I’m surprised there isn’t more excitement about the controller here. From the reviews I’ve seen it’s the most next-gen thing out of both consoles. I imagine once some of us get our consoles we will see the excitement increase.

1 minute ago, KriessG said:

I’m surprised there isn’t more excitement about the controller here. From the reviews I’ve seen it’s the most next-gen thing out of both consoles. I imagine once some of us get our consoles we will see the excitement increase.

Seems to be a touch it and see. Not much to get excited about until its actually in our hands.

3 minutes ago, KriessG said:

I’m very excited by it. It’s one of the things that make the console feel new in comparison to the new Xboxes and pushed me to get one. Apart from Astro, which is meant to a marvellous demo for it, Spiderman apparently varies the trigger resistance as you swing to make it feel better. I’m not exactly sure what that means, but am excited to try it. 

3 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Seems to be a touch it and see. Not much to get excited about until its actually in our hands.

Well most reviews have been very positive about it. I thought it would be mentioned here more that’s all. There is plenty to be excited about, the possibilities are vast.

2 minutes ago, KriessG said:

Well most reviews have been very positive about it. I thought it would be mentioned here more that’s all. There is plenty to be excited about, the possibilities are vast.

The embargo on the first level of Astro and the controller impressions lifted last weekend, I think, so there’s already been a fair bit of chat about it. 

@HarryBizzle In terms of current gen to next gen compatibility, it is very close. I don't care at all about BC of 360 or previous. I've no great interest in playing PS1/2/3 games, either. Almost everything from those eras that appeals has been ported or remastered. 

I tried almost everything available on BC on the One X and while it's amazing work, there was nothing I was interested in playing beyond the five minute novelty. The things I never played at the time, like Halo and Crackdown, feel very much of their era, and evocative of the years when gaming held no appeal to me. Had they put the Cave games on BC, I would never have sold two One X consoles and I'd be keeping my Series X preorder, but they didn't. I'll still keep my 360 (and backup 360) for the Cave games and versions of OutRun 2 and just hope that they outlast every device in my home. 

I was only interested in whether my current gen digital purchases were compatible with the next gen consoles, so the news that they're actually improved in many cases is a bonus. It also inspires confidence that this is no big deal to Sony. They seem entirely focused on the next gen and new games.

I'm interested in the implementation of 'auto HDR' but we've had that conversation before, so I'll wait and see before passing further comment. 

21 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Anybody grabbing this?

I've been on 5.1 for current gen but as Tempest doesn't support that yet, I'll probably get those cans.

Yes, I have the PS4 Platinum headset currently but the fake leather on the cans have been breaking up for a long time and leave black rubbery bits stuck to my face and on my desk etc. Can't wait to get these not only to resolve that issue but to see how they compare.

38 minutes ago, KriessG said:

Similar thing with the Switch controls and the rubbing ice cube stuff which came to nothing. It's a very physical response and not really something you can cover in videos, reviews etc until its in the person's hands. From most of what I've seen it looks like a bit of a gimmick that I'll end up turning off just like high end rumble.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!