PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

7 hours ago, Alex W. said:

MGSV: The Definitive Experience (which includes all the DLC and Ground Zeroes) is routinely £6.50, and now seems to be alternating months at £16 and £4:

https://psprices.com/region-gb/game/966070/metal-gear-solid-v-the-definitive-experience

I get the argument in principle that fewer places to buy games means fewer ways to cut prices, but the only games I've paid full price for on PS4 were digital exclusives I wanted on launch day.

The problem for me was that I was playing on an Xbox, where my digital options were thirty-odd and sixteen in a sale. If playing on digital those were my options. The alternating month thing is also just irritating when it's a five year old game that's consistently cheap elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Steven said:

The problem for me was that I was playing on an Xbox, where my digital options were thirty-odd and sixteen in a sale. If playing on digital those were my options.

And of course, playing 'for free' on game pass. You can't ignore that option. If your argument is "but *I* didn't have a subscription back then before it left gp", well that's just a good argument in favor of subscribing sooner than later.

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

And of course, playing 'for free' on game pass. You can't ignore that option. If your argument is "but *I* didn't have a subscription back then before it left gp", well that's just a good argument in favor of subscribing sooner than later.

I did have a subscription though, I downloaded it in two sessions and it asked me if I owned the game when I was done. I checked and found out it had left GP.

6 hours ago, pinholestar said:

But the notion that with a couple of tweets Microsoft have pulled the rug from under Sony’s feet and they never saw it coming? Nah

Yeah, I suspect that at best Sony will have had a lower and a higher price point in mind beforehand. The lower one still being acceptable to them. At best Microsoft's price megaton will make them decide on the lower one, but it won't cause panic leading to crazy pricing of the digital PS5. I would welcome it of course, because I want to buy one. But on brand strength alone PS5 will sell out on launch regardless, even without taking their incredible first party output into account. As others have said though, it benefits all of us regardless of which of the two platforms we buy, that Microsoft puts up a better fight than last time.

7 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Personally I'm fine with all this. I was always going to lean towards a PS5 based on the exclusive IP available (and the option of VR). The difference is whereas I had consigned myself to just sticking with my Xbox One for now (or picking up a refurb One X unit) the aggressive pricing has really made me consider dropping another £250 on a Series S to have as a decent upgrade for what is essentially now my dedicated Game Pass machine. I suppose you could say from their perspective they have both won.

Yeah, first party and VR are the sellers for me. I wouldn't have even bought an XB this gen if RDR2 ran at a stable rate on PS as the exclusives did nothing for me. Gamepass is cool, so I'm keeping the 1X until something comes along to sell The Series X to me.

4 minutes ago, Steven said:

I did have a subscription though, I downloaded it in two sessions and it asked me if I owned the game when I was done. I checked and found out it had left GP.

That's what I'm saying - it's an incredibly specific example of you in that specific situation. I get that it was frustrating, but it was on GP for a good long while and you get a two weeks heads up before it leaves with an additional discount. So, as an example of a drawback I don't think it outweighs the benefits of having a gp sub in an all-digital dystopia. (Seeing both companies positioning a digital console as their default/cheaper entry point convinces me that there might not even be a disc option in the generation after the upcoming one)

I think the PS5 hardware is supposed to be more expensive than the Series X despite being less powerful, right? Something about the fancy cooler and special SSD?

If so, I’m very interested to see where they land with the pricing if the Series X is being sold for a loss at £450. Would love to see them drop a £500+ stinker just to see the fuss, (but obviously hoping for cheaper so I can buy one).

32 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think the PS5 hardware is supposed to be more expensive than the Series X despite being less powerful, right? Something about the fancy cooler and special SSD?

That has become the meme, but the Series X cooling system and chassis is a bit of clever custom engineering while the PS range has consistently used pretty ordinary coolers and made up for it with clever plastic chassis designs for air flow. The PS5 SSD is significantly more advanced but I don’t think anything else about the PS5 is any more or less customised than its Xbox equivalent, and the die size of the SoC will be a lot smaller and therefore that part will be cheaper.

Just now, Alex W. said:

That has become the meme, but the Series X cooling system and chassis is a bit of clever custom engineering while the PS range has consistently used pretty ordinary coolers and made up for it with clever plastic chassis designs for air flow. The PS5 SSD is significantly more advanced but I don’t think anything else about the PS5 is any more or less customised than its Xbox equivalent, and the die size of the SoC will be a lot smaller and therefore that part will be cheaper.

I guess that would explain why the PS5 is as big as a house. Or maybe two house-cubes duct taped together.

But I thought the PS5 had some sort of whizz-bang custom heatsink. I’m not sure where I got that idea from. I definitely seem to have seen more industry in-spiders saying that the PS5 costs more to make, though. 

I think people have speculated a lot on Sony patents from around the time that are specifically for small devices, which the PS5 isn’t. Mark Cerny said we’d be “pleased with” what they came up with for cooling when they did their tear down on the console, but anything more sophisticated than a centrifugal fan blowing across some fins like the image below would be a massive leap forward for their cooling technology. So I’m not expecting rocket surgery:

AB62F6DD-3921-4D1C-817F-6B5D62757342.jpeg.9cabcdb563ad49261c993253dc6c5a5b.jpeg

I do expect that the PS5 will be expensive to make, though, and probably in a similar ball park to the Series X. I mean there’s got to be something filling up that box and every square inch of whatever is in there adds to the cost.

But I don’t think it’ll be because of any secret special extra technology versus Microsoft’s that will cause it to be greatly more expensive. That sounds like the end result of PS fanboys trying to argue that the console’s more powerful than it actually is and Xbox fanboys arguing against it, rather than anything borne out by the available information.

9 minutes ago, Broker said:

I think it depends on how you consume the media. I know that personally my gaming habits are very different from my viewing habits. I generally only play one game at a time, often for months on end, whereas I’ll regularly watch two or three things on Netflix in one evening. I do almost all my gaming online with friends or alone, where I’ll much more frequently watch TV and movies with my girlfriend or kids. I’m also much less likely to do research beyond watching a single trailer for things I watch, where most games I buy I’ll have read/watched reviews and gameplay. 

Because of these factors, Netflix having a wide selection of random things I haven’t considered before is a big bonus, but Gamepass is largely useless to me. The investment of time is just completely different, and because it’s functionally impossible for me to play more than a one long game in a month I don’t really feel the need to have access to hundreds of games whatever the cost is. I’m also much more likely to replay games than rewatch things, and don’t watch any things which carry on forever whereas I play a lot of games that are theoretically infinite in length. 

I just don’t need Gamepass’ volume in the same way I do Netflix’s. I understand the theoretical advantages of the model but they don’t align with how I consume the media. I know there’s a lot of people here who play loads of games, and I see that if you were buying several games a month before it existed Gamepass is a crazy value proposition. But for me, my girlfriend, my kids, my friends and most of my kids friends it just isn’t necessary no matter how cheap it looks on paper, because there’s a good chance we’re just going to be playing the same thing we did yesterday in a way that’s just not the same on Netflix. 

Well said Broker, I am in the same boat as you I only complete maybe 8 to 10 games a year if that! I just do not have the luxury of time to enjoy or get value for money out of a gamepass subscription. I am much more interested in the new experiences or playing a sequel to a game I have throughly enjoyed like Horizon Zero Dawn. I will be getting a physical PS5 console most likely on release depending on the released games.

I don't know why you say that's a method of playing unsuitable for GamePass, because it's exactly how I used to play things, and I've ended up just completing more things on GamePass.

Like I bought RDR2 in er... March? I'm just in Chapter 6 now, the game is massive. But in that time I've completed Carrion, Hypnospace Outlaw, the Touryst and Observation, all of which combined could probably have fit into the running length one of RDR2's chapters.

I don't really play more than one game at a time, with the limited time it's easier just to focus on one game. Also as good as the Xbox hardware pricing is I am happy with my Playstation/Switch combo because it gives me exclusive games unique to each console and Xbox does not really offer me any games I want to play.

I also play one game at a time. Either to completion or until I'm done with it. But I only play single player, so unlike Destiny and the like, games with an actual end. As such Game Pass suits me perfectly. I choose one game from the list and play that until it's done - or I'm done - and then the next. No need to wait for a sale. Thanks to game pass I've saved a ton of money this year*, finished way more games, and tried games I would have otherwise avoided - thinking it's not for me so not worth the money. Discovered a lot of gems that way.

*Thus being able to afford both consoles! Even Sony benefits from game pass

so we can agree that there are all different types of use cases for gamers. Some will work with gp some won't. But the important thing is that there is choice of which way you want to play games. Choice is good.

People can play games however they want, I'm not going to directly criticise it, but certainly here a lot of people seem to dislike and drop games very quickly. The Abandoned Games thread often has me scratching my head so I just don't partake in it, even though there's the odd game that doesn't really do it for me. Game Pass often feels like it's made for people like that - which isn't me - who might not be invested enough to push through even the smallest section of a game they dislike to then find the game actually comes into it's own. So the games get picked at. 

I tend to play a game that I want to play, or know that - generally speaking - it'll be something I want to play.   

Again, different personalities will respond differently, but for me having hundreds of games makes me way more likely to drop things. The second I get annoyed I’m all “I could be playing something better”. I played about ten minutes each of Forza and two other Gamepass games because I kept thinking I’d enjoy the next one more. 

If people abandon a game they don't like to play one they do, that seems fine?

This idea that you have to keep playing something you don't enjoy to completion because you hold yourself to only play one game at a time or something seems daft, we're not kids hoarding pocket money to buy one game that we need to play to death anymore, our time is limited, the availability and ability to find something that suits you has never been greater. Life's too short to stick with stuff you don't find fun.

25 minutes ago, Broker said:

Again, different personalities will respond differently, but for me having hundreds of games makes me way more likely to drop things. The second I get annoyed I’m all “I could be playing something better”. I played about ten minutes each of Forza and two other Gamepass games because I kept thinking I’d enjoy the next one more. 

Yeah, that's fair enough. For me that's not a problem, I finish most games and only abandon them if I'm not having fun at all and never want to play them again. Because I know that if I start something else in-between, I will most likely never return to the former game even if I was really enjoying it (edit: what @RubberJohnnysays is totally valid of course, but this way works best for me. Otherwise I wouldn't enjoy any games at all just playing the start of everything - for me I have the most fun if I stick to one at a time) . Therefore for me it works best if I stick to one at a time. I can totally see how it would be too much choice for others though. 

Worth noting that I originally thought Game Pass wasn't for me at all. Only tried it because of the €1 deal and subsequently discovered it's now my preferred way of enjoying games (also note that I was already all in on digital which probably helped). Like I said, it saved me a ton of money and I have finished more than twice as many games this year already compared to last year (due to being a parent, covid hasn't afforded me more gaming time btw - just the opposite in fact)  I think/assume the series S will include a trial so anyone can try and see for themselves.

16 hours ago, jcafarley said:

It does, for the hardcore. But convincing people who only buy 2 or 3 games a year that they should pay £11 a month, during a global recession, may not be so easy.

no way it’s buttons for gaming expenditure are you on crack

I’m definitely not the target audience, I’ve played 1900 hours of PUBG over the last few years (I think I paid like £20 for that) and now I just play Valorant. Yesterday I paid £17 for a Valorant gun skin that looks like a bunch of tadpoles wrapped in duct tape and I’m much happier with that purchase than most games I buy :lol:

17 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Sony still have huge market and mindshare, it won't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. Sure MS will sell a few Xboxes from this but Playstation 5 will still sell out, even if it is £200 dearer.

Initially yes but it never quite worked out for PS3 making that mistake and 360 didn't have GamePass.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic