PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

The thing is I'm actually getting a Series X (at first). But I still like nerdy things like this, and makes me want to get a PS5 sooner rather than waiting for a refresh.

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's like how the most valuable thing to collect for the Gamecube wasn't any of the games, it was the cables.

I've found a gamecube component cable in one of my drawers and was amused to see them on ebay going for upwards of £300. Noice. Which is nice. 

16 minutes ago, JPL said:

I got those 2 in so my boys don’t miss out for Christmas. I’m going to try and risk picking up a Series X on launch day, as I missed the preorders.

That’s if we’re not in lockdown again or I can find somewhere to preorder before then.

Cool aye, I'm certainly all in on a Series X, but it's going to have to wait till next year. I'm fine with waiting till the initial rush has subsided a wee bit. 

Ps5 on launch though, would be nice to have both that and a Series X at launch, but that's a lot of dolla to dish out. 

Curiously while skimming through the video for the 5th time I discovered another heatsink and two more heat pipes -

image.png.5bb5043864b4a6cbb32281d845e2f469.png

image.png.f30c3b236f55a7252e6a2da63d1a9f7c.png

Looks like that's to keep the SSD and ram cooled on the back of the mobo.

image.png.3efb3bb48208f4d64d0fbe57745f7350.png

So the cooling fan and heat sinks are over 50% of the total volume of the case - 

image.thumb.png.2f4d647fe366294f9fd098e32bc68b1c.png

Seems we were right it's enormous for a reason, those high clocks on the CPU and GPU will be well catered for with this cooling solution.

14 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Cool aye, I'm certainly all in on a Series X, but it's going to have to wait till next year. I'm fine with waiting till the initial rush has subsided a wee bit. 

Ps5 on launch though, would be nice to have both that and a Series X at launch, but that's a lot of dolla to dish out. 

I’d no doubt be getting a PS5 as well, if it wasn’t for my lads*, but I can’t have all the toys for myself!

*and hoping there’s a redesign before there are too many games I need to play on it.

8 minutes ago, Quexex said:

So the cooling fan and heat sinks are over 50% of the total volume of the case - 

image.thumb.png.2f4d647fe366294f9fd098e32bc68b1c.png

Seems we were right it's enormous for a reason, those high clocks on the CPU and GPU will be well catered for with this cooling solution.

Makes you wonder what if any reduction in overall size they’ll be able to achieve with the inevitable slim version, or how fucking big a pro would be :unsure:

I’m really happy they appear to have made a lot of effort with this side of things though. 

21 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Hmmm even more curious - that's the back of the SoC as well -

image.png.a838caffd7b3f0af40f74b3383111bf9.png

Looks a bit like a heat spreader integrated into the X-clamp. That's pretty cool. Wonder how much heat is actually going to be dispersed through the board though - I expect that's the reason for the much smaller heatsink on that side. The other side will be in direct contact with the die, so will be doing the vast majority of the work, I reckon.

Wonder what kinda temps it's hitting under full load.

I'm really happy seeing that breakdown, exactly the kind of thing I hoped Sony would show at some point. I was less than impressed with the noise of the PS4, especially compared to the competition, and I'm really glad they put some effort in. Looks like an excellent piece of engineering. Couldn't care less about the exterior looks if it's indeed silent.

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

image.thumb.png.35687d31e4112cb99aeb9be7d5af6bf4.png

image.thumb.png.2fc8d2b27a44611d4b4a13d4d7cffe67.png

He is quite a small chap but the PS5 is also quite big beast!

I've no idea why, but I can't help imagining that first picture with the translation actually saying 'This... is my son'.

I must have been lucky with my PS4 as it’s still really quiet, but the excitement over the PS5’s fan just shows how bad it must have been for a lot of you. Good to see they’re addressing it, even though it would have been nicer in a smaller package.

1 hour ago, Purin said:

The thing is I'm actually getting a Series X (at first). But I still like nerdy things like this, and makes me want to get a PS5 sooner rather than waiting for a refresh.

I totally understand, I feel the same way about the Xb, I'm getting a PS5 on launch but quite fancy getting an X in the next year or so too, they're both looking really good this time around.

I take it that liquid metal (whatever it is) is sealed in then, if it can kill your system if it spills? What’s the point of the foam pad around the chip?

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

I take it that liquid metal (whatever it is) is sealed in then, if it can kill your system if it spills? What’s the point of the foam pad around the chip?

I think the foam pad is the seal, Sony had a patent on it recently. The stuff is going to be pretty viscous and will struggle to come out from the gap, much less get through the foam.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think the foam pad is the seal, Sony had a patent on it recently. The stuff is going to be pretty viscous and will struggle to come out from the gap, much less get through the foam.

I was just thinking how these things are going to be getting thrown around everywhere while they’re being shipped around the world. Hopefully it’s viscous enough to handle your average Yodel driver.

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

I was just thinking how these things are going to be getting thrown around everywhere while they’re being shipped around the world. Hopefully it’s viscous enough to handle your average Yodel driver.

I think you are getting it mixed up with mercury or something. Peeps in this thread have said it's a basically a paste.

1 minute ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I think you are getting it mixed up with mercury or something. Peeps in this thread have said it's a basically a paste.

It’s all good then. I’m sure they wouldn’t be letting it slosh all around the internals of every PS5 they make!

3 minutes ago, footle said:

Based on 76 preorders, 55 of which were for variants of the PS5. I might well believe the headline, but I'm not really convinced about the methodology.

Me neither. Especially not on the US... I reckon the split there will be more like 60-65% versus 35-40%. Globally more likely 70% - 30% (Switch not taken into account). Sony will likely have a headstart because the mainstream is uneducated and the hardcore gamer buys what their friends buy (or both platforms). But once they are both in ships and we are a year in or so I am curious to see if Sony managed to pull away again. Microsoft is much more focused this generation and the Game Pass praise is slowly spreading and more and more people know that it exists. 

My hope is a 60-40% split between the two platforms. Domination is never good for nobody. Also I want Sony to do well given what is coming for them (Microsoft, Amazon, Google and likely Facebook down the line.... all companies with much larger resources then Sony will ever have). 

I also see Sony as the best solution for the Oculus/Facebook problem for VR but this means Sony needs to embrace PC as a supported platform for PSVR 2. I have some hope they will. They are in the best position together with Microsoft to strike brack at Oculus/Facebook VR (although the risk is that Microsoft and Facebook team up). Are you woke Sony?

4 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's like how the most valuable thing to collect for the Gamecube wasn't any of the games, it was the cables.

But that makes the most sense.  You need a good cable to play all of the games, not like a 3260 face plate which is basically just a piece of shiny plastic.  Gameboy Micro faceplates were the same, but at least with those you could argue that they cover the screen so it could be about scratch removal...

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

When collecting as an investment, always think “is this some stupid shite nobody asked for and only I am stupid enough to buy”.

Still regret recycling my Odama box.

Odama is worth sod all, wouldn't worry about it.

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

DAMN - so all the bitching and moaning about noisy PS4's and PS4 Pros really did make a difference. Sony have put a lot of engineering effort into this. 

I think the tear down video is the first properly positive thing from Sony.  It shows that at least technically, they've put the effort in, whatever else they do with games, saves, dashboards, OS etc, the 1 guarantee is that a lot of us will most likely still have and want to use this hardware in another 7+ years!

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ