PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

3 hours ago, David Kenny said:

Might just be a flattering angle but I think that looks really good.

The Digital Edition is going to be a really nice looking symmetrical sweeping console. Huge but nice. I refuse to get over the Blu-ray bulge though.

7DFB1C5B-327D-4CB1-8DC5-C24D3568EB4B.jpeg.c15059896c3b250efa6567e342e2f97d.jpeg

It really does have fan inlets on each side! I wonder if it has heat sinks on both faces of the motherboard.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

One of the influencers should have accidentally smashed it hard on the ground so it accidentally breaks open.

To be fair, that might have caused a seismic event. 

1 hour ago, Escaped said:

I remember the Xbox being on the noisy side, but the PS2 was really quiet, and the only PS1 noise was from reading discs.

Memories of all the jump scares in Resi being ruined by the disc whirring into action

4 hours ago, teddymeow said:

It's been reported that Sony are making "X" the universal button for "confirm" and "O" the universal button for "cancel".

Since PlayStation began its been the other way around in Japan.

Urgh. I just had to look at a controller to figure out which was X and which was O, but that's the wrong way round. It should be O/A for confirm, and X/B for cancel, not the backwards Microsoft way.

Here’s how I remember where each button is placed: triangle points up, so it’s at the top. Circle on the right makes sense if you think of going round the buttons in a clockwise direction, what with clocks being round or something. X marks the spot on the ground. And, eh, square is on the left because if you make a letter L shape with your left hand thumb and forefinger, that shape also doubles up as the lower left corner of a square. 

Now go and S-rank all of the Yakuza karaoke :hat:

1 hour ago, Marvin Morris said:

If you’ve just had to look at the controller to see where the X and O are, I don’t think you should be commenting on what the Playstation config should be!

I just press “the one on the right” or “the one on the bottom”. I can never remember which is which no matter how hard I try to learn.QTEs on the PlayStation are a bloody nightmare.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

The Digital Edition is going to be a really nice looking symmetrical sweeping console. Huge but nice. I refuse to get over the Blu-ray bulge though.

Like this -

WsutUkRJHfh5jT8lUZDA4lxw.jpg?f=user_larg

Mmmm floaty

I wonder if the purpose of the PS5 design is to be striking and make people ask "what is that"? It's certainly going to draw attention some positive, some negative, but attention nonetheless. 

3 minutes ago, Quexex said:

I wonder if the purpose of the PS5 design is to be striking and make people ask "what is that"? It's certainly going to draw attention some positive, some negative, but attention nonetheless. 

Could be they want it to stand out more in the living room now there’s less likely to be a row of games on the bookshelf.

“oh I didn’t know Sky still supported those set-top boxes”

The thing that bothers me about both consoles being upright is dust. Is anyone going to put a cover on theirs when not in use?

Also, I suspect the reason why Sony are not showing the OS is probably because it isn't finished.

3 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

The thing that bothers me about both consoles being upright is dust. Is anyone going to put a cover on theirs when not in use?

Also, I suspect the reason why Sony are not showing the OS is probably because it isn't finished.

Since the side panels are removable on the PS5 I suspect you are going to be able to open her up and get the dust out. 

7 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Well hopefully the PS4 dash is backward compatible :D

13 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

If you’ve got sufficient airflow to cool the things, it’s pulling dust into those side vents anyway. If the Xbox is drawing dust through the floor at the bottom, and then has positive air pressure at the top, that’s probably not the main concern: your bigger issue is people spilling stuff in it.

similar argument applies to the PS5, though how the air moves through the system isn’t as clear. Does it even have a vent on the top, when standing vertically?

aQ4TzN2dUmswFRiHavnsjeUC.jpg?f=user_larg

Not as offended as I once was with vertical either. Kind of like the 'supercharger' drive bump. But as that's the one I'm getting I am biased... The symmetry of the all digital is better. But if I call it a supercharger I can feel better about it ;)

41 minutes ago, footle said:

If you’ve got sufficient airflow to cool the things, it’s pulling dust into those side vents anyway. If the Xbox is drawing dust through the floor at the bottom, and then has positive air pressure at the top, that’s probably not the main concern: your bigger issue is people spilling stuff in it.

similar argument applies to the PS5, though how the air moves through the system isn’t as clear. Does it even have a vent on the top, when standing vertically?

The vents are all around. 
The whole thing is 3.5kg that’s 7 punnets of grapes. Not sure how big the heat sink is but they are going to need it as they are clocking high with less.

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

It’s strange to say it, it might not age well but I think it’s the best looking console ever made?

It's strange to say it, I hate to say it, but it's probably you.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!