PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

I'm gonna go in, digital edition. I'll bite on Miles Morales (standalone, will just play the PS4 version of the rest), Destruction All Stars (looks like a great arcadey launch title) and Demon's Souls on the exclusives side of things.

Fuck me this is exciting!

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t think they promised that for anything but their US online store’s weird fandom-based selection process, but announcing preorders starting basically immediately was dunderheaded.

The announcement comes from head of PlayStation worldwide marketing, Eric Lempel, who was interviewed by Geoff Keighley following the recent, otherwise relatively unilluminating, DualSense controller stream. 

When Keighley asked for a comment on a recent flurry of rumors that Sony is planning to “press a button” and launch PS5 pre-orders imminently, Lempel responded: “No, definitely not now. We don’t know what happened there. We had nothing to do with it. I got a message from someone saying people were lining up at stores and we had no idea why.”

Lempel added that “it’s safe to saySony will let those intending to purchase a PS5 “know when pre-orders will happen. It’s not going to happen with a minute’s notice. We’re going to, at some point, let you know when you can pre-order a PlayStation 5 so please don’t feel like you have to go run and line up anywhere until you receive official notice on how that will work.”

Maybe not as official as it could have been but what's happened is seemingly in direct contradiction to what the head of worldwide marketing said which just makes him (and Sony) look incompetent. 

31 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I reckon any dlc they were making is going straight to this. Its too weird the gow map has two other levels, clearly dlc but never added

It’s been nearly three years, we’re you seriously expecting DLC? Any plans they had for that were scrapped or changed two and a half years ago.

3 minutes ago, Broker said:

It’s been nearly three years, we’re you seriously expecting DLC? Any plans they had for that were scrapped or changed two and a half years ago.

No no I mean, I imagine they planned it, had it designed, sony said fuck that get it out on ps5 as a sequel so they jumped straight on to that. Gow was such great game itl sell loads and shift consoles even at 80quid

In January this year [2019], Barlog talked about pitching an idea for God of War DLC. However, it was "too ambitious," and people told him the idea was crazy, so it got scrapped.

So I would imagine the proposed DLC was considered big enough to become a full game. 

So going by the current narrative that MS's Xbox Series X games are being held back because they are made to run on current gen consoles that means Miles Morales won't be using the full potential of the PS5 right?

Thoughts on preorders from specific retailers?

My guess is the likes of Amazon will have their exact quota and if you manage to get a preorder you'll get a unit, other retailers I'm not sure about.

I preordered a Wii U with zavvi back in the day, paid my money and never received a unit for example.

I think Smyths will probably be okay, being one of the few large shops still going.  Game too, but I wouldnt put it past them to enforce some hate-bundle where you end up having to buy a switch as well...

Seeing as you don't get charged up front I can see the logic in banging in a preorder so you have time to think about it and change your mind. Either that or people are expecting a scalpers paradise this Christmas, as if it's not expensive enough. 

It's super easy to wait this time. Thanks to the mid gen refresh I already have a machine that plays nicely with my 4K tv. It's not like last time when I saw the footage of Killzone and looked at my 360 and PS3, coughing their guts up to play ubisoft titles at 720p with screen tearing. 

I think the (now) substantial pricing difference between the disc and the digital version will really work to their advantage. 

They clearly want people to buy the digital because it locks then into digital sales and gives Sony a lot more power / revenue. So many people seem to be going for the digital version having justified the initial cost saving. It’s playing into their hands a bit but I get it. 

If I were in, which I’m not I would be more tempted with the digital as well as it’s just so much cheaper but I would be worried about the long term. 

I think I’m in for a Klarna X instead. 

7 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I also had to laugh at the fact that they had to add the word 'Console' to every exclusive title with the caveat that they're also available on PC.

I've just found out that this also applies to Horizon: Forbidden West as well. :lol:

Just now, Ry said:

Has it ever been mentioned if the PS5 will run PS4 Pro versions of games?

I mean surely they will yes. 

But Sony have been so tight with BC information I’m not sure it’s officially out there. 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • Pob unpinned this topic