PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

3 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

They didn't announce anything, did they? 

They put an embargo on preorders until 8am one Friday a few weeks ago. I think retailers have just been overselling preorders as usual, though.

13 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

They put an embargo on preorders until 8am one Friday a few weeks ago. I think retailers have just been overselling preorders as usual, though.

Buuuuuut Sony promised there would be no mad rush, loads of notice would be given and retailers would know how many to sell - Sony defi fucked up on this one too.

It is a shit show all round tho, how many of us have multiple pre orders in place due to issues like shops announcing a couple of weeks later you won’t be getting one after all?

16 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Are you sure the PSN didn’t just break again?

I do hope so. But everything else seems to work 'just fine'. Turning off blockers didn't do anything as well.

Some interesting new language when buying a game and when you lose the right to cancel a purchase, though.

21 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Does it actually come out and say “fuck you, it’s our money now”?

Something in Dutch along the lines of 'you agree that you can't cancel the purchase upon access', but to buy you need to click that you want access. So ehr... yeah.

[edit] Some friends apparently do have screenshots. But everything's still gone for me. Checking in Firefox just produces the old store. Seems everything is unstable at the very least.

On 20/10/2020 at 23:00, Seamonster said:

Which might explain why they're being a bit coy about quick resume functions? According to that DF article from yesterday the Series X uses 28W in standby with quick resume on, which I was a bit surprised by considering Sony got some negative press a few years ago for how much power the PS4 used in standby mode.

Seems like like as a result Sony may have prioritised low power consumption over standby functionality.

28W! Fuck, that's outrageous.  Half an old-fashioned lightbulb, for 24-7.  Say it sells only as well as the One (which has gotta be an underestimate), that's still 50 million consoles or 1.5GW of power just to boot a few seconds faster. Thats about 3 coal power stations doing nothing but speeding the boot of xbox ones! 

Compared 50m PS5s would require on 25MW, or 1/20, of one power station.

Wasn't that debunked?

As in the Xbox Series X that Digital Foundry measured is a pre-production one which was probably downloading game and OS updates when in standby.

I doubt the production one will be 28W.

2 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Wasn't that debunked?

As in the Xbox Series X that Digital Foundry measured is a pre-production one which was probably downloading game and OS updates when in standby.

I doubt the production one will be 28W.

I've no idea, but you've just gotta be right, I honestly cannot believe MS would ship a 28W standby out of the door. It's insanity.

4 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I've no idea, but you've just gotta be right, I honestly cannot believe MS would ship a 28W standby out of the door. It's insanity.

It’s not insanity. They’d not be able to sell it in Europe though: both consoles can use more in a hot standby downloading patches mode. They can’t use that much in a not downloading patches mode.

As I've got a pre-order elsewhere, if anyone is interested in having my preorder (for the £5 deposit I've already paid), just PM me. 

Edit: gone now

Edited by Stavi
Update
1 hour ago, Stavi said:

As I've got a pre-order elsewhere, if anyone is interested in having my preorder (for the £5 deposit I've already paid), just PM me. 

Me. Me. PM on the way!

Edit: Ignore me, I thought this was the Series X thread. LOL

37 minutes ago, Quexex said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-22-playstation-5-media-remote-revealed

Media remote and media apps details. Feels a little odd these days when most TVs do everything already...

The video streaming quality through my PS4 is immeasurably better than through my TV. It's really quite odd. I want to get a new TV alongside my new PS5, so I'll be interested to see how they stack up this time around.

2 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

The video streaming quality through my PS4 is immeasurably better than through my TV. It's really quite odd. I want to get a new TV alongside my new PS5, so I'll be interested to see how they stack up this time around.

I used to use my PS3 for this exact same reason, in fact I only stopped using my PS3 when the new TV arrived in April! Might do a test with the PS4 and see if it's in anyway better than the TVs native app, both are on a wired connection so should be the same. 

4 hours ago, Stavi said:

Just check it's 15 digits, my first one arrived around 4pm and it was 17 digits and kept getting rejected, i followed the instructions to get a new code and pretty instantly got a replacement which worked.

5 hours ago, Stavi said:

Is this still available?!?

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!