IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

All the processing is on the PS4 as well, but they still locked it out of everything except their own this gen.

"Cerny has said the PS5 will be able to deliver 3D sound through your TV’s audio setup. But to get the best out of it it looks like you’ll need a Pulse 3D wireless headset. That’s Sony's official PS5 gaming headphones that are “fine-tuned” for 3D audio."

It doesn't appear to be exclusive tech given you can even do 3D sound through your own TV audio - says "fine-tuned" for the headset - not required

4 minutes ago, Uzi said:

"Cerny has said the PS5 will be able to deliver 3D sound through your TV’s audio setup. But to get the best out of it it looks like you’ll need a Pulse 3D wireless headset. That’s Sony's official PS5 gaming headphones that are “fine-tuned” for 3D audio."

It doesn't appear to be exclusive tech given you can even do 3D sound through your own TV audio - says "fine-tuned" for the headset - not required

It'll just mean their HRTF algorithms are able to take into account the characteristics of that particular headset's frequency response, I suspect.

Yep exactly - they will know the specifications and range of their own hardware so will likely have specific profiles for them perhaps but the 3D audio should work with a range of devices the same way your typical dolby/dts codecs can do. 

I feel like people are so picky about headphones they should let us use anything. I know you’ll be able too but they will probably lock out 3d audio.

I like the Apple headphones unlike a lot of people , I can’t deal with the hair nightmare that follows an evening of headband gear wearing.

Really interested to experience this raytraced audio.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

It will work with any device which supports USB audio - so Nintendo Switch as well, but I would make sure that it supports 3D audio on PS4.

I wouldn’t necessarily count on the Switch, I have a nice Razer USB headset that works on PS4 and PC but the Switch doesn’t recognise it at all. 

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I wouldn’t necessarily count on the Switch, I have a nice Razer USB headset that works on PS4 and PC but the Switch doesn’t recognise it at all. 

I thought you had to connect them to your phone through an app to use those on a Switch?

8 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Is that via the dock? The Gold headset works through the dock.

Through the dock; if the current Sony headset works then probably the new Sony headset will be fine. There are lists of compatible/incompatible USB and wireless headsets for Switch out there.

19 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I thought you had to connect them to your phone through an app to use those on a Switch?

If you just want to use them as headphones, many wireless USB headsets work on Switch through the dock. And a few games even support chat that way.

41 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I feel like people are so picky about headphones they should let us use anything. I know you’ll be able too but they will probably lock out 3d audio.

I like the Apple headphones unlike a lot of people , I can’t deal with the hair nightmare that follows an evening of headband gear wearing.

The new Pulse headphones are cheaper than the older Platinum ones.

Just been looking at the Series X hands on stuff and while it's all good stuff I'm struggling to get super excited about it because - as we all know - it is basically this gen plus some quality of life improvements for now. But it did made me think about a PS5 hands-on (surely not that long away now?) and I realised the single most important thing I want to find out it... how quiet is it :doh: 

I'm pretty sure this isn't how a generation leap is supposed to go. :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Just been looking at the Series X hands on stuff and while it's all good stuff I'm struggling to get super excited about it because - as we all know - it is basically this gen plus some quality of life improvements for now. But it did made me think about a PS5 hands-on (surely not that long away now?) and I realised the single most important thing I want to find out it... how quiet is it :doh: 

I'm pretty sure this isn't how a generation leap is supposed to go. :rolleyes:

Demon's Souls looks like it's actually using next gen hardware, I thought.

3 minutes ago, Steven said:

Demon's Souls looks like it's actually using next gen hardware, I thought.

Oh yeah totally, I think that looks amazing (and is actually a next-gen game) :) 

It just made me chuckle that amongst all the nice little features like quick resume, fast load times, etc... the main thing I want from my PlayStation is to not sound like a jet engine.

27 minutes ago, Sell73Out said:

Hale-frickin-lulia

:wub::omg:

Shopto finally confirmed 

AF1A8DB2-B214-4FE9-A0FC-B43DDC0D5B6A.jpeg

Congrats :D 

Can I ask when you registered your interest? Mine still says 

Clicking confirm does not guarantee stock on day one. We will inform you via email when we receive the confirmation of allocation from Sony and Microsoft.
• You have until 29/09/2020 to click CONFIRM PRE-ORDER or the registered interest will be deleted.
• This item is strictly ONE PER CUSTOMER AND HOUSEHOLD.
• Please, DO NOT PRE-PAY for your Registered Interest/Pre-Order just yet. Paying for the item now will not guarantee to get aforementioned items on day one.

I registered my interest end of May and confirmed pre-order a while ago!

22 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Oh yeah totally, I think that looks amazing (and is actually a next-gen game) :) 

It just made me chuckle that amongst all the nice little features like quick resume, fast load times, etc... the main thing I want from my PlayStation is to not sound like a jet engine.

DS looks pretty good - not quite 'next gen' as it's still confined by PS3 design limitation like the scale and size of areas. I too am hoping next gen means my PS console will not sound like it's about to take off.

36 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Congrats :D 

Can I ask when you registered your interest? Mine still says 

Clicking confirm does not guarantee stock on day one. We will inform you via email when we receive the confirmation of allocation from Sony and Microsoft.
• You have until 29/09/2020 to click CONFIRM PRE-ORDER or the registered interest will be deleted.
• This item is strictly ONE PER CUSTOMER AND HOUSEHOLD.
• Please, DO NOT PRE-PAY for your Registered Interest/Pre-Order just yet. Paying for the item now will not guarantee to get aforementioned items on day one.

I registered my interest end of May and confirmed pre-order a while ago!

We have received the allocation details from Sony and, unfortunately, we regret to inform you that we will not be able to fulfil your pre-order on day one/release date.

:(