PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Mark Cerny: “PlayStation five will cost four hundred and “

Obviously Not Mark Cerny: “forty”

Mark Cerny: “nine dollars when it is launched on”

Obviously Not Mark Cerny: “November”

A Third Person For Some Reason: “ninth”.

3 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

With PS4 they were more powerful and cheaper, and they've "lost" on one of those fronts. Surely they have to be lower than 449.

Yes but more surely they have to make money - the dont have nearly limitless ability to take losses like microsoft.

2 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

With PS4 they were more powerful and cheaper, and they've "lost" on one of those fronts. Surely they have to be lower than 449.

I think they'll push the faster SSD and more advanced controller as pluses, and argue that the console's strange boost architecture makes direct spec comparisons difficult. If the Dual Sense costs £70 or something ridiculous that'll perversely help support their case.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

V1 and V2 compatible

heres V3 (it’s wireless)

or something (new (Optional) move controllers)

To be honest I'd be happy with "we have some really exciting things happening with PSVR and we can't wait to share them with you in 2022".

Then I at least know I can drop some cash on a V2 and not feel screwed over when they launch V3 in February or something.

7 minutes ago, bumgut said:

Yes but more surely they have to make money - the dont have nearly limitless ability to take losses like microsoft.

That being the case why did Microsoft position Xbox One at £429? 

Simple answer: Microsoft doesn't have a limitless ability to absorb losses. They have deeper pockets than Sony but not by orders of magnitude; this assumption that they'd throw money down the drain to cut the Series X and Series S launch prices was always extremely dubious, borne out by launch prices which are in line with analyst expectations.

I’m sure Satya’s given Phil Spencer a hefty pile of cash for his division but it still has to turn a profit at some point. Microsoft’s market cap doesn’t mean that their shareholders will be happy with Xbox throwing money into a black hole forever. The old ‘infinite warchest’ argument has always seemed extremely dubious to me and belies a fundamental misunderstanding of how large businesses operate.

9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Market cap isn't something I'd reach for when I wanted to figure out how much money a company has on hand.

Precisely my point, but I see the relative size of Microsoft in comparison to Sony used repeatedly as a reason for them to be able to run the Xbox division as some sort of charity for gamers.

Having said that their pricing is pretty aggressive and getting Game Pass off the ground will be costing a pretty penny so it’ll hopefully keep Sony on their toes if nothing else.

3 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Precisely my point, but I see the relative size of Microsoft in comparison to Sony used repeatedly as a reason for them to be able to run the Xbox division as some sort of charity for gamers.

Having said that their pricing is pretty aggressive and getting Game Pass off the ground will be costing a pretty penny so it’ll hopefully keep Sony on their toes if nothing else.

Sony can be pretty aggressive with pricing too, see the original PlayStation and of course PS4, they also have sales figures for hardware and software that support it unlike MS who’ve never hit anywhere near the figures Sony have, such as a console that has sold 100m units - Sony have had three out of four do that. 

The point there is that Sony does have room to manoeuvre, then again their market position might be enough for them to dismiss outright MS’ current bullish position. 

I still think they’ll go in hard and undercut Series X. 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic