PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Was hoping the deep linking stuff would mean that when you join a friends multiplayer game you just go straight into their game, seems disappointing that it launches the game but only to the games front screen. You then need to faff around joining their game - a process that took so long they had to speed up the video considerably.

It wasn't clear from the video how you switch from the game hub to the normal home screen. Is it the playstation button?

Also, I hope all games don't show you all the levels coming up. Hopefully that was just Sackboy.

I also would like to be able to turn hints and trophys off. I can't be doing with that stuff.

Other than that, it looks really nice.

I'm not a particularly big fan. In terms of screen estate I feel like they're prioritising stuff I will never or rarely use like a billion activity cards while shoving the stuff I want to see clearly like game icons or system menu icons in a tiny row at the top/bottom of each screen.

Not sold on the deep links from that video yet either. The Sackboy one loaded quickly but the game was already in progress when they chose a link. The Destruction Allstars one, where the game was not already running, looked really underwhelming and barely distinguishable from a standard cold boot.

Agree with @Quest not interested in any of the activities stuff but I liked the share game thing in the message where I could connect to the other player to watch them play.

Keep it simple & clean that will do for me.

12 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Was hoping the deep linking stuff would mean that when you join a friends multiplayer game you just go straight into their game, seems disappointing that it launches the game but only to the games front screen. You then need to faff around joining their game - a process that took so long they had to speed up the video considerably.

Yeah I thought it was pretty funny that he sat through a splash screen and a load of menus.

“And just like that, we’re in.”

16 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

That bit super confused me, because at least with the PS4 TRCs the behaviour they showed was a flat out certification fail. Accepting an invite or joining on a friend should take you directly into the same session (with a minimum of button presses/menu screens), not place you on the menu. :quote:

17 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I think you could do that with CoD4 and MW2 on the Xbox 360, but I'm not sure if that's rose-tinted glasses and it was actually a little less elegant than I recall.

It looks like they really tidied up the PS4 dash while adding some interesting new features. And if that thing about being able to join someone else’s multiplayer game from their activity screen in eight seconds is accurate, then it’s as fast as Xbox’s save states - without the ability to save anywhere, of course.

The reason why digital foundry prefers the Xbox Series X, because from a hardware point of view, Microsoft have learnt their lesson regarding the Xbox One launch.

The Xbox One launched as a slower platform with a higher price, with little focus on actual games, and was targeting itself as an all-in-one media device, with tv control and all that gubbins. This time, they are front and centre launcher a console that is FASTER and CHEAPER. I think Sony took the hit, price wise, to stay in the game.

The problem with the XBox Series isn't the hardware, though. Its the fact that early adopters want the shinies, and there isn't a single launch game worth owning. I think this is going to be a close race this generation, which is better for everyone.

The PiP screen sharing could be really cool for online co-op.  I wonder if both players can share their gameplay to one another simultaneously?

I also really like the hint system, if only because it means I won't have to do a search on my phone, skim through pages of 15 minute videos with obnoxious intros trying to find the five seconds of footage I actually want to see.

47 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

seems disappointing that it launches the game but only to the games front screen. You then need to faff around joining their game...

At that bit in the video, it looks like they have joined them, the party is across the bottom of the screen.

50 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

36 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah I thought it was pretty funny that he sat through a splash screen and a load of menus.

“And just like that, we’re in.”

33 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

That bit super confused me, because at least with the PS4 TRCs the behaviour they showed was a flat out certification fail. Accepting an invite or joining on a friend should take you directly into the same session (with a minimum of button presses/menu screens), not place you on the menu. :quote:

His "friends" were in a party in the menu, they weren't already in a match. So when he accepted the invite he just joined them in the lobby exactly how it works now in a lot of games. 

I'm pretty sure if they were in a match it would have loaded into the match but what is the chances of their being a space in an online MP game if it has already started anyway.

1 minute ago, BarryL85 said:

His "friends" were in a party in the menu, they weren't already in a match. So when he accepted the invite he just joined them in the lobby exactly how it works now in a lot of games. 

Yes, watching it again I think you're right - seems an odd way to demonstrate how fast and slick the new OS is though.

26 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Is the PS5 not doing a "quick resume" equivalent, then? Regardless of which it looked very nice, even if the Gamespot vid I saw of it was in 360p for some reason.

He quick resumed in Sackboy at the start. Also:

GameS!

Thought that was excellent. Speed of loading and switching between games looked super fast. Like the idea of cards. The way the parties works looks interesting - I've not booted the PS4 since this week's overhaul so I presume it's replicated there.

Splitting media and game OH THANK GOD. Integrated store OH THANK GOD (especially as I have gone digital).

As someone who can barely abide the Xbone UI, them sticking broadly with PS4 themes while overhauling it and adding functionality has made me very happy.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!