PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

1 minute ago, Ry said:

Has any outlet mentioned the battery life? 

I'm guessing Sony ain't allowing them to mention it yet. Because its shit. 

I think is has a bigger battery than the PS4 one but with less lights and more motors. I'm guessing it will be about the same as the DS4 all in all.

Apologies if this has been asked before but I've got myself really confused amongst all the 3D audio chat between both this and the Xbox thread...

I have the Sony Gold folding headset which has been battered and bruised across hours of use on both my PS4 and Xbox One (via the pad adaptor). I hadn't really thought much about replacing them but then last night realised the cover on the foam is really starting to degrade pretty badly now to the point there were lots of little black flecks stuck in my hair. As such I'm considering options for replacement.

Am I right in thinking that the new 3D audio hardware stuff means you don't need "3D headphones" specifically to benefit from the effect? As such is there any big advantage we know of to the new Pulse set beyond it being a matched piece of hardware/design? I'm just working out what my options are.

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

I'm looking forward to playing Demons again but visually I feel much the same way I did with Shadow of the Collosus, technically it looks good but aesthetically it seems quite wide of the mark. From have such a distinctive style and in none of the footage I've seen do Bluepoint quite manage to capture it. There's an 'original setting' global filter apparently, be interesting to see if that helps at all. 

Yep, totally agree. I mentioned it when the first trailer was released. As technically accomplished as it obviously is, it looks, I dunno, too generic or something. From somehow manage to make everything feel otherworldly and oppressive, but I don’t think this remake manages to nail that vibe. I’m still going to play the shit out of it when I get a PS5 though.

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

looks like the PS5 wont support 1440p output which is a shame as there is a lot more displays that support 1440p @ 120 than 4k@120.

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

BENQ updated the website to remove the fact that PS5 supports 1440p.

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

That's a shame. Was hopeful for 1440p when I saw that.

DF pixel counted 1440p during the vanguard scene 

16 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Game's could still internally render at 1440p, I'm talking about 1440p as an output, basically at 1440p there are HDMI 2.0 monitors and TV's which support 1080p@120hz or 1440p@120hz with VRR but i dont think the PS5 is going to give us the option to use it.

2 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

That's just the internal resolution not the output otherwise your TV would be constantly blanking while switching resolutions.

3 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Apologies if this has been asked before but I've got myself really confused amongst all the 3D audio chat between both this and the Xbox thread...

I have the Sony Gold folding headset which has been battered and bruised across hours of use on both my PS4 and Xbox One (via the pad adaptor). I hadn't really thought much about replacing them but then last night realised the cover on the foam is really starting to degrade pretty badly now to the point there were lots of little black flecks stuck in my hair. As such I'm considering options for replacement.

Am I right in thinking that the new 3D audio hardware stuff means you don't need "3D headphones" specifically to benefit from the effect? As such is there any big advantage we know of to the new Pulse set beyond it being a matched piece of hardware/design? I'm just working out what my options are.

They were never “3D headphones” to begin with. They’re stereo headphones and the console converts a 3D sound field in to something for each of your ears. For obvious reasons Sony made it so you could only get 3D audio out of PS4 games with their headsets. The PS5 doesn’t have that restriction.

50 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

DF unboxing of both consoles.

I really loved and sympathised with Rich’s ’what am I doing?’ expressions of slight bemusement in the unboxing sections of that video. 

Have they announced any kind of back button or paddle attachment for the pad yet?

Thepad looks great but as a mainly Destiny player used to the back paddle of the XB Elite controller, I feel like I'd have to relearn how to play it with face buttons. Using paddles for running and jumping in a shooter completely transforms them for me, speaking personally as a cackhanded div. 

Surely they have to sort a super-duper expensive higher end pad for this gen? All the fancy tech they have in there with added mappable buttons and whatnot would be a game changer.

2 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

Apparently Assassin’s Creed Valhalla will just be the PS4 version running at 4K/60fps, with no added next gen sauce, apart from the PS5 having faster load times than the other versions. Well shit!

I was getting it on PC anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I was getting it on PC anyway. 

I was thinking about getting it on PS5 whilst it’s got 20% off. Not bothering now! However, I’ve bought Watchdogs Legion and that’s now sounding a bit ropey. Still......Demon’s Souls, AstroBot, Miles Morales and WRC9! Can’t complain! :)

I'll be getting Miles Morales, I already have Fifa 21, and i'll probably get COD Black Ops, I'm actually really excited to play Days Gone and to play through God of War again this time without it sounding like I've got 2 hoovers on in the same room.

18 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I'm actually really excited to play Days Gone and to play through God of War again this time without it sounding like I've got 2 hoovers on in the same room.

I want someone to get a bunch of microphones and do a next-gen console version of this.

I’m still holding out hope that it’ll support 1440p. Even though BenQ took the comment down, it may have been because they let the cat out of the bag early rather than it not being correct.

9 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

I'm looking forward to playing Demons again but visually I feel much the same way I did with Shadow of the Collosus, technically it looks good but aesthetically it seems quite wide of the mark. From have such a distinctive style and in none of the footage I've seen do Bluepoint quite manage to capture it. There's an 'original setting' global filter apparently, be interesting to see if that helps at all. 

Based on the footage, I agree. It looks good, but nothing like a Souls game. Reminds me more of that cancelled Capcom PS4 game, Deep Down?

I'll be curious to see what that setting actually does, if I had to guess it'll desaturate everything and knock the overall brightness down. Maybe add a load of bloom to soften the image. I can't really see what else they could do with just a filter, to really mimic the atmosphere of the original you'd have to redo all the lighting.

At a stretch, maybe they'll go to the effort of tweaking the filter for the different locations. To be fair I can't really remember how visually different the various levels were in relation to Dark Souls, I just remember it being very dark and grey.

5 hours ago, Vemsie said:

She obviously never played Astro Bot: Rescue Mission.

Spoiler

I’m not really joking, I’m not sure how 3D audio and haptic triggers could make more of an impression than the PSVR Astro Bot.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 | Play Has No Limits in 20 days
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 | Play has no Limits in 20 Days
16 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Slightly long winded explanation:

Internal rendering resolution can be anything, but it seems PS5, like PS4, can only output to 720p, 1080p or 4K. This means that if a game renders at 1440p, it either scales it to 1080p, or to 4K, and then outputs that to your monitor. It can also scale >1080p outputs to 1080p using the supersampling option on the console.

The reason this matters is that lots of 1440p monitors will not accept a 4K signal, so you will run into situations where a game internally renders at, say, 1440p, but cannot be displayed at that resolution on a 1440p monitor. It will either get scaled up to 4K by the console and then squashed back down by the monitor (not ideal and few monitors support this) or scaled down to 1080p via the console and then stretched by the display to 1440p. This never looks particularly good. (And you lose even more detail if your 4K render is being scaled to 1080p and then stretched to 1440p).

Basically, it's not ideal in any situation. The new Xboxes will support 1440p natively, so they don't run into these issues.

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

She obviously never played Astro Bot: Rescue Mission.

Hide contents

I’m not really joking, I’m not sure how 3D audio and haptic triggers could make more of an impression than the PSVR Astro Bot.

I was in the same boat until I realized it's not just the triggers. It's the combination of triggers and a "4K Rumble". As down to earth as the Switch is, I definitely feel the absence of its HD Rumble in PS4 titles. The difference in, say, Hollow Knight is annoying at best. Having a, by all accounts, superior version to that for PS5 will be quite the thing if it allows for textures. Up until that point I was thinking Sony was merely copying Nintendo and Microsoft. Seems they've jumped ahead a bit instead. (I'm as shocked as you are.)

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!