PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

4 hours ago, Broker said:

This is the other thing, one of my son’s friends wasn’t allowed to play any games or watch any non Disney movies until he was about 12, he ended up left out of everything, unable to join in conversations etc.

That's exactly what I was thinking of, because we had kids like that in my day. Only not with games, since they were too new. It was stuff like Aliens. But what's nice is that I don't feel it shortened my childhood; I could watch RoboCop and go straight out on my skateboard doing ‘Help me!’ impressions.

My worry now would be that kids don't seem to have as much physical play as we used to, and for sure we sometimes needed that to cool down after some fraught Nintendo World Cup. (When someone's mum had to adjudicate on taking it in turns with the crap pad.)

2 hours ago, Broker said:

This is the other thing, one of my son’s friends wasn’t allowed to play any games or watch any non Disney movies until he was about 12, he ended up left out of everything, unable to join in conversations etc. His mum is having a lot of problems now because when she tries to stop him playing games he gets extremely aggressive and says she’s trying to stop him having friends, and she’s really worried about all the weird adults he’s playing with and talking to online because he doesn’t have any friends at school.

I’ve got the opposite perspective though, as me and my ex split up when my eldest was 2 I never had to discuss this with anyone, and it never occurred to me that it might be a problem. They both sat on my lap playing games from the minute they had the manual dexterity to hold a controller because I wanted someone to play Mario Kart with. 

My Son's been playing from about the same age, they're only kids for a little while, let them do what makes them happy in my opinion.

It was quite awkward when my wife got called into speak to the teacher because my son drew a picture of a soldier cutting a monster in half with a chainsaw because of Gears of War :lol:

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

My daughter is 6. It wasn’t really until this year she’s shown much interest in games. I tried to get her to play Mario a year or 2 ago, but she didn’t have the dexterity really.

We gave her a 2DS at Xmas but it’s not until the last month or so she’s played it much, she’s playing Pokemon on her own. I’ve think the fact she can read it helps a lot mind.

Between the form factor and the giant number of cheap used games in CEX and the like, the 2DS is a hell of a first console right now.

14 hours ago, gooner4life said:

It was quite awkward when my wife got called into speak to the teacher because my son drew a picture of a soldier cutting a monster in half with a chainsaw because of Gears of War :lol:

Called in for that? I was a right little psycho. Used to watch all the WWII films on Sunday afternoons and draw planes covered in (weirdly proud to say) properly drawn swastikas getting blown up or bombing stuff. I blame the Airfix Heinkel I was bought at an impressionable age that came with all the transfers. 

18 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Referencing the peer pressure thing though... my mate's son is 6 coming on 7 and apparently most of his mates are already all over Fornite. Feels a bit young but the world has changed I suppose.

I was pretty careful about what games I let them play, I don’t think they’d touched any games with guns in until Fortnite came out and they were 11 and 9 at that point. They mostly played Nintendo stuff before that.

5 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I have got kids. But I’m getting the PS5 just for me.... muuhahaha..

They’ll benefit from having games though. My kids friends seem baffled by me having so many games because I’m ten years younger than most of the other parents. They have my hundreds of games to play whenever they want to. I still remember the day my son asked me if I could buy him Captain Toad and I was all “already ordered it made”. 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Showcase Wednesday, September 16 at 9pm

So, price and date at the very start or the very end? Going to be one or the other.

Roughly 40 minutes long, then. Not sure how much new stuff they'll be able to cram in around another half-hour of Godfall, but I'm guessing we'll see some 'maybe in 2022' teases, like GoW: Subtitle or a new Naughty Dog IP.

To be honest I'm more curious about things like the UI, service changes, backwards compatibility and the hardware teardown, which will properly be separate videos at a later date. Looking forward to seeing Demon's Souls, though.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I want to see the launch line up, I want DeS goodness, I want the price, I want the date, I want the pre-orders open yesterday. Bonus: I want surprise full BC announcement

All the above and I want some news about the future of PSVR

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

All the above and I want some news about the future of PSVR

V1 and V2 compatible

heres V3 (it’s wireless)

or something (new (Optional) move controllers)

2 hours ago, Popo said:

You’ve got to wonder if this thing was stepped up at short notice, otherwise it would have perhaps clashed with MS’ original schedule. 

They've probably had the whole show ready to go for weeks, apart from the final 2 minutes where they've changed a number.

2 hours ago, yashiro said:

The surprise is it plays a boot up jingle that sounds like ye olde PS1.  

My PS4 does that thanks to the 20th Anniversary theme, so that would be the least exciting of the surprises. 

On 10/09/2020 at 11:32, Dudley said:

I'm guessing you mean the PS1 -> PS2 generation where they were helped by Sega dropping out and Microsoft being new.

And even then they had a go, remember "Toy Story in real time!"?

There has been 2 successful back-to-back wins in home consoles over the years.

Nintendo with the original Famicom/NES held on with a reduced margin of victory with the Super Famicom/SNES.

Sony did it with the original PlayStation and increased their margin of victory with the PS2.

Depending on how you classify the Nintendo Switch in terms of generations, we might get to see somebody repeat it this upcoming home console generation.

On 10/09/2020 at 10:42, Broker said:

I’m really interested to see what happens if Sony manage to ride out the time until release without doing anything fucking crazy. There’s literally only one generation ever where the previous leader didn’t freak out and do something insane. I really want to know if you can maintain a lead in the generational transition just by not being idiots but the games industry won’t let me find out.

Given how the previous 2 back-to-back wins were achieved, seems the route to victory is bigger,better,more unless the tastes of the market have changed that drastically in the last 15 years.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic