PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

4 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

one day someone is going to produce a great graph of what this means. I just cannot visualise what a cooling envelope means or, more specifically how a developers deals with it. What are the trade offs? Do less CPU work and you can make the GPU run faster?

A developer doesn't have to deal with it, because it's baked into the system. The CPU and GPU cannot to be made to run any faster than they do, because if they did it would either require more power draw, or require more cooling than the system can deliver.

But yes, the variable frequencies mean developers can see how their code runs on the system and adjust accordingly to give more resources to either the CPU or GPU, I believe.

Yeah, having read a bit more now because, why not, it seems to me it’s just a case of a different limit on the developer. Use too many of some operation types on one of the CPU or GPU and it will take more power. Which given there’s a budget means the other must have reduced power and may have to slow down.

Simples.

i didn’t really mean a developer having to do something in order to switch it but it’s an unstable system. Your code might behave predictably from one run to the next as written but if it’s dropping frames and I tweak something can I predict how the hardware will react? Changing one CPU system call for another might use less power and free up GPU headroom.

Interesting dynamics and I’m sure they’ll get some good tools available to see how it’s playing out and where the room is.

Be interesting to see actual developers (not Cerny and other agony peeps) talk about the pros and cons of this and the trade offs or opportunities it presents versus other systems.

Apparently one of their ideas for game by game fan profiling is that they could recognise parts of games where you won’t mind noise as much (a loading screen is the example given, I could see options menus being another) and let the fan run a bit faster so it can be quieter during the important bits.

Which seems a bit much.

I mind fan noise at all times.

And at high clocks temps rise almost instantly. Being high during menus or (the apparently non existent) loading will not let you keep the fan lower for even a 20 second moving in engine cut scene.

18 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Apparently one of their ideas for game by game fan profiling is that they could recognise parts of games where you won’t mind noise as much (a loading screen is the example given, I could see options menus being another) and let the fan run a bit faster so it can be quieter during the important bits.

Which seems a bit much.

Where did you read that? 

From the Ars article

That performance analysis will be based on data sent from a temperature sensor on the APU and three others mounted on the PS5's motherboard, according to the interview (the highest measured temperature will be used to determine the fan speed). 4Gamer surmises this aggregate data may be particularly useful "when a game with a high load continues for a long time, [making it] possible to increase the rotation amount of the fan and enhance the cooling performance even at the expense of quietness."

Nothing, literally nothing there even hints at why collected data is useful. Like holy shit they think they just invented a variable rate fan. Imagine that as load continues you may be able to increase the rotation amount (I’ll assume the mean RPM and not that they can do 760 degree rotations). Like every damn PC fan in almost forever does as temps go up.

I don’t say any of this to knock the console but my god Sony are terrible at discussing technical stuff.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Not to derail the thread further but I don't think it's an ARC issue, I've measured the same Dolby Digital lag on the built-in speakers on my 2017 LG LCD (just without the external device's own lag on top of it).

I did intend to plug all my devices straight into my LG B7 OLED and then run HDMI ARC to my amp but everything seem to suffer audio delays. Plugging them directly into the amp and then the amp to the TV sorted it though.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's a google translate of japanese, barely touched by a journalist and the speculation is by the website, not the Sony rep. I'm not sure you can read too much into it.

That’s fair. Reading the translation I think this is the case. I think there’s nothing more here than... we will collect data on PS5 temps to make sure we’re keeping it cool enough in all cases and can update the system to tune the fan curve if necessary. 

8 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

Yeah, that would soften the blow for sure.  I paid £3.5k for my 77" last August (from a rrp of £7k I think).  Costco are the ones to watch (I then got a price match from Crampton and Moore).

I will just say that 77" gaming can be a little too immersive / big depending on seating distance and game type.

Send it over, Rob. I'll suffer in silence. :D

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

I’ve got a Sony oled and an LG oled. Literally no difference in the picture between the two. Sound is better on the Sony though (don’t have a sound bar). 

And the UI is way better on the LG.

To be honest, after the shit I’ve had with my B7, I’ll be looking at other OLEDs when it’s time to upgrade.

No-one would particularly argue that the picture on the Sony or the LG was noticeably better or worse, I don't think. It's the input lag (or lack of it) on the LG that's made it the Only True Gamer OLED, not the picture quality.

1 minute ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I can only fit a 49" telly into my unit (oo-er). I can't find an LG OLED that small. Fuck you all. 

they’re doing a 48”

it’s the SAME PRICE as the 55”

19 minutes ago, JPL said:

And the UI is way better on the LG.

To be honest, after the shit I’ve had with my B7, I’ll be looking at other OLEDs when it’s time to upgrade.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

No-one would particularly argue that the picture on the Sony or the LG was noticeably better or worse, I don't think. It's the input lag (or lack of it) on the LG that's made it the Only True Gamer OLED, not the picture quality.

Given they all use LG panels it’s down to whether you want Panasonic’s more accurate colours, LG’s better UI and input lag or Sony’s....premium price higher input lag and terrible  UI really

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Given they all use LG panels it’s down to whether you want Panasonic’s more accurate colours, LG’s better UI and input lag or Sony’s....premium price higher input lag and terrible  UI really

I don’t know who I’m kidding really. I’ll no doubt go LG again and hope the newer panels are less susceptible to the problems I’ve had with mine.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!