PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

18 minutes ago, mushashi said:

They've got the cheque book open with their dev/publisher stimulus campaign, throwing the userbase a bone with a discount would be par for the course. An extra $50/user to lock in 100+ Million people would pay off long term.

So what you're saying is, If they throw the userbase a bone, the stock cooling for each SKU should allow them to make user retention gravy. BOM!

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Was it OG Xbox that had a badly timed price cut that led to them giving some freebies to early buyers?

About 8 weeks after launch.

I got Amped, PGR and a second pad as way of compensating.

14 minutes ago, Isaac said:

They have the games and the brand, they don't need to aggressively discount. 

All the reporting from Bloomberg over the months has been about how they can't really price it higher than $500. The PS4 had an estimated BOM of $381 at launch, they sold it  for $400 and took a loss, why would they not choose to do the same this time? The BOM should be dropping below $450 now as a result of the NAND/DRAM glut and lack of demand so I think $450 is well within the realms of plausibility.

At worst, they'll match Microsoft's pricing on the XSX. The pricing of the DE is the more interesting thing to watch, as they might choose to be aggressive with that model for strategic reasons.

Early adopters are worth giving a handjob to, they are the whales of the console business.

3 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Jim Ryan:

Like the Xbox Series X/S, I think the PS5 is going to be cheaper than most are expecting.

That's also not something you say if you think supply is going to be scarce.

We'll all know by Wednesday (hopefully).

How about £299/£399? Or do they only add £50 to the drive model, so £299/349? Or £349/399?

42 minutes ago, Steven said:

That's also not something you say if you think supply is going to scarce.

We'll all know by Wednesday (hopefully).

How about £299/£399? Or do they only add £50 to the drive model, so £299/349? Or £349/399?

£299 £399 for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Steven said:

I don't know (genuinely). It seems to be what everyone is saying, but does it? 

Yeah - you want everyone to buy the digital, so you give them the incentive, if it’s just 50 quid many will go for the pricier model because it offers way more value, £100 cheaper they’ll go for the digital / it’s also why I reckon that model will only be £50 dearer than Series S - 50 quid is impulse territory. 

Compared to Xbox Series S, PS5 digital has more and faster RAM, a much better GPU, a bigger hard drive, a faster hard drive and likely a more expensive controller as well. I don't see any possible way it comes in at £299. At least a £100 gap between the two machines

12 minutes ago, Majora said:

Compared to Xbox Series S, PS5 digital has more and faster RAM, a much better GPU, a bigger hard drive, a faster hard drive and likely a more expensive controller as well. I don't see any possible way it comes in at £299. At least a £100 gap between the two machines

I reckon Sony will take the hit knowing that they will sell 100 million+ of these things with software, services etc. to boot. It doesn’t matter how much its constituent components are actually worth, the average consumer knows nothing about that - it’s all about selling hard and selling fast. 

11 minutes ago, Majora said:

I think the same. 

I'm guessing £379 digital and £449 for full fat. 

If a PS5 leaves Manchester travelling south at a time equal to the Xbox Series S price, and a PS5 Digital Edition travels north by a number of miles equal to the price of the Xbox Series X minus the difference in teraflops...

I’m fully expecting £299 and £399 - would have been interesting what price it would have been had Sont announced their price first for once.

i also expect pre-orders to open before the 22nd, possibly by next Friday with release date matching Xbox

Hopefully we’ll get clarification that it’s fully backward compatible with the PS4. Looking forward to Wednesday!

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think they're saying MS are taking a loss on even the Series S, right? Possibly a bigger one than on the X.

Team £299 are living in cloud cuckoo land: hearts ruling heads. Sony will find it tough to hit £399, and I assume they will be aiming £379 -> £479 (or arguing that they’re True Next Gen and just going fuck it, while talking about the value proposition of their controller).

if it did launch at £299 I’d be buying one though.

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, that's my point - the PS5 is way higher spec than the Series S and even that is supposedly being sold at a loss. So the PS5 is gonna be very pricey, I think. 

Look at it from another POV - MS sells at £249 or £20 pm with Gamepass included, Sony starts lagging because they price theirs at £349 or £379, whatever, so they cost cut anyway to get back down to what MS are selling at, losing revenue and market share all the while - and MS gained ground. 

Sony have 40 million paid PS+ subscribers which they’ve worked hard over the last generation to secure - no way will they be prepared to give up that revenue for the sake of £50 or even £100 per console, they need to maintain their lead.  

Even if they did go £299 that’s still dearer than Series S but still easily within the realms of selling it as a value proposition over Series S in terms of brand recognition, software library, more powerful, etc. 

They didn’t drop the physical drive so they could save themselves a bit of cash on parts, they did it because digital only means MUCH greater revenue in the long term. 

£479

They’ll be selling as a premium product, no way it’s cheaper than that. No need for them to do so either......people want the Sony exclusives. They want to carry over their digital library.... they literally don’t Even need to try hard.

5 minutes ago, sid said:

£479

They’ll be selling as a premium product, no way it’s cheaper than that. No need for them to do so either......people want the Sony exclusives. They want to carry over their digital library.... they literally don’t Even need to try hard.

Worked for them with PS3 :unsure:

5 minutes ago, sid said:

People didn’t have a digital library then.

No they had a physical library. Tbh they can price the disc version wherever they like (within reason) the real battle ground will be fought over the lower tier models, how much do you think they’ll price the digital model at, unless that was what your £479 was aimed at? 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

No they had a physical library. Tbh they can price the disc version wherever they like (within reason) the real battle ground will be fought over the lower tier models, how much do you think they’ll price the digital model at, unless that was what your £479 was aimed at? 

£429

I think some people are getting far too carried away comparing the drive/digital PS5s to the Xbox variants. Both PS5s are Series X competitors on overall offer, power, components/manufacturing costs and market position, the drive is just about a bit of customer choice and a way to have a slightly lower barrier to entry if you aren't bothered about physical (and want a magically less fugly box). Sony don't have a direct Series S competitor at the moment and personally I think the chance of the digital one being anywhere near the Series S price point feels slim to daydreaming.

£399 absolute minimum for the digital I think. I hope I'm wrong though. :) 

18 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Worked for them with PS3 :unsure:

It literally did? They had outsold the 360 by the end of the generation and they were never behind by much.

Sony have literally never sold a launch console cheaply, and never will. Even if they launch at £599 they’ll still sell to their loyal fans and will pick up everyone else later in the generation, as they always do. Sony’s early PS4 marketing was more coherent than the Xbox One, but even if it wasn’t they’d have stuck to the same pricing strategy. 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic