PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

3 hours ago, rgraves said:

The with-drive version looks soooo much better like that, I'm surprised they ever let vertical photos of it get it to begin with (should have shown digital vertical and drive horizontal all the time). I think MS genuinely made them rush a few things and make some sloppy mistakes in the process.

Doesn't stop it being 'penis-extension-audi-driver-phwoar' big, but it's easier to see the thinking with the drive placement like that.

But is the disc version able to be used Vertically!!! Sony we need answers!!

I do agree with you though, I think the console looks great either way. I bet it’s not that efficient to produce though.

6 minutes ago, aeroflott said:

Is there likely to be another window to order a PS5 before Xmas? 

I think they claimed so, but whether that's lots of units or  a total of 3 delivered to a Tesco somewhere in deepest Dorset remains to be seen.

13 hours ago, Stanley said:

You can get some stylish AV units these days with all the wires and what have you tucked away at the back, I think a shiny new PS5 would look pretty good in one. 

Amazing. The console looks awful, you say? Well, my good man, after spending £450 on it, all you need to do to make it look good is buy a 65" TV and a new AV unit and then bury it in there. A shiny new ps5 will look great in there when you can't see it!

I really do think it's a swish looking console. I was initially thrown by it but liked its space age look but the horizontal angle has really grown on me. I think it's a lovely, modern looking piece of kit.

ps5-horizonal-with-dualsense.thumb.jpg.09e14fdbcac6b7032ce13060ba455395.jpg

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

It looks like it survived a house fire but still works.

:lol:

Also wondering if anything more has been said about this PSVR adapter you need for the PS4 camera? I'm keen to sell my current PS4 but don't want to do it until I'm certain I can continue playing PSVR games on it.

42 minutes ago, squirtle said:

Amazing. The console looks awful, you say? Well, my good man, after spending £450 on it, all you need to do to make it look good is buy a 65" TV and a new AV unit and then bury it in there. A shiny new ps5 will look great in there when you can't see it!

;)

14 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The all-digital future, but I'm sure you knew. Not to make this about which is better, physical or digital - it's going there whether we like it or not. The question is how fast.

We're already there.  Physical Media isn't.  At best it's an access token you can resell, like the dongle from an old copy of Cubase.

The portion of a complete Forza Horizon 4 experience on the disk is probably in the single figure % at this point, if you bought a disc copy of that and the DLC now you'd probably have to download 80gb.  (Super fun at 2MB/Sec let me tell you).

Not to mention the absolute bullshit that was Borderlands and Bioshock on Switch among others.

With all the argument over "What is retro" I think the ultimate long term answer will be "Video games where you can put the disk/card/cart in and play the game the developers actually intended".

Yes, that's all true. But the real all-digital future will also be one where games simply aren't sold in disc format anymore. Despite the disc being mostly useless nowadays, enough gamers still hold them dear as either something tangible, the feeling of actually owning the game because they can hold a disc in their hands - or because you can sell that disc abd buy it second hand or lend it to and from someone.

Once all that goes away and buying digitally is the only option, that is the all-digital future.

Digital only appears from a consumer standpoint as overpriced and fixed. 

I can understand paying £2-£10 on a steamsale knowing there’s a chance I won’t give the game as much of a chance and knowing I can’t shift it if it’s shit. But £70 for an all digital game is too much for me. 

unless, of course, they offer a way to sell / share / lend licences. 

I have always purchased retail discs if I can, once I complete a game I always trade it on. This is probably the last generation for physical media.

Not to butt in but this conversation dislodged a thought I’d had recently. John Gruber was posting about how weirdly backwards consoles using disks was, in his opinion. It occurred to me that as a  Mac and Apple TV user he pays a premium for advanced hardware and then uses it to watch streaming “HD” and “4K” movies at quality somewhere between a DVD and an ordinary Blu-ray. And probably most of the 4K TVs sold are used exactly the same way.

I could probably take or leave disk games if it saves me £90 and makes my console look less janky but there’s no good alternative if you want to watch high quality video.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!