IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

I think it would be a very elegant system if:

1) It was 80% of the size

2) The disk drive was actually designed in to it

I like the fact that it has rotational symmetry. I like how it manages to be covered in grilles without the grilles being all that visible from the front, a trick the three PS4 iterations pulled off. I especially like that the fins actually stop you blocking the ventilation. I like the weirdness of it. But it's just not a design that works terribly well on an object that large, it just emphasises its bulkiness. And the disk drive just emphasises that even more.

Whether or not you like the look of it is always going to be subjective and depend on the finer details. I personally quite like the white and black combo as it's a bit different, just not the actual shape or final aesthetic of the thing unfortunately.

The biggest issue for me though - which I think is less subjective - is just the sheer scale of it. Consoles are by their nature often "under the TV" devices and as I posted above I'm going to struggle to fit this into a pretty large media bench (certainly the biggest shelves I've ever) so if it's bad for me it's going to be a lot worse for a huge number of other people who might be planning on replacing a console that currently has a home in those locations.

It feels like Sony either just forgot to think about it, or decided to focus on just one or two design considerations (fitting everything in and heat) to the expense of all others (which by definition makes it not very good design).

Looking at some of the comparison images (with a pinch of salt as they are all just interpretations at this stage) it looks almost in gaudy PC case territory, not the set-top box zone consoles generally frequent (and if I wanted a gaudy PC I would be building one with an RTX and putting it in my office).

Obviously that won't stop people buying it (I'm saying this and I've bought one) but I just hope they have genuinely nailed the heat management properly as part of this design and it runs cool and silent (even with limited free space around it) or there are going to be issues. Very interested to see a tear down to see how that size is justified.

10 hours ago, BitterToad said:

How do cloud saves work on PS4? I'm planning to sell my Pro this week at dirty shitty CEX and am hoping to carry on with Death Stranding when my PS5 turns up. Are cloud saves on PS4 as simple as they are on XBox?

Yes and no.

If you're expecting to login into any system and have it just work, it won't.

But in your circumstance it won't be too bad, just remember to set the PS5 as the primary system before playing the games.  Only your primary PS will automatically upload and download saves, you have to do it manually. It used to annoy the shit out of me as someone who had 2 PS4s and also used MS stuff which is perfectly capable of automatically managing my saves across 2 Xboxs and a PC running MS games.

17 minutes ago, Triple A said:

it's a big boy alright.

hey - they could bring back the Duke controller for PS5 - but make it even bigger!

So very similar to the original Chonker, I loved the Xbox so much. Best launch of a console afaik. Can’t wait for ps5

4 minutes ago, Droo said:

Just wondering How big is the smallest RTX grade graphics card?

this looks quite small: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/geforce-rtx-2060-aero-itx-6g-oc

Though you’re really looking at laptops. With battery and screen (and therefore a load more price), this is lighter than either a PS5 or Series X... https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/gaming-and-games/new-dell-g5-15/spd/g-series-15-5500-laptop/cng5014#features_section

no internal power supply though!

The digital edition is actually really nice looking. Still huge but the curves actually make it look sleek when you’re looking at it straight on. That’s just one angle but it’s more than the disk model gets.

The slim will just be that with a disk slot on the “inside”, right?

I am probably in the unique position here of being a person who has pre-ordered the PS5 even though I'm not in a rush to buy any of the launch games. It's the PS4 backwards compatibility that has enticed me, as well as the fact that my Launch edition PS4 is FULL of gaming content and has space for no more, AND whenever I play it, the sound of the fan is literally muffling the general ambience of my entire neighbourhood.

The PS Plus Collection was also an enticement.

And then on top of that, it was the Netflix and Disney+ dedicated buttons on the Media Remote that swayed me. Currently, the rest of my family are quick to complain about how awkward it is to navigate to those two services on the PS4 (and my TV is not new enough to have its own dedicated Disney+ app).

3 minutes ago, Pixelated Ben said:

Currently, the rest of my family are quick to complain about how awkward it is to navigate to those two services on the PS4 (and my TV is not new enough to have its own dedicated Disney+ app).

You need a new TV. Allow me to introduce you to our lord and saviour, the LG OLED... ;)

5 minutes ago, Pixelated Ben said:

I am probably in the unique position here of being a person who has pre-ordered the PS5 even though I'm not in a rush to buy any of the launch games. It's the PS4 backwards compatibility that has enticed me, as well as the fact that my Launch edition PS4 is FULL of gaming content and has space for no more, AND whenever I play it, the sound of the fan is literally muffling the general ambience of my entire neighbourhood.

The PS Plus Collection was also an enticement.

And then on top of that, it was the Netflix and Disney+ dedicated buttons on the Media Remote that swayed me. Currently, the rest of my family are quick to complain about how awkward it is to navigate to those two services on the PS4 (and my TV is not new enough to have its own dedicated Disney+ app).

This is what I’d assumed I’d have done - bought the PS5 as a high spec PS4 upgrade and UHD player before there were even necessarily any exclusives I wanted. I thought that was kind of inevitable. But the disk edition is just such an eyesore and both are such a logistical headache to get it in to my set up that I can see a real benefit to waiting for a hardware revision.