PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

3 minutes ago, Ry said:

The PS5 upgrade for cyberpunkniant until next year. You will be playing the Pro version at launch. 

I think. Sony have never said if the PS5 will run the PS4 Pro versions of games. 

Yeah I know the full-fat patch is next year but I only currently have a base PS4 and a One S and I have no faith that the game is going to run even half decently on those old machines. So Pro version does me nicely.

1 minute ago, Super Craig said:

The PS5 APU has 3 modes: PS5 / PS4 Pro Legacy / PS4 Legacy. It was covered in the Cerny presentation.

Ah right. Why even have PS4 legacy?

11 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

I cannot believe that's it for stock until Christmas. Surely there has to be more, otherwise quite a few parents will have unhappy kids on Christmas day. 

What spoilt ass kids are getting a £500 launch console?

10 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

I cannot believe that's it for stock until Christmas. Surely there has to be more, otherwise quite a few parents will have unhappy kids on Christmas day. 

Why not? It's good publicity and it was the same with PS4. During my last days at HMV we were constantly sold out after launch- people used to sprint through the shop to the games counter at the back of the ground floor when the shop opened.

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

I also had to laugh at the fact that they had to add the word 'Console' to every exclusive title with the caveat that they're also available on PC.

Yup.  If you have a powerful PC, it seems to be the place to be right now.

Just now, Sng said:

The ones with Dads who play videogames.

I'm a dad who plays videogames but my kids are not getting a PS5 for Christmas

Spoiler

I'm Muslim we do not celebrate Christmas & anyway they get my PS4 Pro to enjoy.

6 minutes ago, Broker said:

What spoilt ass kids are getting a £500 launch console?

Not so bad if you had more than 1 kids. 

I always shared consoles when I was younger. Myself and my brother had to share a ZX Spectrum Gameboy and a SNES. And we got fuck all else. Happy times. 

Question for those Pro users in the know... Do all new PS4 games now come pumped up for Pro?

I ask because I'm on a OG PS4 and have Star Wars Squadrons coming on October 2nd and is confirmed to work BC (with proper update to follow next year) on PS5. However I haven't seen anything mentioned about Pro vs Standard performance and wasn't sure if being a new game it would automatically include a shinier mode anyway?

Just wondering if I'd likely see an immediate bump up on a PS5 or not.

EDIT: Ignore me. Looks like it does, just found some small print on the PS Store...

Enhanced game play on PS4 Pro console

10 hours ago, layten said:

..and everyone took the piss out of Microsoft for promising no next gen exclusive first party games. 

The weird thing is, someone worked out MS now have more announce generational exclusives than Sony.  Although MS have announced stuff a lot further in the future.

8 minutes ago, Ry said:

Ah right. Why even have PS4 legacy?

I don't know if you had a PS4 Pro but it runs most games in standard PS4 unless you force "boost mode". There are games that have trouble with boost mode.

So the PS5 needs to do both for compatibility.

I think, slightly contrary to Dudley's post, that all PS4 games come with explicit Pro support these days. But they certainly didn't add it retrospectively to many games released prior to the Pro's release. So anything released recently on PS4 should run on the PS5 in the Pro mode. Then older games will presumably only run the in the Base PS4 mode. I think the number of games that had issues with the "boost"mode on the Pro was pretty close to zero.

13 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I have one, but this only applies to third-party games, right?

I think so. But seeing stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn appear on PC means I think that even Sony first party stuff is going to come across to PC eventually (maybe via PSNow initially)

We've gone from third party Sony exclusives now reduced to console exclusive only as they come out on PC either same time or some time after and the odd First Party game coming across too.  I don't think we'll see every first party come across, depends on how much Sony like money over console sales possibly.

some of the first party games being crossgen as well maybe is making me feel that the PS5 "I need one now" factor isn't there for me yet too.

Just now, FiveFootNinja said:

Question for those Pro users in the know... Do all new PS4 games now come pumped up for Pro?

Yes. Every game released since the Pro launched in November '16 should have some form of enhancement; usually a resolution boost, sometimes additional/improved graphical effects or better framerates.

Great, thanks @Ferine

As I skipped the PS4 Pro completely I'm sort of treating the PS5 as my upgrade path even for current gen games as well as new stuff. Going through it I've still got an extensive list of quality things I've yet to try (and a few of those are on the new PS+ collection thing) so I'm less fussed about the launch day game issue (and for now the £70 price tags :blink:). Then of course there is cyberpunk a week later!

It'll basically be a PS4 Pro+ for a while.

7 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I think so. But seeing stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn appear on PC means I think that even Sony first party stuff is going to come across to PC eventually (maybe via PSNow initially)

We've gone from third party Sony exclusives now reduced to console exclusive only as they come out on PC either same time or some time after and the odd First Party game coming across too.  I don't think we'll see every first party come across, depends on how much Sony like money over console sales possibly.

Yes, software and services are where the money is so Sony will probably dip its toes into that more. That said, I don't think they'll go all out on PC anytime soon, so I'll probably stick to the combo for now.

7 minutes ago, Retroguy said:

What are the chances of retailers like Amazon getting more stock allocated? Is it likely that they're totally sold out for launch now and won't get any more?

I reckon they'll get more in as Sony get more shipped?  Plus there's going to be loads of people pre-ordering at multiple places to secure one and will release their pre-orders as time goes on I reckon.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • Pob unpinned this topic