PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

1 minute ago, cubik said:

The quick resume demo that MS did a few days ago was very impressive. Hopefully PS5 will have something similar, if it doesn't it'll feel dated from day one.

As for driving games, maybe they'll announce a 4K 120 FPS remastered version of the tutorial level from Driver.

A photo realistic underground car park with ray traced puddles. It looks nice but you can't get out of it.

graffiti on the walls: get gud.

5 minutes ago, cubik said:

Apologies to @Gigawatt, I didn't realise the All Access deal was a way to buy the console from MS over 24 months. I thought he meant software only.

In that case, I totally agree it would be a no brainer for a lot of people.

No worries, I think Sony need something to counter what at the moment looks like a stonkingly good value offer from Microsoft on many fronts. 

4 minutes ago, footle said:

It’d be funny, but they’ve not announced anything that even sounds like quick resume. Probably because they have a relatively small SSD for 4K.

They haven’t really announced anything about how the system actually works yet, but I’d hope they’ve at least seen what Microsoft are doing and are going to copy it. I know nothing about software or programming, but I assume that as long as there is 16GB of free space on the SSD it should be possible to dump the game state to it? Excuse my ignorance if that’s completely wrong.  

The whole services/all access thing is a big differentiator so it’ll be interesting to see how well it works for MS. AFAIK there are currently 10 million game pass subscribers whereas Sony only have about 2 million PS Now subscribers, but 40 million paid PS+ so there’s clearly room for them to leverage PS Now if they need to but I guess they’ll leave things as they are for now - if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. All access has been a thing in the states for some time now so it must have been pretty successful for them to roll it out to more countries. 

7 minutes ago, footle said:

sony don’t care about this genre.

Driveclub was amazing. Yes is it had dodgy a launch but was quickly remedied and is probably my favourite racing game of this gen. A very worthy PGR successor.

Obviously Sony then binned it (which is still a travesty) so you may well be right nowadays. :( 

Game pass is like a normal store in that you download and play it as opposed to the PS Now streaming model.

I wonder if Sony will eventually re-evaluate PS Now and turn it into a "download and play" scheme like Game pass? Obviously older titles would need the PS5 to run an emulator but surely it'd have enough power to do that whilst also upscaling etc.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, cubik said:

I wonder if Sony will eventually re-evaluate PS Now and turn it into a "download and play" scheme like Game pass?

They already have for the PS4 titles, have they not?

3 minutes ago, cubik said:

Game pass is like a normal store in that you download and play it as opposed to the PS Now streaming model.

I wonder if Sony will eventually re-evaluate PS Now and turn it into a "download and play" scheme like Game pass? Obviously older titles would need the PS5 to run an emulator but surely it'd have enough power to do that whilst also upscaling etc.

spacer.png

You can download PS4 games and play them on your PS4 (and I’d imagine, PS5)as well as stream PS1,2,3 & 4. 

(actually I don’t there are any PS1 games, and I think PS2 could also be downloadable)

38 minutes ago, footle said:

dangerous driving, dangerous driving 2, hotshots racing, forza horizon 4.

sony don’t care about this genre.

What about Motor Toon Grand Prix 3 as an insta-download bonus for pre-ordering Gran Turismo 7 though, eh? EH?!

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm hoping that for PS5, it'll have enough oomph to allow all previous gen titles to be downloaded and played locally. No streaming, loss of fidelity, latency issues.

Just 5 gens of PS in one massive white weird shaped box.

50 minutes ago, footle said:

It’d be funny, but they’ve not announced anything that even sounds like quick resume. Probably because they have a relatively small SSD for 4K.

Haven’t they already said Miles Morales loads from scratch in under 2 seconds? With the speed of that SSD then any kind of loading is going to be quick. 

I think PS5 might not have quick resume, at least beyond single games. A game preview leaked an “Activities” feature where you just launch to a specific race, raid, mission or whatever from a dynamically-updating list on the console home screen. Sort of a copy of the game menu that lives in the PS5 OS. That seems like a storage-light alternative for the same overall goal.

But they did announce ages ago that it had an ultra-low-power version of the PS5 sleep mode which seems to be just hibernating to the SSD and turning off he power. So you’ll see benefits there.

32 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

What about Motor Toon Grand Prix 3 as an insta-download bonus for pre-ordering Gran Turismo 7 though, eh? EH?!

You should pitch that. They‘ll have a couple of years to develop it before GT7 preorders will open

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

This is PSNow’s biggest problem. They marketed the heck out of it as a clout service, gave it a name that perfectly suits that, and kind of quietly added the ability to play PS4 games all-you-can-eat, I guess because it already did PS3 titles that way, and never actually communicated the change to people. It needs a rebrand and possibly a new name. 

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

This is PSNow’s biggest problem. They marketed the heck out of it as a clout service, gave it a name that perfectly suits that, and kind of quietly added the ability to play PS4 games all-you-can-eat, I guess because it already did PS3 titles that way, and never actually communicated the change to people. It needs a rebrand and possibly a new name. 

You're absolutely right - Up until half an hour ago when my post about it got replies, I thought it was streaming only.

I genuinely didn't know the PS4 games on it could be downloaded and played locally.

54 minutes ago, Stanley said:

You can download PS4 games and play them on your PS4 (and I’d imagine, PS5)as well as stream PS1,2,3 & 4. 

(actually I don’t there are any PS1 games, and I think PS2 could also be downloadable)

PS2 Classics are downloadable as they're they're effectively PS4 files (I believe they use an emulator). You're correct in thinking there aren't any PS1 games. PS3 games can only be streamed.

I’ve never bothered with PSNow, originally because I didn’t think my internet would be good enough for the streaming and I wasn’t going to enter my credit card details to access the trial. Does Now allow you to play online on those titles that support it without PsPlus?

After they added downloads I would have been more interested, except I’d already bought most of the big games they were advertising. Looking at it now, there could be just as many, if not more games than Game Pass? And I know most of those are streaming only, but Sony should really be pushing it much harder. 

By this point I must sound like a broken record/repeating Spotify playlist, but if Sony could fold in the benefits of Plus while doing something huge like adding all their first-party PS4 games (which they aren’t making any more of so presumably have had their sales peak) they would potentially have a better service than Game Pass. 

I can’t see them committing to launch new first-party games on the service as that’s clearly their strength that they’d want to profit from, but maybe they could have a year to 18 month window before adding them in, which probably wouldn’t affect sales too much?

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

They still not announced this? £399, £299, sticking with that. 

5 hours ago, Pug said:

It'll be the same price as Series X for disc drive, £449 and £299 for digital only where they can recoup with digital sales.

5 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Now that MS have played their card?

Come on Sony.     All Digital model  229.99   Full Fat Model £429.99

All three of you are smoking some seriously strong juju if you think Sony are selling an all-digital PS5 for less than £349.

£229?! Are you high?!!

My cousin's dog's sister who knows a guy who works with an apple a horse belonging to my mate's uncle ate told me those prices. 

I've no reason to disbelieve him. 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

I think PS5 might not have quick resume, at least beyond single games. A game preview leaked an “Activities” feature where you just launch to a specific race, raid, mission or whatever from a dynamically-updating list on the console home screen. Sort of a copy of the game menu that lives in the PS5 OS. That seems like a storage-light alternative for the same overall goal.

It's not really the same goal - "nigh on instant resume of multiple games where you left off".

What it is is the kind of thing that might be really good for an arcade driving game^ - share/publish time trials to your mates, to appear in their OS without having to go through twenty menus. Less useful for the likes of Spiderman and Demon Souls.

(You could also see it being good for the likes of Dreams.)

^ To choose a genre, unrepresented in the assumed launch titles, at random.

I could see Godfall turning out decent, but it definitely hasn't shown well so far. The latest trailer is better, although I'm still not a fan of the gaudy visual style:

My pick for surprise PS5 hit would be Destruction AllStars. I could see Destruction Derby mixed with Titanfall gaining some traction with streamers, and the studio making it was made up of a bunch of ex-Bizarre Creations people; no idea if that holds true.

7 hours ago, Ferine said:

I could see Godfall turning out decent, but it definitely hasn't shown well so far. The latest trailer is better, although I'm still not a fan of the gaudy visual style:

No one can say that isn't a next gen game now.

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

No one can say that isn't a next gen game now.

It’s a good thing that it’s not being held back by the constraints of simultaneous development for the PS3.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic