PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

I’m really interested to see what happens if Sony manage to ride out the time until release without doing anything fucking crazy. There’s literally only one generation ever where the previous leader didn’t freak out and do something insane. I really want to know if you can maintain a lead in the generational transition just by not being idiots but the games industry won’t let me find out.

Must admit, I've always been a big sony fan boy but with the service that Microsoft are offering this time around i'm finding it hard to justify sticking with PS unless they have something good in the works. Now I have a daughter that's eating into my income I know I'm going to find I have less disposable income in the future and something like having game pass accessible on my pc and my xbox is looking mightily appealing at the moment.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

I think it depends on how you consume the media. I know that personally my gaming habits are very different from my viewing habits. I generally only play one game at a time, often for months on end, whereas I’ll regularly watch two or three things on Netflix in one evening. I do almost all my gaming online with friends or alone, where I’ll much more frequently watch TV and movies with my girlfriend or kids. I’m also much less likely to do research beyond watching a single trailer for things I watch, where most games I buy I’ll have read/watched reviews and gameplay. 

Because of these factors, Netflix having a wide selection of random things I haven’t considered before is a big bonus, but Gamepass is largely useless to me. The investment of time is just completely different, and because it’s functionally impossible for me to play more than a one long game in a month I don’t really feel the need to have access to hundreds of games whatever the cost is. I’m also much more likely to replay games than rewatch things, and don’t watch any things which carry on forever whereas I play a lot of games that are theoretically infinite in length. 

I just don’t need Gamepass’ volume in the same way I do Netflix’s. I understand the theoretical advantages of the model but they don’t align with how I consume the media. I know there’s a lot of people here who play loads of games, and I see that if you were buying several games a month before it existed Gamepass is a crazy value proposition. But for me, my girlfriend, my kids, my friends and most of my kids friends it just isn’t necessary no matter how cheap it looks on paper, because there’s a good chance we’re just going to be playing the same thing we did yesterday in a way that’s just not the same on Netflix. 

Sure, it all depends on your gaming habits, but the great thing about GamePass is that it adds lots of new indie games to the service, which tend to be much shorter in length (and honestly more interesting than most of the AAA games they add to the service).

The past month alone I've completed Carrion, The Touryst and am playing Tell Me Why - all available day 1 on GamePass and all just a few hours long. Given the average indie title costs about 15-20 quid these days, even if all you ever got out of the service was completing a couple of relatively short new indie games a month it's still good value relative to buying them.

48 minutes ago, Broker said:

I’m really interested to see what happens if Sony manage to ride out the time until release without doing anything fucking crazy. There’s literally only one generation ever where the previous leader didn’t freak out and do something insane. I really want to know if you can maintain a lead in the generational transition just by not being idiots but the games industry won’t let me find out.

I'm guessing you mean the PS1 -> PS2 generation where they were helped by Sega dropping out and Microsoft being new.

And even then they had a go, remember "Toy Story in real time!"?

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

24k gaming makes the S with it's paltry 1440p look even weaker

What get me with that Gold PS5, aside from who the fuck would want one, is that they couldn't even be bothered to size the picture properly.  Aside from it being a total scam fleece rich idiots, that makes me immediately think it's an actual scam and they'll do a runner with the first 8k they receive.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

They still have to announce the price:ph34r: 

There's a precedent:ph34r: 

There's a way:ph34r:

4 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I still think £499 for the lumpy lump and 399 or 449 for the bobby digital. I don't think they need to go any lower to sell out and be a massive success.

I dunno. I think the success of the PS4 partly due to the fact it was cheaper AND more powerful.

11 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I dunno. I think the success of the PS4 partly due to the fact it was cheaper AND more powerful.

Yeah it's going to be a tough sell going for a higher price for a 'weaker' machine - I suspect £449 or £429 for the Disk version and £399 or £349 for the digital. Given MS pricing I suspect Sony will like MS swallow a bigger loss this gen.

I was cogitating on this today and I'm inclined to agree. I'm wondering if they will go for a replacement strategy and put the PS5 digital at $399 to be the same as the PS4 Pro launch price. They could then spin that as a generational replacement (and say the future is digital) as they are already clearly going down the route of saying it isn't all about power this time around, it's all about the haptics man. ;) Then maybe put something like $449 for the full fat with the drive for those people stuck in the old ways (like me).

I know some people think there will be $100 difference between drive/no drive but I can't see it being that much personally (based on exactly no science and a gut feeling).

If they could squeeze that further and pop the full fat in at $399 I think it would be a nice little sweet spot for them between the Xbox models and give them room to mitigate the "less powerful" issue marketing wise, but I just can't see them getting that hardware under $400 without taking a big old hit in the financial danglies.

1 minute ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I know some people think there will be $100 difference between drive/no drive but I can't see it being that much personally (based on exactly no science and a gut feeling).

The £100 differential is already there regarding the ridiculous gold model.  

Just now, Kevvy Metal said:

That’s quite likely to just be a guess though. 

What kind of a piece of shit outfit nickel and dimes you over a £8000 console mod anyway?

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Probably to take into account the additional gold needed to cover that whacking bump on the disc drive version.

4 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

yeah, because the price of the underlying console is the determining factor as to how that third party modification is marketed and priced?!

i mean, if we were just applying a standard percentage based markup on the console price to get from £500 and £500+x to £8000 and £8100... x would be £6.25.

PS5 Digital at £500! PS5 Full £506.25!

i have proved it with the power of maths.

(£400->£405, btw).

Honestly, the price differential for me means nothing.

If I can only play the new Naughty Dog game on a PS5 then I’ll buy one regardless. Every console I’ve ever purchased has been on the back of certain games I’ve wanted to play rather than the perceived value proposition.

I concede that I may not account for the majority of the buying public though...but I couldn’t really say even that for definite these days! 

If we're doing daft theories, they will be £399 and £449.  The big one would have been £499 but they move to match MS, minimising a planned £100 gap.

If they're brave it'll still be $399/$499.

This has an equal chance of everyone else of being true :D

Will the ps5 and the series x have the power to run games at 120fps at a lower resolution??

I was recently playing ni no kuni remastered on the pro and it has two modes.One in 4k 30fps and the other was 1080 60 fps .after switching between the two it is absolutely the frame rate i want higher and not the resolution.it felt a million times smoother.

Sony - "oh fuck it, we're taking such a hair cut anyway, perhaps we just drop the digital edition and release the full fat version at "

"EVERY PS5 COMES WITH A DISK DRIVE SO YOU CAN STILL SWAP YOUR GAMES BY JUST HANDING OVER"

Sony win the generation again.

Just now, Theholyhogg said:

Will the ps5 and the series x have the power to run games at 120fps at a lower resolution??

I was recently playing ni no kuni 2 on the pro and it has two modes.One in 4k 30fps and the other was 1080 60 fps .after switching between the two it is absolutely the frame rate i want higher and not the resolution.it felt a million times smoother.

Microsoft are pushing this hard: they're demoing games at >60fps.

Sony, not so much. You don't get all the next-gen shinies that way

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Honestly, the price differential for me means nothing.

If I can only play the new Naughty Dog game on a PS5 then I’ll buy one regardless. Every console I’ve ever purchased has been on the back of certain games I’ve wanted to play rather than the perceived value proposition.

I concede that I may not account for the majority of the buying public though...but I couldn’t really say even that for definite these days! 

This is the key for me.  Even when the Sony machine is less powerful, you don't notice it in the big tent-pole exclusives.  Actually the opposite - the late-gen Sony exclusives have been the best looking games around, regardless of the 1X's slight power advantage.

The problem this last gen for MS is once they had the power they still didn't have any exclusive games to use it.  I thought they'd launch the series X with a load of evidence that they'd learnt their lessons, but they didn't.  Gamepass fare will not tend to be taxing enough to warrant cutting edge tech.  That's why I'm quite looking forward to picking up a cheap series S to use on a small TV for games where it's not about the massive audio-visual experience.

I have total confidence that the Sony studios who cracked out my favourite games of this generation will be similarly succesful the next.  On the other hand at no point did i look sidewards and see a Halo, Gears or Forza game that made me feel like I was in any way missing out.  And if I pick up a cheap series S then i'll be able to sample those anyway, albeit not in their absolute prime - but that doesn't bother me as they're not the games i'm interested in.

PS5 and a Series S it is for me.  Which is a win for both, because i've made it through all of this generation with only a PS4.

21 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

I was recently playing ni no kuni remastered on the pro and it has two modes.One in 4k 30fps and the other was 1080 60 fps .after switching between the two it is absolutely the frame rate i want higher and not the resolution.it felt a million times smoother.

Miles Morales, Ratchet and Demon's Souls all have performance/60fps modes. Sackboy, Astro and GT7 are 60fps by default. Don't know about Destruction AllStars or Returnal, but I think higher framerates (or at least the option for them) will be a lot more common now the consoles have good CPUs.

I expect 120fps to be pretty rare, if only because a single figure percentile of the audience will be able to make use of them; even if people have a 4K TV, there's a good chance it won't support 120Hz. Largely the domain of fighting and racing games, I imagine.

19 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

PS5 and a Series S it is for me.  Which is a win for both, because i've made it through all of this generation with only a PS4.

You are missing out so much by not having a Switch. So much Nintendo goodness to enjoy.

55 minutes ago, gospvg said:

You are missing out so much by not having a Switch. So much Nintendo goodness to enjoy.

Funnily enough I'm considering spending the £200 saving I'll be making on a Series S over the X on a Switch Lite as it happens. My 4yo has literally just decided he is interested but his hands are too small for the normal pads and the games for his age are sparse on the main consoles, plus I would finally get to play of those Switch exclusives I've been wanting to try.

1 hour ago, yashiro said:

Getting a bit bored of people's price guessing posts, man. Can we move on to launch line-up posts instead?

I'm hoping for that long awaited sequal to Genji. Now with multiple Giant Enemy Crustaceans of all types thanks to the power of the PS5 SSD.

42 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Funnily enough I'm considering spending the £200 saving I'll be making on a Series S over the X on a Switch Lite as it happens. My 4yo has literally just decided he is interested but his hands are too small for the normal pads and the games for his age are sparse on the main consoles, plus I would finally get to play of those Switch exclusives I've been wanting to try.

Ooh, lmk how you get on as that is the plan for my 4 year old. She loves playing on the ds4 pad but hands not quite big enough so hard work at times and also really wants to play AC and Mario etc. So was thinking Switch Lite but maybe another year so she can read it all? 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic