PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Some extra details from Game Informer:

Camera options are in
4K/30fps is called Cinematic
Performance mode is "dynamic" 4K at 60fps
Old Monk fight remains unchanged
Loading times are insane, virtually no load times
Multiplayer is 6 people now
They did discuss doing the sixth Archstone - decided against it as they didn't feel it was their right
Fractured Mode is Mirror Mode
Photo Mode is in. Disabled if you're invaded
Boletaria was the most challenging to rebuild as well as Valley of Defilement

On haptics:

“I would say you should play the game with haptics because it can really make a big difference — [it’s] made the combat grittier and darker,” Moore said. “You really feel metal striking metal through your controller. It’s a triumvirate: audio, visual, and tactile all working together at the same time, and it makes a big difference to the gameplay. So when you do a parry, you feel it in your hands before you kind of visually see it, and it’s that split-second reaction time, it gives you that little edge that you need, that can actually make the game slightly easier than people think. Because you’re feeling the game world.”

Different filters:

“If you like the starkness and the despair of the original PlayStation 3 version, then we have a bunch of filters that you can choose from and play the game [that way],” Moore said. “So if you want to play the game in what we call the classic filter, which harkens back to the days of the PlayStation 3 and the look at that title, then put that filter on. If you want to play in black and white, play in the noir filter. It’s all there in the options. If you don’t want to play with our camera, you want to play with the original camera, turn the original camera back on. […] I would say with the filters though, if the fans could just play the game the way that we made it so you can see how we take advantage of the power of the PlayStation 5, then I would ask that they would do that. I’d be very grateful. Though after that, play the game how you like to play it, please.”

On grinding:

“You know, the grinding is part of Demon’s Souls,” he said when asked about the Pure Bladestone. “You can’t take that away. We will never do that. But yeah, we have improved drop rates. And we have added some extra items as well to make it more varied what’s dropped sometimes, and some of those items are really cool. So check them out.”

On World Tendency and bugs:

“The only thing we change about World Tendency is that we felt that it was difficult to understand what tendency you were in in the original,” Moore said. “So we’ve tried to improve the UI, so you can see which [World Tendency] state you’re in.”

Moore also confirmed that the game’s memorable Old Monk fight, in which a player is summoned to fight as the boss in another player’s game, will be as players remember it in the remake too.

One aspect of Demon’s Souls that will be addressed is its bugginess. Players could take advantage of the game’s unpolished state to cheaply attack certain bosses through the game’s fog doors — barriers that wall off rooms where boss fights happen. Players won’t be able to exploit those bugs in the remake, Moore says, but other, far less consequential, meme-worthy bugs and game design quirks will be properly retained.

Full interview:
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/interviews/2020/10/29/21539158/demons-souls-ps5-remake-changes-sixth-archstone-world-tendency?__twitter_impression=true

I can practically smell the next-gen coming off those screenshots!

tenor (1).gif

My only gripe with it is how the character runs up stairs. It's a complaint I have with a lot of third person games where stairs are treated like a slope rather than walked up properly.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh do fuck off mate. 

Calm down, I just thought I remembered the DF video saying it 4K@60fps.

EDIT: 

Early signs point to a robust 60fps showing from Bluepoint Games, with the game set to its performance mode throughout the trailer.

Just now, Thor said:

On a different note, it's looking like Dolby Vision is going to be non-existent on PS5. Gonna have to invest in a decent UHD player now. 

Bit annoying if true, has this been confirmed anywhere?

On sound in Demon's Souls:

We went out and found as many of the original cast as we could and got them to come back and perform their incredibly iconic roles again. Which was wonderful; it was really great. And we re-recorded all the new dialogue at the same time. I think for sound in general, sound is another area that can really add to the emotional experience, that same way that you can by putting details in maps to tell a story, sound does the same thing. And Demon's Souls is masterful with sound.

If you think about the way it works, like when you play the game it doesn't have any music. And it's done intentionally because music is an emotional crutch. It can make you happy. It can make you sad. It can change your feelings. And what was done in the original was say, "No music. It's just the environment." And you feel naked almost. You feel more vulnerable because there is no emotional friend playing in your ear. And then when you go into a boss battle, the music comes in and it feels like the music's making you go further and do better and succeed in the challenge. So it's an incredibly wonderful way to use audio.

So we've done the same thing. We've actually remade thousands upon thousands of new sound effects to add into our levels, and then using 3D audio on the PlayStation 5, that really comes to life. I mean, you can feel arrows go past your head. You can feel Imperial spies creep up behind you in the palace of Boletaria or creatures crawl out of the slime in the Valley of Defilement. It's an amazing soundscape now and it really adds to the fear, the trepidation, and the challenge of the whole experience.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/demons-souls-ps5-fractured-mode-respec-world-tendency-details/1100-6483887/

Bluepoint went all-out.

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

Xbox has the Dolby Access app that you can buy an Atmos license through. I’d be surprised if they don’t add a Vision license to that. 

But doesn't the user then have to pay for that?

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

But doesn't the user then have to pay for that?

Yeah, of course, but you'd be paying it anyway if they included it with all units - it's just built into the price of the unit. And £10 to add the functionality beats spending a couple hundred on a UHD player.

"Tempest" audio is probably closely linked to Sony not wanting to pay an Atmos license for every unit. Bit like MS giving you a choice of Sonic (free) or buying Atmos. The advantage with Xbox is your license for the latter works on all your MS devices (including W10 PCs).

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, of course, but you'd be paying it anyway if they included it with all units - it's just built into the price of the unit. And £10 to add the functionality beats spending a couple hundred on a UHD player.

"Tempest" audio is probably closely link Sony not wanting to pay an Atmos license for every unit.

Oh, I thought that was subscription, is it a one-off?

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh, I thought that was subscription, is it a one-off?

Yeah, it's a license fee. One off. £9.99 on Xbox, I think. has a 7 day free trial so you can see if you prefer it over Windows Sonic.

I have no interest in Demon Souls (nor the PS5 generally) but I tend to find the artstyle in first/second-party Sony games seem to just look better  (incredibly vague and subjective, of course) than for Xbox titles. It's not just this game, but things like TLoU 1&2, God of War etc.

I mean Xbox has some nice stuff too, but they never seem to be at the same level as PS exclusives.

15 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I have no interest in Demon Souls (nor the PS5 generally) but I tend to find the artstyle in first/second-party Sony games seem to just look better  (incredibly vague and subjective, of course) than for Xbox titles. It's not just this game, but things like TLoU 1&2, God of War etc.

I mean Xbox has some nice stuff too, but they never seem to be at the same level as PS exclusives.

I think it’s partly down to art style, partly down to scope and other design decisions, like prioritising frame rate. 

To my mind, GoW was the best looking game of last gen and Horizon was also up there, too. Despite being checkerboard 4K, they look incredible to me. 

But Gears 5 isn’t all that far behind despite being 60fps. Nor is Forza Horizon 4. 

30 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, it's a license fee. One off. £9.99 on Xbox, I think. has a 7 day free trial so you can see if you prefer it over Windows Sonic.

The same license also covers PC via Windows store

There is also dts headphone x. Same deal. Free trial on both 

2 hours ago, Quexex said:

I know someone here took one for the team, hopefully you've not been scammed as the PlateStation5 site is not accessible anymore :(

image.png.baf8f016fc9566539540745aeabc2d96.png

They’re still alive, just changed their name, likely after a C&D from Sony. Now called customizemyplates.com and are saying an extra 3-week delay and all sold out.

Amateur hour I feel, but I’ll keep the order for now.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!