PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

3 hours ago, yashiro said:

Getting a bit bored of people's price guessing posts, man. Can we move on to launch line-up posts instead?

I think the main launch game will just be a rotating £449 in the air that you have to shoot.

3 hours ago, Theholyhogg said:

Will the ps5 and the series x have the power to run games at 120fps at a lower resolution??

I was recently playing ni no kuni remastered on the pro and it has two modes.One in 4k 30fps and the other was 1080 60 fps .after switching between the two it is absolutely the frame rate i want higher and not the resolution.it felt a million times smoother.

Given MS claim the Pauperbox will do 1440p in 120fps you'd hope a full fat PS5 could do it.

Because if it can't, the Series S is going to have issues.

5 hours ago, JoeK said:

Honestly, the price differential for me means nothing.

If I can only play the new Naughty Dog game on a PS5 then I’ll buy one regardless. Every console I’ve ever purchased has been on the back of certain games I’ve wanted to play rather than the perceived value proposition.

I concede that I may not account for the majority of the buying public though...but I couldn’t really say even that for definite these days! 

Same here, it depends on which machine has the game I want to play on it. I remember thinking I'd never bother with the original XB and spent much of that Christmas tracking down an NTSC machine and Halo after it caught everyone unaware. I've preordered a PS5 but that's in case of DS being out around launch. If not, I'll probably cancel and get one a bit later.

6 hours ago, Ferine said:

Miles Morales, Ratchet and Demon's Souls all have performance/60fps modes. Sackboy, Astro and GT7 are 60fps by default. Don't know about Destruction AllStars or Returnal, but I think higher framerates (or at least the option for them) will be a lot more common now the consoles have good CPUs.

I expect 120fps to be pretty rare, if only because a single figure percentile of the audience will be able to make use of them; even if people have a 4K TV, there's a good chance it won't support 120Hz. Largely the domain of fighting and racing games, I imagine.

Seems like COD multiplayer will run at 120fps: https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/10/120fps-ray-tracing-call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-ps5-and-xbox-series-x-s-13251406/

Although I'm not entirely sure why they bothered...

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Same here, it depends on which machine has the game I want to play on it. I remember thinking I'd never bother with the original XB and spent much of that Christmas tracking down an NTSC machine and Halo after it caught everyone unaware. I've preordered a PS5 but that's in case of DS being out around launch. If not, I'll probably cancel and get one a bit later.

Em, where did you preorder a PS5?

40 minutes ago, Ry said:

Em, where did you preorder a PS5?

Put in an order at Shopto. They've sent me a preorder number and will charge my card on sending it out. This will obviously be down to when and how many they get. I've found them to be really reliable over the years with launches, so I'll just get it when they send it. Like I said, if DS isn't on the horizon, I'll likely cancel.

36 minutes ago, Steven said:

Put in an order at Shopto. They've sent me a preorder number and will charge my card on sending it out. This will obviously be down to when and how many they get. I've found them to be really reliable over the years with launches, so I'll just get it when they send it. Like I said, if DS isn't on the horizon, I'll likely cancel.

Ah cool, I registered with them but got nothing back. 

32 minutes ago, Ry said:

Ah cool, I registered with them but got nothing back. 

Strange, I have an order number and 24 hr shipping details - no price yet, obviously.

Do you have an account with them?

28 minutes ago, Steven said:

Strange, I have an order number and 24 hr shipping details - no price yet, obviously.

Do you have an account with them?

Yes, plus I filled in the pre-registration form a few weeks ago. 

2 hours ago, Steven said:

I spoke to them a week ago and they told me in no uncertain terms that their pre-orders are not preorders - just registers of interest. I have an order number too - but it just means they will send you an email when they know more. I think they are expecting shortages as the guy I spoke to was very off and had clearly been asked the same question 25 times already that day.

Clearly, as any other supplier, they don't have any idea what is going to happen, pre order/ place in a queue - they will take my money when they send me one. If they don't have any they obviously can't. I've basically said, when you get your supply, I'd like to buy one off you. They have given me a number, which obviously means that they are cool with this. Sony could have two consoles ready between now and next April, I get that. Short of Shopto never getting any supply of them, I think I'll be ok in the long run.

6 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Another image.

image.png.b08bf00fea9fa7552030872f20968743.png

And that's the X version. On the S...

Buddy.gif

I stopped using ShopTo after they refused to cancel my PS4 preorder a fortnight before launch. They said to reject delivery for a refund. And they used to sell European games with barcodes that didn't scan if you tried to sell them to retailers.

£399 and £479! I don't think the PS5 has much to worry about from the X, but the S could easily become its main rival. I'd rather have a PS5 once we're up in the 400s, and I think that's a really common view, but the S is a complementary console that gives Microsoft another shot at those lost X sales, while serving as the only choice for those wanting an old-school affordable option.

12 hours ago, Droo said:

I hope to see it ship with a Demo1 disc...

Demo 5 surely.

10 hours ago, Escaped said:

I stopped using ShopTo after they refused to cancel my PS4 preorder a fortnight before launch. They said to reject delivery for a refund. And they used to sell European games with barcodes that didn't scan if you tried to sell them to retailers.

They also had an "If it gets damaged in transit, tough" policy, as several people with wrecked Amiibo found out to the extent they explicitly put this on the Amiibo pages.

That said, when I did use them, stuff arrived on time.

On 10/09/2020 at 14:43, gospvg said:

You are missing out so much by not having a Switch. So much Nintendo goodness to enjoy.

I've steered clear as the switch would be too tempting for my eldest.  We've been keeping him away from games for as long as possible so he doesn't eschew traditional toys too early.    We're probably only in the final year/months of that now, but to keep the peace with the wife i'm not going to try to speed that up.  Plus the younger brother will want to get involved with what the older one is doing and before we know it we'd have a kid trying to play consoles before he's 3.  Obviously a switch would be the perfect thing for the eldest when the time comes, and then i'll get the benefit by stealing it off him from time to time :)

10 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

We've been keeping him away from games for as long as possible so he doesn't eschew traditional toys too early.  

That’s interesting, why do you want to do that? Aren’t you worried you’ll accidentally make them more interesting and exciting to him? I wasn’t really allowed any games until I was 11, and had them majorly limited until I was 14, and now I play way more than any of my friends who had unlimited access. 

I have an 8yo daughter and 3yo son, I play games in front of them - neither one is the slightest bit interested in playing themselves. I wish they would be a bit more tbh, so I’d have someone to play with lol.

I'm sure it's bias, but I got into games when I was about 9 and think it was a perfect age. I was still young enough for my imagination to make up for 8-bit graphics, and old enough for the rewards of devising tactics and solving puzzles. If I had kids I'd buy them games if their friends had them and that were their culture, otherwise I'd wait until they were 7+ ideally.

Re: the 8-bit thing, though, it's quite hard to imagine how it must feel to have today's graphics as an introduction. I don't think many modern games have the immediacy of those I first played, and that was a huge part of their appeal to me.

1 hour ago, Escaped said:

If I had kids I'd buy them games if their friends had them and that were their culture

This is the other thing, one of my son’s friends wasn’t allowed to play any games or watch any non Disney movies until he was about 12, he ended up left out of everything, unable to join in conversations etc. His mum is having a lot of problems now because when she tries to stop him playing games he gets extremely aggressive and says she’s trying to stop him having friends, and she’s really worried about all the weird adults he’s playing with and talking to online because he doesn’t have any friends at school.

I’ve got the opposite perspective though, as me and my ex split up when my eldest was 2 I never had to discuss this with anyone, and it never occurred to me that it might be a problem. They both sat on my lap playing games from the minute they had the manual dexterity to hold a controller because I wanted someone to play Mario Kart with. 

I've introduced my 4yo to gaming but in very small amounts just to avoid him getting too crazy (when he first discovered the iPad it became a point of friction for a while). I use it as a bit of treat when his Mum is out and we are having a boys day together and we might do 20 minutes or so of something like Abzu or Journey. I am considering getting him a Switch fairly soon though as I think he'd love it and I can use it myself.

Referencing the peer pressure thing though... my mate's son is 6 coming on 7 and apparently most of his mates are already all over Fornite. Feels a bit young but the world has changed I suppose.

My daughter is 6. It wasn’t really until this year she’s shown much interest in games. I tried to get her to play Mario a year or 2 ago, but she didn’t have the dexterity really.

We gave her a 2DS at Xmas but it’s not until the last month or so she’s played it much, she’s playing Pokemon on her own. I’ve think the fact she can read it helps a lot mind.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic