IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

11 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yeah this is still the dumbest argument, it's just easier to acknowledge it's a failed attempt at "both sides are bad, the group doing the bad thing, and the one that isn't" driven by fanboyism than actually give it the respect necessarily to unwind the torturous logic.

Dig up, stupid.

:lol:

Maybe you just need to stop trying so fucking hard.

At least in the UK and US with their respective court precedents, all corporations are legally compelled to maximise profit to shareholders. They’ll gouge us all as much as they can unless it then harms their bottom line again (eg through negative PR).

Attach whatever label you want to that, consumerism or anti-consumerism, and floral rhetoric, “for the gamers”, “offers” etc all don’t whitewash this mechanism, extracting as much out of us as they can.

Are there degrees of this? Sure, with the pattern usually being the more dominant a corporation the more egregious the anti-consumer practises.

1 hour ago, Pelekophoros said:

They get away with it not because the company are refusing to react to anything around them, but because their customer base accept it (and arguably desire it). I genuinely don't get your 'reaction' argument at all. Anti-consumer practices are anti-consumer practices, regardless of whether or not a corporate entity is 'reacting' to another corporate entity's actions or not.

You're imagining a user experience there which I didn't suggest. But, hey, let's get more specific.

MS could, with all first party game purchases, throw in a year of Game Pass for free. At the end of that year, you'd retain your purchase or have the option to subscribe and retain access to the full library. There are lots of clever UX people and engineers who could make this all seemless for the end user. They choose not to do this.

Instead, they sell you their first party games at a cost that's higher than a year of Game Pass and never even highlight the disparity in value during that user journey.

My point was more simple than this non-exhaustive example, however; everyone is getting scalped somewhere, somehow. Non of the corporate entities are pro-consumer, they're just all figuring out how they can extract as much cash from us as possible. I just found it particularly weird that these particular darlings (Nintendo) are exempt from criticism because they're 'non-reactive'.

This is a weird post. All I said is they look like cheapskates in comparison to what Xbox is doing, I don't really see how this this anti-consumer whatabouttery is relevant.

And you know for every game pass game there's a great big box highlighting that says INCLUDED WITH GAMEPASS before you buy it, right? 

14 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Not exactly convinced all the people squeeing over preorders on multiple sites and excited to "have a new box to open this holiday" are actually all cynical anti-capitalists. "Stop trying so fucking hard", indeed.

Who's tried to portray themselves as anti-capitalist?

18 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

This is a weird post. All I said is they look like cheapskates in comparison to what Xbox is doing, I don't really see how this this anti-consumer whatabouttery is relevant.

And you know for every game pass game there's a great big box highlighting that says INCLUDED WITH GAMEPASS before you buy it, right? 

I just found it particularly weird that these particular darlings (Nintendo) are exempt from criticism because they're 'non-reactive'.

9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t think this forum has ever criticised Nintendo for its paid-for re-releases and remasters. Mario 3D All Stars was just waved through as perfectly justified and nobody objected to it at all.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm.

Where did I make an argument that the forum, as a collective, didn't criticise Nintendo?

26 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

I just found it particularly weird that these particular darlings (Nintendo) are exempt from criticism because they're 'non-reactive'.

It’s got nothing to do with this nonsense “non-reactive” term you keep using. They’re clearly not competing on the same points that Sony and Microsoft aggressively compete with one another on, or even have console cycles which line up with them, so people don’t tend to compare them directly.

So “but Nintendo didn’t give you free upgrades 3 years ago when no one else was doing it!” just looks a bit desperate. 

16 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Sorry, I didn’t realise it was a specific person who was supposedly exempting them from this criticism. 

13 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

It’s got nothing to do with this nonsense “non-reactive” term you keep using. They’re clearly not competing on the same points that Sony and Microsoft aggressively compete with one another on, so people don’t compare them directly.

Could you guys go back a page and re-read your posts please? It'll save me doing that annoying internet thing of re-quoting the conversation because of some kind of random short term memory loss phenomenon.

Speaking personally, if Sony showed signs of following MS and doing next-gen patches for their big-hitters on PS4, it would have tempted me to pre-order. Price is important, but for me the best thing about those Xbox patches is the continuity - going back to an old game and picking up where you left off, but with a higher-resolution and better frame-rate. That's a really big selling-point in the first year when you're still playing last-gen games alongside the new stuff.

13 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Could you guys go back a page and re-read your posts please? It'll save me doing that annoying internet thing of re-quoting the conversation because of some kind of random short term memory loss phenomenon.

Well I took “are exempt from” as being broad and not just referring to an earlier point about the company that I’d missed, I already apologised.

10 minutes ago, Pob said:

Speaking personally, if Sony showed signs of following MS and doing next-gen patches for their big-hitters on PS4, it would have tempted me to pre-order. Price is important, but for me the best thing about those Xbox patches is the continuity - going back to an old game and picking up where you left off, but with a higher-resolution and better frame-rate. That's a really big selling-point in the first year when you're still playing last-gen games alongside the new stuff.

I was thinking with Spider-Man that I might pick up the next gen version just to play through the DLC as I never bothered first time around.  But they want £70 and your sodding old save doesn't even work. Fuck that shit! 

It really feels like Sony and MS have transitioned back towards where they both were at the launch of the 360 and PS3 respectively.

4 minutes ago, Harsin said:

and your sodding old save doesn't even work.

What?? Seriously? I totally missed this, but this is just being mean on purpose. I was set on getting MM normal edition because fuck off at that price for Ultimate - and no way in hell am I doing all that again. But like you, I've never played the DLC so I was still a little bit tempted and undecided... But fuck that.

10 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It really feels like Sony and MS have transitioned back towards where they both were at the launch of the 360 and PS3 respectively.

It's probably going to continue to seesaw this way as long as there are generations to be "won." Whoever "wins" gets a bit overconfident and forgets that last round's "loser" is going to have learned their lessons and come out swinging.

It's great for us gamers as it keeps both companies honest over the long term despite their short-term errors. Not so good if you're a fervent supporter of whoever is currently "losing" of course, but we're all beyond that sort of playground mentality aren't we? :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

What?? Seriously? I totally missed this, but this is just being mean on purpose. I was set on getting MM normal edition because fuck off at that price for Ultimate - and no way in hell am I doing all that again. But like you, I've never played the DLC so I was tempted abd undecided... But fuck that.

Yep.

Insomniac also confirmed that save files from the original PS4 release won’t be supported or transferred, meaning you’ll have to start over if you’ve made any progress in the PS4 version.

A decision so bone-headed it honestly feels like trolling.

3 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Sorry if this has been discussed but do we think PS5 will have a 1080p "performance mode" that would up the frame rate for those of us without a 4k telly?

Unlikely at a system level but most announced games either have Performance/Quality modes or are 60fps as standard. Who can say if this'll last as the generation draws on, but as the machines have good CPUs this time – and so much performance can be saved by scaling back from rendering at 4K or using ray-tracing – I suspect higher framerates might become the norm.

I guess you'd probably notice less visual difference when playing games that support 120fps, as they'd tend to drop the rendering resolution to get there, although I presume 120Hz 1080p TVs are very uncommon.

While I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a PS5 eventually, there are many questions I have about its storage & expansion options that will probably only be answered when the likes of Digital Foundry have a unit in their hands & dig into it.

So i'm in no rush, & in the meantime, I have quite a backlog of PS4 stuff to work through, so I can see myself getting a PS5 at the first price drop, same as I did a PS4, & by then the remastered PS4 stuff like Control, Spiderman, etc should also be more reasonably priced for those who don't (or can't) take advantage of the free upgrades.

5 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Yep.

If you look a few pages back this is down to the way save data is handled on PS4. It's not just Sony, someone else pointed out the The Witcher 3 GOTY editions wouldn't load the standard Witcher 3 save either.

5 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Yep.

It's really shit and frustrating and something they absolutely should have been able to fix, and it's a bigger blocker to upgrading then the already high level bullshit around price and route.  It definitely feels like a "fuck you, we don't even need to try".

That's going to be a major disadvantage of the system if devs can easily make XSX versions that you can upgrade to easily while Sony are going please understand pay £70 for the same game again with ray-tracing also you have to start again from the very beginning.