IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

1 minute ago, Pelekophoros said:

It definitely feels like a "fuck you, we don't even need to try".

They really don’t.

All my casual gaming friends I’ve spoken to are all getting a PS5 just because. I’ve given them all the info on Series X/S, but none of them are interested.

Playstation is so ingrained as the best console, Sony really don’t need to try.

5 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Not a chance it will be free. I've watched a couple of the preview videos and I've seen the toll the game is taking on the Devs, not good.

given it’s been announced as a free upgrade, I wonder where you’re getting your misinformation from.

CDProjetk will mistreat their devs a lot, but they’ll be planning to sell tens of millions of this thing over the next few years.

2 minutes ago, Harsin said:

That's going to be a major disadvantage of the system if devs can easily make XSX versions that you can upgrade to easily while Sony are going please understand pay £70 for the same game again with ray-tracing also you have to start again from the very beginning.

I 'think' Spiderman is the exception rather than the norm. PS5 is 99% BC with PS4 (I'd imagine it's like 99.9% but legally it's safer to stick to 99 for the outlier indy game that dosn't work). Sony have also said that the top 100 most played games would get PS5 boost mode enhancements. I'd guess most of the PSPlus collection for PS5 owners will be on that list so expect higher framrates and resolution (I doubt you'll see RT added though).

2 minutes ago, Quexex said:

I 'think' Spiderman is the exception rather than the norm. PS5 is 99% BC with PS4 (I'd imagine it's like 99.9% but legally it's safer to stick to 99 for the outlier indy game that dosn't work). Sony have also said that the top 100 most played games would get PS5 boost mode enhancements. I'd guess most of the PSPlus collection for PS5 owners will be on that list so expect higher framrates and resolution (I doubt you'll see RT added though).

I'm not convinced that'll happen. I reckon the best those old PS4 games will get is more frame-rate stability (if indeed the frame-rate was unstable in the first place) and scalable resolutions will be maxed out. Again, I'm not sure if that will affect many games.

Anything more than that will probably go the remaster route, and you'll need to buy it and play it all over again.

6 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The guy who wrote the save game code must’ve been absolutely gagging to put in some new ideas he’d had.

There is no code to write unless you are referring to the Operating System. It all part of the SDK, which is probably why it's a ball-ache to convert the save from one product code to another, it's not something Insomniac can do anything about - SEIJ would have to implement something there end - one would guess that's not at the top of the list of priorities right now!

8 minutes ago, footle said:

given it’s been announced as a free upgrade, I wonder where you’re getting your misinformation from.

CDProjetk will mistreat their devs a lot, but they’ll be planning to sell tens of millions of this thing over the next few years.

I’m talking about the ‘remastered’ version they announced for some time next year btw

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

I'm not convinced that'll happen. I reckon the best those old PS4 games will get is more frame-rate stability (if indeed the frame-rate was unstable in the first place) and scalable resolutions will be maxed out. Again, I'm not sure if that will affect many games.

Anything more than that will probably go the remaster route, and you'll need to buy it and play it all over again.

Time will tell I guess. The PS5 boost mode has potential though as most game engines run with variable resolution and frame-rates.

7 minutes ago, Harsin said:

If the PS4's architecture doesn't even allow compatibility between two different versions of Witcher 3 on the same console it doesn't bode well.

It's just down to the product codes of the release. Not sure why Sony went this route I guess legacy saves could cause issues for GOTY editions etc. I experienced it very early on on PS4 when my Press Pack version of Second Son didn't work with my retail release save ... It's been a while since a delved into the save system of the PS4 I think if you know early on your game will have multiple editions there maybe a way round it but once you pick a route I think you're locked to that forever.

6 minutes ago, Harsin said:

If the PS4's architecture doesn't even allow compatibility between two different versions of Witcher 3 on the same console it doesn't bode well.

So even you sink 100 hours into Cyberpunk and get the next-gen upgrade for free, you'll probably have to start it all over again. Unless they have some kind of server-side tracking of your progress like online games.

EDIT: in theory that could happen to the Xbox version as well.

13 minutes ago, footle said:

Sorry my bad. I didn't know it was a free upgrade!

I'm a happy owner of both platforms thankfully, but this feels a bit like the opposite of Sony at the start of the current PS4 gen. Shadow Sony, if you will. 

On my Xbox One X I was amazed when I loaded up some of my old 360 games that I hadn't played in over a decade - and my saves were just magically there! I could immediately resume hunting that last remaining secret orb in Crackdown 1.

Meanwhile, Shadow Sony charges 70 quid to be able to play an upgraded version of a recent game you already bought and fuck you no saves. 

7 minutes ago, Pob said:

EDIT: in theory that could happen to the Xbox version as well

Nah, everything on XB1 just works. You don't need to install a game again if you switch from disc to digital, saves always work afaik between different versions, and when I fired up Master Chief Collection the character I designed for multiplayer Halo 3 waaaay back when was there to greet me. I'll eat Pete Brant's solitary bollock if this will be a problem on the series X.

PS5 version, hm not so sure now

1 minute ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Sony haven't mentioned backwards compatibility for a while. There is no chance 99% of PS4 games will be playable at launch.

Yep slightly concerned on that front I've got a selection of PS4 games I am now going to leave to play on PS5, hopefully they will work.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t think this forum has ever criticised Nintendo for its paid-for re-releases and remasters. Mario 3D All Stars was just waved through as perfectly justified and nobody objected to it at all.

I do.

1 hour ago, p1nseeker said:

Sorry if this has been discussed but do we think PS5 will have a 1080p "performance mode" that would up the frame rate for those of us without a 4k telly?

Down to the developer.

55 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

I’m talking about the ‘remastered’ version they announced for some time next year btw

They're free!

18 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Sony haven't mentioned backwards compatibility for a while. There is no chance 99% of PS4 games will be playable at launch.

Except Jim Ryan literally talked about it last week...

Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console. Sony also announced a new service called PS Plus Collection, which will offer 18 PS4 first-party titles for download to subscribers to the PlayStation online service. It’s a tremendous freebie for anyone who plays their PlayStation online, and a good entry point for anyone new to Sony properties like “The Last of Us.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/ 

33 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Nah, everything on XB1 just works. You don't need to install a game again if you switch from disc to digital, saves always work afaik between different versions, and when I fired up Master Chief Collection the character I designed for multiplayer Halo 3 waaaay back when was there to greet me. I'll eat Pete Brant's solitary bollock if this will be a problem on the series X.

Witcher 3 GOTY saves are separate on Xbox, too, as the system considers them separate products. Guessing progress won't carry forward to the next-gen version, either, unless CDPR are able to include some kind of save conversion process that works for both the original release and GOTY. (No idea if that's possible.)

Doubt it'll be a common problem, just saying it's not a PlayStation exclusive 'feature'.

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Right, so its 99% of the games tested not 99% of games released.

Yes, 99% of the "thousands" of games tested which still sounds like quite a lot to me. It is also it is fair to assume 99% of the untested ones will likely work too given how averages work. It is certainly nothing to be concerned about until actual evidence suggests otherwise.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

But we don't know for sure if cross-gen games will have compatible saves. The 'smart delivery' thing is great for convenience and licenses, but I still don't know whether, for example, Watch Dogs Legion on XB1 and XSS|X are two entirely different games. Same with the PS4 and PS5 versions. Same with Cyberpunk. Is it going to be like PC where there's just one executable?

37 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

A whole lot of concern has appeared in this thread recently.

I'm going to hold judgement until someone has a) played any of these games, and b) got any actual reliable information about what they are talking about.

Sure, but people are making decisions about which platform to go with now, and are having to do so without some key information. MS have been much more upfront about how cross-gen and backwards compatibility works.

1 minute ago, Pob said:

But we don't know for sure if cross-gen games will have compatible saves. The 'smart delivery' thing is great for convenience and licenses, but I still don't know whether, for example, Watch Dogs Legion on XB1 and XSS|X are two entirely different games. Same with the PS4 and PS5 versions. Same with Cyberpunk. Is it going to be like PC where there's just one executable?

Part of being branded as having Smart Delivery – a terrible term, in my book – is that saves will carry between platforms. It's essentially the same executable running different configuration settings/asset packs.

Things are muddier for games that are cross-generation but not designated as supporting Smart Delivery, like EA's titles or Control: Ultimate Edition; the former will probably rely on syncing server data rather than save files as such.

18 minutes ago, Pob said:

Sure, but people are making decisions about which platform to go with now, and are having to do so without some key information. MS have been much more upfront about how cross-gen and backwards compatibility works.

I totally get that and I think Sony need to be more open about it to be honest (and PSVR).

My issue is just that in the absence of that official information some people have been stirring things up by trying to pass off complete speculation as half truths. I just don't think it's constructive and causes threads like this to become a bit sour for no good reason.

42 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Being able to move saves between versions is a required feature for Smart Delivery:

0B7A422A-554F-4801-AD74-D779D20A65D9.thumb.jpeg.17f1673558f9ef40d7bb4180ecfc2ba5.jpeg

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/15/what-is-smart-delivery-xbox-series-x/

They give the example of starting Halo Infinite on your Series X in your living room and picking up where you left off on your old Series S in your bedroom later.

Phew! That's the kind of thing that made it an easy decision for me to stick my Xbox for third-party stuff.