PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

3 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

He quick resumed in Sackboy at the start. Also:

GameS!

I think that could be referring to your games in general. The Xbox quick resume works even if you completely power down the console, because the quick resume state is saved to SSD, rather than just held in RAM (requiring constant power). If quick resume only works in rest mode on PS5, it suggests it's just being held in RAM.

1 hour ago, wretcherd said:

They saw the UI ahead of time, how much were they paid etc.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-a-first-look-at-the-ps5-user-interface

eurogamer? More like Sonymoneyclaimer...

All the in game help stuff could be cool esp for Fortnite challenges but will it be implemented outside a few games, I mean all that game help stuff was claimed for PS4 and never really happened.

The UI looks snappy and more like the PSN store than the PS4 UI - it’s a bit busy and they seem to  suggest its gonna look messed on a 1080p screen given the 4k 4k 4k mentions.

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think that could be referring to your games in general. The Xbox quick resume works even if you completely power down the console, because the quick resume state is saved to SSD, rather than just held in RAM (requiring constant power). If quick resume only works in rest mode on PS5, it suggests it's just being held in RAM.

But if it is multiple games, there wouldn't be room for them all in RAM, so maybe it is the same as XBox.

Just now, SozzlyJoe said:

But if it is multiple games, there wouldn't be room for them all in RAM, so maybe it is the same as XBox.

Yeah, I wasn't very clear, but that's what I mean. If it's multiple games, it should work in both rest mode and when fully off.

25 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

That could still happen when you power off - they don’t show you what it says when you select the power off option.

It’s very different isn’t it. Almost uncomfortable to look at until I train my eyes to get to the info I need.

Love the Picture in Picture stuff. I doubt developers will use the trophy video thing though. 

I just want it!

58 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

He quick resumed in Sackboy at the start. Also:

GameS!

Congratulations on spotting that. Like I said, the stream I watched was, for some reason, 360p so it was difficult to see anything other than colours and shapes. 

Hmmm, I'm not so convinced that message really means multiple games can be flipped between without a full reload. For one, they';=re not going to put multiple games in RAM, that would simply reduce the RAM each game could use. Crazy. And therefore if they dumped it to the drive why would you not be able to power off the system to resume again?

See Twitter has PS5Ui trending. And my YouTube is saturated with the thirsty client journalism of unembargoed Xbox ‘final previews’. Who got the marketing right? Probably both.

31 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Game have emailed to say Mile Morales will be delivered on the 12th. 

They've emailed me saying that accessories will be shipped separately. Then tell me they're sending mine with the console for the 19th anyway. Guess I know my order is secure, I suppose.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

It would be weird for the console to have multiple games in actual RAM under any circumstances.

Quick Resume writes the RAM for each game to the NVME SSD. So when power shuts down, it will still be there. When you quick resume, this data is written back from the NVME SSD into the RAM which takes X seconds depending on how much RAM the game is actively using when you freeze it.

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Pretty much all the features we've had on Xbox for years.

Pretty much.

I personally don't think this UI is an improvement. Some of the features are nice but the execution is quite poor. Information overload everywhere you look and I am personally not fond of "cards" since they are basically the virus that is social media shoving all kinds of unwanted information in your face at all times. Microsoft is guilty as well but Sony turned it up to 11 in the PS5 interface. The whole interface lacks "focus" (as where to focus attention) as well as a resting point.

They could have switched back to suspended Sackboy after playing Destruction if they have multiple resumes. Feels like this card system is their version of it.

If it means less SSD space reserved for the system then I can wait the extra 3 seconds.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released
8 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Pretty much.

I personally don't think this UI is an improvement. Some of the features are nice but the execution is quite poor. Information overload everywhere you look and I am personally not fond of "cards" since they are basically the virus that is social media shoving all kinds of unwanted information in your face at all times. Microsoft is guilty as well but Sony turned it up to 11 in the PS5 interface. The whole interface lacks "focus" (as where to focus attention) as well as a resting point.

Yeah, it just looks like a load of noise that doesn't interest me in the slightest. It will be used for switching on and booting games - the rest is annoying fluff that probably requires constant updates.

3 minutes ago, Steven said:

Yeah, it just looks like a load of noise that doesn't interest me in the slightest. It will be used for switching on and booting games - the rest is annoying fluff that probably requires constant updates.

That's another problem... try using an Apple TV, Xbox or any other device on a slower internet connection... the whole interface starts lagging which I consider bad design. The interface should always be responsive and speedy regardless of the connection speed at any given moment.

It looks a bit of a mess.

I’m sure the functionality is probably quite impressive from a technical standpoint, but they appear to have sacrificed simplicity to the God of social media. I am literally never going to want to pin to my screen a video of what a friend playing while I am playing something else. Never. This is minority interest stuff that is getting in the way of having a nice interface. I hope you can turn most of this shit off. 

Also, the video confirmed my worst expectation that Sackboy looks like a poor mans Yoshi’s Crafted World.

19 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

That's another problem... try using an Apple TV, Xbox or any other device on a slower internet connection... the whole interface starts lagging which I consider bad design. The interface should always be responsive and speedy regardless of the connection speed at any given moment.

DF addressed this.. they said most of that stuff is cached so it flashes up super quick, particularly compared to the PS4 equivalents that had to load in media 

28 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

That's another problem... try using an Apple TV, Xbox or any other device on a slower internet connection... the whole interface starts lagging which I consider bad design.

Arg, memories of the 360's third menu revision. An ocean of spinning circles.

So there is no quick resume thing on ps5 I take it or he would have just switched to it all ready on the title screen, instead it loaded up fresh with splash cards. Either a miss opportunity or it just doesn’t exist.

im not that bothered about it, just a software update away (probably hard to program but...)

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!