IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

Why is anyone finding this confusing? Nowhere have Sony ever suggested a free upgrade for the original Spidey game. 

24 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

So buy Ultimate and a PS4 copy of Spidey to get the Remaster. Or pay 20 to get remastered Spidey as a download.

No. Just buy the Ultimate version of MM to get the remaster.  Why are you suggesting anyone buys a PS4 version and Ultimate?

9 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

It’s clear. It’s just convoluted. Big up the Xbox drivebys tho. Newly empowered because of their exclusive 700 hour Dungeons and Dragons western RPGs that will release in 4 years time.

The irony. 

2 minutes ago, Ry said:

The irony. 

I know right! As a future Xbox owner, can anyone explain how to get gamepass for the optimum price and time? Is it Brazilian cdkeys store? All access 1 month and cancel for a months free? VPN? For the players? Come on lads, we can have a lol out of anything. Especially your new credit ratings

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

Why is anyone finding this confusing? Nowhere have Sony ever suggested a free upgrade for the original Spidey game.

They haven't but some other companies have set a precedent by announcing improved versions of their games at no extra cost so any less than everyone else following suit will feel lacking, plus it implies there won't be any benefits with the BC version.

Sony’s new cheapskate look is a bit rubbish. 

“No, no game pass, here’s a bunch of old games that you’ve already played. Want new ones? £70, please. Sorry, the new old one is also £70. No, we don’t do Smart Delivery, either. There’s a little “PS5 upgrade available*” on the box - emphasis on the “*”. 

All of it? No one else is charging £70 for a game. Their direct competitor is giving free upgrades to all their games and even EA are charging less for next gen upgrades than them. 

Incredibly, there is no way to upgrade or even buy a remastered version of Spidey without buying another £50 game and then paying extra on top. That’s certainly new and exclusive. 

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

All of it? No one else is charging £70 for a game. Their direct competitor is giving free upgrades to all their games and even EA are charging less for next gen upgrades than them. 

The price of the games is a bit too high. However you can't compare a remaster that has been reworked for a new platform to changing a few numbers to unlock resolution and frame rate they are very different in terms of dev cost.

Sony are offering free upgrades for Miles and Forbidden West. I think it's pretty miserly that doesn't extend to the Spider-Man remaster, but I'll wait to see how they handle potential rereleases of more recent games – i.e. TLOU2 and GoT – before getting too annoyed.

19 minutes ago, Quexex said:

The price of the games is a bit too high. However you can't compare a remaster that has been reworked for a new platform to changing a few numbers to unlock resolution and frame rate they are very different in terms of dev cost.

You seem to be confusing Xbox Series X optimised games (ground-up next generation versions) and Xbox Series X backwards compatibility (frame rate and resolution boosts for current generation games). Microsoft’s giving away both of those.

Heck, Sony is happy to give away the $50 next gen version of Miles Morales as a free upgrade to current generation players. It’s only the special edition bonus remaster of the original that they’re nickel and diming you $20 over. It’s bizarre, this really trivial financial win for a massive PR loss.

It makes me think, actually, that someone in Sony was absolutely goddamn insistent that they do a PS5 port of Spider-Man, and someone else was absolutely insistent that everyone already had it on PS4 so it would never pay for itself, and the petty compromise they reached was that they’d do the port, but to pay for it nobody got it for free, but to make it cheap it was going to be a $20 special edition bonus, but they didn’t want to hurt sales of the original so it had to not be sold separately.

What an absolute cluster fuck to stick on your banner launch title. At least Halo Infinite had the dignity to shuffle off stage when it shit itself.

30 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Sony are offering free upgrades for Miles and Forbidden West. I think it's pretty miserly that doesn't extend to the Spider-Man remaster, but I'll wait to see how they handle potential rereleases of more recent games – i.e. TLOU2 and GoT – before getting too annoyed.

It's my understanding that TLOU2 and GoT will just run on the PS5 better than on PS4 so long as you have it in your library/you have the disc. I'm pretty sure I saw a tweet by Neil Druckmann saying TLOU2 runs "very well" on the PS5. Yes, they're not remasters, and it will be interesting to see if they do go down that route with them. But I'm pretty sure Sony mandated that any big releases (maybe all releases?) for PS4 this year have to also run on PS5. 

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's my understanding that TLOU2 and GoT will just run on the PS5 better than on PS4 so long as you have it in your library/you have the disc. I'm pretty sure I saw a tweet by Neil Druckmann saying TLOU2 runs "very well" on the PS5. Yes, they're not remasters, and it will be interesting to see if they do go down that route with them. But I'm pretty sure Sony mandated that any big releases (maybe all releases?) for PS4 this year have to also run on PS5. 

I think it was for submissions to Sony from mid-July but ND had already done the work.

Here it is

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Incredibly, there is no way to upgrade or even buy a remastered version of Spidey without buying another £50 game and then paying extra on top. That’s certainly new and exclusive. 

I must have missed that free upgrade from the WiiU->Switch version of Breath of the Wild then...

PS3 launch games were £40. PS4 launch games were £55. Games were obviously going to up in price.

A quick google search suggests that Xbox series S|X games are expected to be in the $60-70 range in the US, which is the same as the PS5. PS3 launch games had a RRP of €60, so have only gone up €20 in the last 13 years. Which suggests the issue for us is more to do with the GBP-JPY exchange rate tanking in the same period rather than anything specific to Sony. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

My problem with the spidey “remaster”‘ is that due to the quality of the original I can’t imagine they have much reasonable headroom for improvements.

I’m not expecting Last of Us PS3 to PS4 size transformation. I’m expecting a Last of US PS4 - PS4 Pro style update.

They would have had to do a lot of texture and engine work on the new game which you would expect to have just carried over to the main game.

However I guess none of us really know. I guess it’s reasonable to expect support for the new controller features and perhaps new mini games that use it? Plus a complete overhaul of the audio to suit the new 3D audio format.

4 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Sony’s new cheapskate look is a bit rubbish. 

“No, no game pass, here’s a bunch of old games that you’ve already played. Want new ones? £70, please. Sorry, the new old one is also £70. No, we don’t do Smart Delivery, either. There’s a little “PS5 upgrade available*” on the box - emphasis on the “*”. 

I recall Nintendo years ago saying they didn’t want to cheapen the value of games.

The fact that people are moaning about not getting freebies shows that premium game experiences are already getting devalued. 

11 hours ago, Thor said:

For those with an Argos order, if you check your order details, does it show your full address?   Mine is only showing my House Number, Swansea, and Postcode... :unsure:

Mine too weirdly, but they've delivered stuff to me before and in the my addresses section my full address is there, I'm sure it's fine.

7 hours ago, Seamonster said:

I must have missed that free upgrade from the WiiU->Switch version of Breath of the Wild then...

PS3 launch games were £40. PS4 launch games were £55. Games were obviously going to up in price.

A quick google search suggests that Xbox series S|X games are expected to be in the $60-70 range in the US, which is the same as the PS5. PS3 launch games had a RRP of €60, so have only gone up €20 in the last 13 years. Which suggests the issue for us is more to do with the GBP-JPY exchange rate tanking in the same period rather than anything specific to Sony. 

I think the Nintendo comparison completely ignores the fact that they are completely different to Microsoft and Sony and almost nothing they do is in response to them. Sony and Microsoft are more similar than ever. They’re basically selling you slightly different flavours of AMD made computers with their logo on it at this point. They also launched the switch 3 years ago and had no competitor offering free upgrades to push them to match. 

“Games were obviously going to go up in price” isn’t really valid when the only people charging £70 for a PS5 game are Sony. Even third parties aren’t charging that much. 

Xbox Series S|X games - there are almost none. They’re almost all Xbox One games with Smart delivery - the simple to understand system that doesn’t try to nickle and dime you for a game you’ve already bought, on a console you’ve just spent hundreds on. Many of these are on game pass, and none of the ones which aren’t cost £70. 

The one which are charging are the companies you would expect to - Activision and 2K.