PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Beginning to doubt whether the Xbox Series X is actually RDNA2, no games with Ray tracing at launch, yet the not most powerful console is launching with an open world Spider-Man game that looks better than anything the Series X will have on it for at least 5 years and it has ray tracing. 

The concern is real.

8286.jpg

21 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Beginning to doubt whether the Xbox Series X is actually RDNA2, no games with Ray tracing at launch, yet the not most powerful console is launching with an open world Spider-Man game that looks better than anything the Series X will have on it for at least 5 years and it has ray tracing. 

The concern is real.

8286.jpg

State of this.

Apologies if this has been asked already:

I'm going to sell my PS4 Pro now, while it's still worth something. Is there any way I can download my backwards compatible game saves onto a USB drive, or similar, so I can upload them to my PS5 when I eventually get one? Or do I have to be a member of PS+ both now and when I want to upload them to the new console, so that I can access cloud saves?

16 hours ago, gooner4life said:

And water is wet, there's no restriction on what drive you can run a PS4 game off of, only a fucking idiot is putting an NVME in the PS5 to use for PS4 games and only an idiot would use one for PS4 games full stop, they arent designed to take advantage of the faster IO and you can buy much cheaper external drives.

This seems unnecessarily harsh, given he was trying to be helpful.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Apologies if this has been asked already:

I'm going to sell my PS4 Pro now, while it's still worth something. Is there any way I can download my backwards compatible game saves onto a USB drive, or similar, so I can upload them to my PS5 when I eventually get one? Or do I have to be a member of PS+ both now and when I want to upload them to the new console, so that I can access cloud saves?

You can back up your PS4 saves onto a suitably formatted USB drive, and I assume you'll be able to copy them onto the PS5 just as you can another PS4 now. Alternatively you will need an active PSN membership now and when you get a PS5 in order to transfer them via cloud saves.

1 minute ago, Steven said:

Not really seeing much that screams next gen me. Looks alright.

Yeah a crossgen game is always going to struggle - it was already a great looking game short of RT and better shadows. Obviously when we see side by side comparisons the difference may become more apparent. 

5 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Yeah a crossgen game is always going to struggle - it was already a great looking game short of RT and better shadows. Obviously when we see side by side comparisons the difference may become more apparent. 

I'm sure it will look better in the flesh, but I'm thinking a lot of these screenshots being shown are from cut-scenes.

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

This seems unnecessarily harsh, given he was trying to be helpful.

There's no such thing as unnecessarily harsh on the battlefield of the console war. Tiresome? Yes. But too harsh? Not when there's a war to be won, soldier. 

And didn't look terrible. I mean serious, is that fight actually meant to look impressive? It's erm, dull. Lots of flat desolate space in the gameplay section.

miles.thumb.jpg.7b59cba1458c4a7d8e7459b5e49a42ff.jpg

I mean, erm, there's some cracks in the floor. And some textures on things. But I guess I just expect next gen to have piles of trash blowing in the wind or gathered into corners, realistically moving around. Or all that snow/ice or whatever on the floor to be something more. For it to move around as the characters step and roll in  it.

7 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

It would help if we weren't shown next gen games in 720p.

The original video was shown in 4k - not sure why it was reuploaded by some random channel in 720p.

2 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Why does the actual fight/gameplay suddenly switch to a totally different location than the cut scene?

There are a few cuts in the gameplay section so I'm guessing it's a multistage boss fight and you end up chasing him around part of the city. 

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

Why does the actual fight/gameplay suddenly switch to a totally different location than the cut scene?

There's probably a whole sequence of events they didn't want to show that pushes aside Parker-Spiderman so it's just Miles vs the Rhino.

As nice as Spiderman looks its weird that is being bandied about as the "um is this really next gen?" when it is a PS4 game also. Launch games will always have teething issues given how long before hardware launch they would have started dev in comparison to a few years in - but this is clearly a better demonstration regardless of whether you have interest in the franchise or not (obligatory don't forget to select 4k 60)

7 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

I've just noticed on ShopTo that my preorder for Ratchet and Clank on PS5 has changed to be available on 12th November.

I've sent a message to them to see if it is confirmed or a mistake.

Games and accessories are shipping on the US launch date, so we can stare at them and ugly cry while American influencers flood the web with crap videos.

2 hours ago, Pug said:

Just had an iOS update for the PS Remote Play app to add the ability to connect to the PS5 for remote play.

Same on Android. Hopefully PS5 will support higher resolution, higher frame rate streaming out the box, being stuck in launch PS4 720p30 land is no fun.

Update- 1080p on PS5, no frame rate controls so it's presumably 60fps, has an HDR option so games might actually look better on my phone than on my TV...

And the PC app has also been updated, same options too.

23 hours ago, Pug said:

Think I'll go with that Crucial BX500 but 1TB.

I've decided I'll get the official expansion card for the Xbox when back available so use this for the Xbox until then and then use it on the PS5 to replace the ext.HDD I'll be using on that.

* wrong thread **

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!