PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

9 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

In theory games will be output up to 4K@120

I think COD: Cold War has confirmed this already (although with some possible upscalinggizmowatzits going on)...

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/call_of_duty_black_ops_cold_war_is_4k_120_frames-per-second_on_ps5

Yeah, I think they’ve even confirmed that some titles will be 1440p upscaled (eg Demon’s Souls), but I was just wondering if the PS5 itself has an output display setting of 1440p and 120hz.

The One X, Series S and Series X all have this, so it would be a nice to have for anyone planning to play on a 1440p monitor, otherwise I’m assuming it would just be stuck at 1080p.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Maybe that’s just it. You’ve built up that habit due to game switching being a bit clunky so far. I’m generally the same. One big single player game, one indie and one multiplayer, but since I’ve started using Gamepass, my habits are slowly changing, so I’m keen to try it out.

Yeah, maybe. I'm certainly open to it and the ability break out to something else really quickly and easily certainly isn't something I'd say no to. I'm just not sure how often I'd actually use it for more than 3 games at a time personally.

I think for me it's often about focus as much as the clunkiness as I tend to get absorbed into something and then just play that till I'm done. If anything for me Game Pass has been perfect for stacking up a sequence of really great little experiences to enjoy one after the other rather than at the same time (e.g. I did Tacoma and The Gardens Between back to back this week).

I accept it could well be different for the wider gaming market though. I can imagine if you are a teenager and your groups of mates play COD, Fifa, Fortnite, etc... and you've got your own single player stuff on the go then being able to whip around various experiences with your parties would be good.

2 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Yeah, I think they’ve even confirmed that some titles will be 1440p upscaled (eg Demon’s Souls), but I was just wondering if the PS5 itself has an output display setting of 1440p and 120hz.

The One X, Series S and Series X all have this, so it would be a nice to have for anyone planning to play on a 1440p monitor, otherwise I’m assuming it would just be stuck at 1080p.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood you and thought you were referring to upper limits. No, I've not idea if they have a 1440p mode specifically I'm afraid.

I don't use the suspend feature on either the XBox One or PS4. I always power them down completely so don't use resume at all.

Since most of my games are on disc rather than digital download then that would make it fairly unworkable for me.

I also don't leave the discs in the drive when the machine is powered off either.

1 minute ago, AceGrace said:

I don't use the suspend feature on either the XBox One or PS4. I always power them down completely so don't use resume at all.

But it works from a cold boot as well on the Series X.

Oh OK. I didn't know that.

Still it is of no real interest for me. I only ever have one game on the go at a time and the disc issue means that it is unworkable really.

With the speed of the SSD's, it will make cold booting a game easier to bear.

For me, the way the Xbox handles updates is ludicrous. It mystifies me that they couldn't come up with a better, faster way to do it.

Just now, AceGrace said:

For me, the way the Xbox handles updates is ludicrous. It mystifies me that they couldn't come up with a better, faster way to do it.

Its almost invisible, if you leave it in standby - only the odd game needs you to manually kick off the update. 

I’ve never tried the suspend feature on PS4, is this when you put it to sleep? With the orange strip on the top of the box flashing like a runway marker for an airplane?

I assume the Switch sleep mode works so well because the battery power keeps everything ticking over so it’s ready to go in an instant. 

10 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Oh OK. I didn't know that.

Still it is of no real interest for me. I only ever have one game on the go at a time and the disc issue means that it is unworkable really.

With the speed of the SSD's, it will make cold booting a game easier to bear.

Discs are just a key for the game which will be downloaded to the hard drive. Don’t quote me on this, but I’m sure popping the disc back in once you’ve booted up the console will allow you to quick resume from wherever you were.

How come you fully power down and take the discs out anyway? It seems like convenience is the last thing on your mind anyway!

50 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Out of interest, how many games do you all have "on the go" at any one time that you would realistically want to quick resume between? 

When I'm looking for something new on Game Pass, usually about 3 or 4 on the go that I'm dipping in and out of. Not having to deal with menus and loading is likely to make me more likely to switch between them.

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

Absolutely, you are looking at a minimum of 14GB per state (depending on the OS memory footprint) so 5 could easily eat up 70GB in a worst case scenario obviously it may take less if some of those games are not filling all the RAM.

Yep. I think the Xbox seems to have a pool of storage to use dynamically, rather than a fixed limit of games. Kevin Kenson said he managed to keep 10 games in quick resume, but given the 360 only had 512mb RAM and Xbox had 64MB, this isn't surprising. I think with Xbox One and Series X games, the limit is about 5.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

Discs are just a key for the game which will be downloaded to the hard drive. Don’t quote me on this, but I’m sure popping the disc back in once you’ve booted up the console will allow you to quick resume from wherever you were.

How come you fully power down and take the discs out anyway? It seems like convenience is the last thing on your mind anyway!

One is turning things off to save power

Secondly, to avoid problems that can arise from Resume (that used to happen)

Thirdly, I'm a luddite! :D

44 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I’ve never tried the suspend feature on PS4, is this when you put it to sleep? With the orange strip on the top of the box flashing like a runway marker for an airplane?

I assume the Switch sleep mode works so well because the battery power keeps everything ticking over so it’s ready to go in an instant. 

Yeah, you just put it in rest mode, the orange light flashes for a few seconds and then goes solid orange to indicate rest mode is on (and it can charge controllers, update games, etc...). Then when you resume it starts basically straight away in the game where you left off. It works really well.

It's essentially the same as the Xbox version but - for me - with less issues. It's probably dev/title dependant but I've had several Xbox games freeze on resume, or just randomly bump me back to the game menu or home screen and require a save reload or cold boot to get going again. Subnautica was a prime example, I'd say resume on that worked about 50% of the time, and when it didn't I was back to waiting 4 minutes to load the game state back in again. Very annoying. PS4 has had way less issues in that regard (recently - everything was clunky to begin with).

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Out of interest, how many games do you all have "on the go" at any one time that you would realistically want to quick resume between? 

Very often I am only playing one big single player game at a time but there are times when I'm playing several at once and I'd definitely be more likely to switch between them if I didn't need to sit through the cold boot every time.

For example I'm playing Wasteland 3 at the moment which is a very long RPG and I'm playing 2 episodic games at the same time to break it up - Kentucky Route Zero and Tell Me Why. So I play Wasteland 3 for quite a while, then after a few days I might play a 2 hour episode of Kentucky Route Zero, then back to Wasteland 3 for a few days, then a 2 hour episode of Tell Me Why etc. But sometimes I boot up my console and just play more Wasteland 3 because that's what is usually suspended and I can't be arsed loading up another game when I only have a short amount of time to play. If I could switch instantly between all 3 it would save so much time not having to keep loading each game from scratch.

I imagine the benefit is even greater if you regularly switch between multiplayer titles.

3 minutes ago, Majora said:

I imagine the benefit is even greater if you regularly switch between multiplayer titles.

Does this work on the XsX, not sure yo'd be able to be anywhere other than the pre lobby menus with quick resume ... I think it doesn't work for online titles like Destiny 2 etc, but could be wrong.

1 minute ago, Quexex said:

Does this work on the XsX, not sure yo'd be able to be anywhere other than the pre lobby menus with quick resume ... I think it doesn't work for online titles like Destiny 2 etc, but could be wrong.

Of course you’re right :) quick resume, oh no network connection, kick to lobby.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

None. I turned that feature off on the PS4 because it caused problems in some games. I can't believe there are pages in this thread dedicated to it.  

Like most things on the PS4 it was a broken mess, a working system is something I think will be amazing - I love it on the switch (even if that’s just a glorified pause) and wish it could handle more games at once as currently I’m flicking between Ori, Mario odyssey, Mario 3D collection, animal crossing and about to pick up Hades!

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

It does 4K120. But it probably only does 480p, 720p, 1080p, 4K as the resolutions given Sony’s previous decisions. So if your monitor doesn’t take a 4K signal then you’d get 1080p at best.

I think it will as 1440p 120hz is the realistic resolution for 120hz performance options this gen - if not on launch it will be in a FW update, I’d be surprised if not there for launch as Xbox has it.

56 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Since most of my games are on disc rather than digital download then that would make it fairly unworkable for me.

I also don't leave the discs in the drive when the machine is powered off either.

Powered off and disc quick resume confirmed to work on series X even between accounts to some extent.

I don’t doubt that lots of games will run internally at 1440p, but Sony have always based the actual scaled video output options for their consoles on the video standards, even back to the PS3.

Basically don’t expect to have a “1440p” video output option if you have a 1440p monitor.

Edit - It’s important to distinguish the internal resolution of the game and the output resolution of the console’s scaler. PS5 games will be rendering internally at the same resolution whether the console is set to 480p, 4K, or anything in between.

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t doubt that lots of games will run internally at 1440p, but Sony have always based the actual scaled video output options on their consoles on the video standards, even back to the PS3.

Basically don’t expect to have a “1440p” video output option if you have a 1440p monitor.

Pretty sure they patched in 1440p/120 on the VRR updates for their tellies tho

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Pretty sure they patched in 1440p/120 on the VRR updates for their tellies tho

Sony’s TV have always supported a lot of kooky display display modes, most TVs have to in order to accommodate things like PCs. They’ve traditionally stuck to standard output resolutions though. (I don’t think their UHD BR players do 1440p for example.)

1 hour ago, Thor said:

HDMI 2.0 doesn't support VRR though... or have I got that wrong.

No but a lot of displays (not Sony though, at least not the XH90 that just got a 2.1 firmware update) support freesync. I’m really hoping Sony support freesync but then not even having it in their flagship PS5 tv leaves me with little confidence.

Its already confirmed the Xbox will do 120fps at 1440p on HDMI 2.0 devices.

These details I would like to see from Sony but your not exactly going to tell people what your new console can’t do, or rather won’t do.

2 hours ago, Majora said:

Very often I am only playing one big single player game at a time but there are times when I'm playing several at once and I'd definitely be more likely to switch between them if I didn't need to sit through the cold boot every time.

For example I'm playing Wasteland 3 at the moment which is a very long RPG and I'm playing 2 episodic games at the same time to break it up - Kentucky Route Zero and Tell Me Why. So I play Wasteland 3 for quite a while, then after a few days I might play a 2 hour episode of Kentucky Route Zero, then back to Wasteland 3 for a few days, then a 2 hour episode of Tell Me Why etc. But sometimes I boot up my console and just play more Wasteland 3 because that's what is usually suspended and I can't be arsed loading up another game when I only have a short amount of time to play. If I could switch instantly between all 3 it would save so much time not having to keep loading each game from scratch.

Unless you are swapping games 10/20/30+ times a day, then you are saving such a trivial amount it's laughable. In your example there, you'd save, what, 3/4 minutes over the course of week?

I'm genuinely stunned that so many people in this thread are so eager for this to spare them the pain of waiting perhaps for a minute or so to change games. Amazing.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!