PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

6 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Unless you are swapping games 10/20/30+ times a day, then you are saving such a trivial amount it's laughable. In your example there, you'd save, what, 3/4 minutes over the course of week?

I'm genuinely stunned that so many people in this thread are so eager for this to spare them the pain of waiting perhaps for a minute or so to change games. Amazing.

Have you even played a game?

Its not a minute or so to change a game as even if they loaded that quick (and they don’t on current gen machines) you are forgetting that you are not tied to finding a save point or quick saving, you can just swap a game in 6 seconds and pickup exactly where you left off - it’s literally game changing....

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

TBF Sony just said that the PS5 interface was created to ensure you can make the most out of your time playing.

And that's fine, but to the point of people in here saying that having to change between games puts them off swapping? Because of having to wait a minute or so? If your gaming time is so limited that perhaps a couple of extra minutes here or there a day would impact that then perhaps spending hundreds of pounds on a console isn't the best thing to be doing. I mean, I don't want to say it's 'entitlement' because it isn't really that - but spoilt, perhaps?

Disclaimer: I am in a bad mood today.

I definitely have no time

I hope you appreciate the time I put into this forum about a videogames console. The more time you save playing - the more time you have to post genuine concerns

36 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Have you even played a game?

Its not a minute or so to change a game as even if they loaded that quick (and they don’t on current gen machines) you are forgetting that you are not tied to finding a save point or quick saving, you can just swap a game in 6 seconds and pickup exactly where you left off - it’s literally game changing....

Yeah, even though game loading times will improve dramatically.  Borderlands 3 is still 3 minutes on current gen, a minute on this gen.  And 5 seconds to resume.

But in that minute you'll have to come back, hit start, log back into xbox live, a network task, select character. continue and then do the rest of the loading.

So it's 5 seconds completely hands free replaced by at least a minute of babysitting.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Because of having to wait a minute or so? If your gaming time is so limited that perhaps a couple of extra minutes here or there a day would impact that then perhaps spending hundreds of pounds on a console isn't the best thing to be doing.

This is incredibly presumptuous and wrong-headed. How on earth does 'some evenings I have limited time to game and want to get straight to the point rather than sit through loading screens' equate to 'maybe you shouldn't be spending hundreds of pounds on a console?'

Some evenings I finish work, cook a meal from scratch, go to the gym, do general housework/errands and suddenly before I know it it's 10pm and I might have an hour before I'm tired and want to go to bed. Is it really so hard to understand that I'd rather not waste several minutes booting another game up from scratch when I'm tired and have limited time? Especially something like Wasteland 3 which takes ages to get to the title screen and then ages to load your save game? Same goes for most large open-world games or RPGs really.

I honestly think the super quick loading of games and ability to switch between them quickly will be one of the biggest and most easily noticeable improvements we see this gen and going back to old consoles will feel utterly archaic by comparison.

6 hours ago, rgraves said:

Quick resume is "not any faster"?? Have you watched the videos - it's clearly faster than cold booting a game - especially if you factor in all the faf, screens, and menus required to get you back to exactly where you were. You go from nothing to *exactly* the point you were at in 5-10 seconds.

Activities is, AIUI, sort of similar, but potentially not as flexible - I mean, it'll get you to fixed points the developers have set (don't think you can create your own, can you?), but that's not a great deal different to checkpoints in current games - quick resume means you can just stop, anywhere, and pick back up anytime - exactly where you were, on multiple games. Not close, not at the start of the same level, exactly where you were (within reason, apart from online stuff, caveats apply, all rights reserved etc etc)

I have watched some videos of Quick Resume, hence my assessment. Destruction AllStars took around 8-9 seconds to cold boot, whereas some of the Quick Resume times I've observed are:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey – 9.5 seconds*.

Hitman 2 – 10 seconds**.

Titanfall 2 – 10 seconds**.

You might notice all of the above are backwards compatible titles, which will naturally use less RAM and thus are quicker to dump/load. I haven't come across figures for any 'native' XSX games, save for Yakuza: Like a Dragon which had the Quick Resume badge on its 13-second loading screen* but appeared to boot cold, so I'm guessing the resume failed; Ars Technica noted this was currently an issue for 'Optimised' titles.

Ultimately it isn't my intention to quibble over a few seconds either way as I don't think it's a meaningful difference in experience for 'one-time' loads during a play session, my point is that if Activities allow you to boot straight into your last save, or the specific mode you want, without needing to 'restore' anything then it has various benefits, such as: always works for any game, not just recently played ones; no risk of losing unsaved progress, should a game be silently pushed out of the QR queue; the game will be pre-patched when you load it, etc.

This isn't me saying Quick Resume is a bad feature for the Xbox, I just think it's somewhat of a redundant one for the PS5 given the direction of its UI; they're two solutions to the same problem.

Obviously time will tell with a lot of this stuff. For example, I'm expecting games to get better about ditching/moving the pre-roll logos as the generation goes on to make deep-linking more seamless, but perhaps licensers will be too annoyed that millions of gamers aren't tapping their feet/buttons waiting for meaningless middleware to scroll by.

*Game Informer

**Jeffrey Grubb

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

I hope you appreciate the time I put into this forum about a videogames console. The more time you save playing - the more time you have to post genuine concerns

I think it's really that while you're waiting for games to load, that gives you forum browsing time in which you can post about how "the features that aren't in my console of choice" are rubbish.

At the moment, on PC, I'm playing Hades, Divinity Original Sin 2 and Flight Sim. Flight Sim takes three minutes to load, whereas the other two take about 15 seconds - though both require me to tediously click through menus to get back in the game to where I last chose to quicksave.

Guess which one I'm playing more often?

Getting back into the "select level" screen of Geometry Wars 2 while cutting out the three screens of preroll is actually quite an attractive prospect. If I was just playing one giant game all the time, it'd be less so.

[slay the spire, ios - 12 seconds to menu. drop seven, ios - 5 seconds to menu]

Kinda wish the whole UI was like the black / gold start up screen throughout:

image.thumb.jpeg.e13bbf77dd491515ca247eef8d6395a2.jpeg

Just give me that, with the wee  sparkly bits gently floating about behind some nice crisp thumbnails arranged in a row that show me my games and apps. Get all the social media noise and game-specific splash screen wallpaper bollocks to fuck.

1 minute ago, Majora said:

This is incredibly presumptuous and wrong-headed. How on earth does 'some evenings I have limited time to game and want to get straight to the point' equate to 'maybe you shouldn't be spending hundreds of pounds on a console?'

Some evenings I finish work, cook a meal from scratch, go to the gym, do general housework/errands and suddenly before I know it it's 10pm and I might have an hour before I'm tired and want to go to bed. Is it really so hard to understand that I'd rather not waste several minutes booting another game up from scratch when I'm tired and have limited time? Especially something like Wasteland 3 which takes ages to get to the title screen and that ages to load your save game? Same goes for most large open-world games or RPGs really.

I honestly think the super quick loading of games and ability to switch between them quickly will be one of the biggest and noticeable improvements we see this gen and going back to old consoles will feel utterly archaic by comparison.

Absolutely, I've found resume on current gen to be a god send in these circumstances - however I usually play just one game at a time, maybe two. Anything that increase my game time and reduces my wait time fantastic and not to be underestimated. This is the main reason I game on console, PC maintenances is just a faff I find as a barrier between me and the game time. I know it's a lot better now than it used to be but it's still not,  as easy as say press button on controller, turn on TV, resume game where you left off. 

I think the thing I liked most from the 'cards' in the UI reveal was the time alotted to each 'mission' knowing up front you are n mins from completion is brilliant. Hopefully devs will use theses systems well. However given the effort it took to get live tiles to do anything meaningful on PS4 I'd suggest only first party titles will make the most of it. 

3 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Destruction AllStars took around 8-9 seconds to cold boot, whereas some of the Quick Resume times I've observed are:

Isn't that the game they then had to speed up the video to get to where they wanted to be via all the menus etc? In which case, 8-9 seconds is not really apples to apples is it....

I get what you're saying, and yes it's not a great deal of time lost in the grand scheme - but for me it's less about time lost and more about "oh, I can pop on the console and get going from exactly where I was in 10 seconds. I've not got to get back to the point in the level I was at, repeat some intros/cutscenes etc etc - I just get on getting on. I love that on Switch, so being able to do it across multiple titles (say having Dragon Quest XI on the go, and then also a few smaller titles alongside) will be great.

Just now, Uncle Mike said:

AllStars is an online game - any resume on it would kick you back to a menu anyway. Why they didn't pick a different example, I don't know.

Yeah, but even the lobby menu would do - they went right back to the main title screen for some crazy reason....

Because they cold booted it. I guess I'm saying that the sped-up bit was just the bit you'd have had to do even with a resume, because they decided to do an online combat arena game. If they'd switched from Sackboy to Miles Morales on a cold boot, maybe you'd have had a fairer way to see what not having resume does to the switch. Perhaps that's why they didn't!

So, what next, teardown-done, BC compat list-done, UI-done. Personally I'd like to see some of those Boost Mode PS4 games running on PS5 so we can see what options we have a side from the already announced Ghost of Tsushima PS5 update. 60fps 4K GoW would be amazing :)

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

Because they cold booted it. I guess I'm saying that the sped-up bit was just the bit you'd have had to do even with a resume, because they decided to do an online combat arena game. If they'd switched from Sackboy to Miles Morales on a cold boot, maybe you'd have had a fairer way to see what not having resume does to the switch. Perhaps that's why they didn't!

Maybe there's a 'card' to go straight to key areas, this is probably the 'deep linking' stuff we've heard about. Now if you can 'deep link' to your save progress then there's no reason that you couldn't use that instead of some advanced resume functionality. Ultimately you are filling RAM with data from the SSD, so quick resume and deep linking should be the same speed, which could be the approach Sony's gone with as it takes up nearly zero space on the HDD, but will only really work for PS5 titles. 

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Because of having to wait a minute or so? If your gaming time is so limited that perhaps a couple of extra minutes here or there a day would impact that then perhaps spending hundreds of pounds on a console isn't the best thing to be doing.

lol wtf mate. Get a grip.

Sometimes I have plenty of time to play a game. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'm shattered and don't want to sit on the couch staring at a loading screen. Other times I'm not shattered, but I still don't want to sit on the couch staring at a loading screen.

When your argument starts moving onto telling others how to spend their money, you know you're onto a loser.

13 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Because they cold booted it. I guess I'm saying that the sped-up bit was just the bit you'd have had to do even with a resume

But you don't have to do all of that with resume - we've seen online quick resume games on X just go back to the lobby/level select, not all the way back out to the main menu. It was a really odd thing to demo on a lot of levels.

14 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I guess the two reasons they haven't is

1. They're just not very good at highlighting the incredible speed of their SSD that they've been talking about for months

2. The SSD is fast but not fast enough to show massive differences when simply resuming and they'd rather leave an aspirational type idea in consumers heads.

Given we've seen how good Sony are at marketing stuff over the years I find it hard to believe it's option 1.  We're seeing carefully crafted videos hiding some stuff and emphasising others.   And yes. MS will be doing similar.

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

I guess the two reasons they haven't is

1. They're just not very good at highlighting the incredible speed of their SSD that they've been talking about for months

2. The SSD is fast but not fast enough to show massive differences when simply resuming and they'd rather leave an aspirational type idea in consumers heads.

Given we've seen how good Sony are at marketing stuff over the years I find it hard to believe it's option 1.  We're seeing carefully crafted videos hiding some stuff and emphasising others.   And yes. MS will be doing similar.

Reason 3 neither the game or the OS is fully finalised yet. One or both is possible. 

Just now, Quexex said:

Reason 3 neither the game or the OS is fully finalised yet. One or both is possible. 

Possible, but I would expect a Sony authored video to have a relatively upto date OS. Certainly more up to date than anything on kit they'd send to youtubers.

We're just over 3 weeks away from launch.   I can imagine bug fixes going in late. Not much else though this late!

2 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Possible, but I would expect a Sony authored video to have a relatively upto date OS. Certainly more up to date than anything on kit they'd send to youtubers.

We're just over 3 weeks away from launch.   I can imagine bug fixes going in late. Not much else though this late!

They literally said that the OS in the video wasn't up to date, could change and "may have some wrinkles" right at the start. 

Also, are people forgetting the state of the Xbox One OS on launch? Where the engineers took bets on it even working in time?

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

They literally said that the OS in the video wasn't up to date, could change and "may have some wrinkles" right at the start. 

Also, are people forgetting the state of the Xbox One OS on launch? Where the engineers took bets on it even working in time?

Ah in that case fair enough.   Roll on launch day and first impression from rllmukers.

2 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Ah in that case fair enough.   Roll on launch day and first impression from rllmukers.

We may get lucky and get the D1 patch the US got and then the D1 patch with further fixes for the rest of the world :) 

Like someone else said earlier. There will be features that can be brought in later. But it'll depend on how important Sony feel they are.   I always hoped autosync saves on non primary PS4's would make it in one day but clearly not enough people were clamouring for it for it to be a priority. Fingers crossed PS5 has it.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!