PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

15 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I think it's the other way around, really. 

People who are more casual are the gamepass audience, and knowing all costs are covered is something - if Microsoft offer a 6 month card for a bit more than a single game, I think a lot of people will go for it. 

It remains to be seen how it'll work out and I can argue against my point but if you're someone who plays a lot, or if you play occasionally, I can see an argument for and against gamepass being the right choice. 

I was just thinking, if the average gamer buys 3 games a year at roughly £40 a pop, that’s £120.

GamePass Ultimate at £11 a month over the year comes to £132.

Thats only £12 more for hundreds of extra games! Seems like a no-brainer to me.

13 minutes ago, JPL said:

I was just thinking, if the average gamer buys 3 games a year at roughly £40 a pop, that’s £120.

Cdkeys have been doing 3 months for £20 too, so really if you compare rrp or what you can find by shopping around for both games and gamepass it works out at about the cost of two new games. The only thing is if those games have to be the brand new Fifa and COD then you're out of luck. 

25 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Microsoft launched before Sony this gen (last gen?!) too.

They did, but with a console nobody was particularly interested in.

It's possible the US PS5 launch is still on or around that date and Sony are being coy. We should know before September 22nd I guess. 

1 minute ago, Wahwah* said:

Cdkeys have been doing 3 months for £20 too, so really if you compare rrp or what you can find by shopping around for both games and gamepass it works out at about the cost of two new games. The only thing is if those games have to be the brand new Fifa and COD then you're out of luck. 

Well if all you play are FIFA or CoD, then you don’t deserve GamePass.

5 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

I've uploaded them to the DeS thread

Thanks, I've been trying to stay out of there for fear of spoilers (I've never played it) but I will check your post, many thanks!

37 minutes ago, JPL said:

Not if the only games you buy or care about are Fifa, COD and Fortnite.

Obviously, Gamepass is absolutely brilliant, but I'm really interesting to see if Microsoft can grow it beyond the core they already have.

35 minutes ago, JPL said:

Game Pass will not have the latest and most hyped titles on it - unless it’s MS first party - For that you’ll have to purchase and pay a premium. 

Game Pass is useful for playing smaller indie titles, mid-tier games and older AAA games that have been added. 

This is why for me, a PS5 for those “must have now” games and Sony 1st party, and a Series S, to use Game Pass for its selection of indie and mid tier, or games I might have missed and fancy a go of. And MS 1st party. 

4 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Game Pass will not have the latest and most hyped titles on it - unless it’s MS first party - For that you’ll have to purchase and pay a premium. 

Game Pass is useful for playing smaller indie titles, mid-tier games and older AAA games that have been added. 

This is why for me, a PS5 for those “must have now” games and Sony 1st party, and a Series S, to use Game Pass for its selection of indie and mid tier, or games I might have missed and fancy a go of. And MS 1st party. 

Yeah, I get that. I’ll be getting an X for GamePass and any must-have third party games, so I can play them on the most powerful console, and a PS5 digital for any of their first party stuff I need to play. I think they’ll complement each other perfectly.

It’s exactly what I’m doing now actually. One X for GP and the best third party stuff and a PS4 Slim for all their first party goodness.

4 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yeah, you having an amazing choice and at the same time no choice. Some stuff you just have to cough up for. I'd downloaded Phantom Pain but found it had left GP and it was going to set me back over thirty quid. It went on sale a while after but even then it was sixteen quid. It is a great thing to have, no doubt, but when you want something that isn't on it, you are paying full whack and not just for the newer stuff. When I do go for a next gen anything, it'll be disc-based.

11 minutes ago, Steven said:

Yeah, you having an amazing choice and at the same time no choice. Some stuff you just have to cough up for. I'd downloaded Phantom Pain but found it had left GP and it was going to set me back over thirty quid. It went on sale a while after but even then it was sixteen quid. It is a great thing to have, no doubt, but when you want something that isn't on it, you are paying full whack and not just for the newer stuff. When I do go for a next gen anything, it'll be disc-based.

I'm struggling to understand what you're getting at to be honest. How is this any different from, say, Netflix not having a movie available and you having to buy/rent it instead? It's part and parcel of streaming, you pay a low monthly cost for a lot of choice and accept that not everything you want to play will be on it and you'll have to pay for content every so often as well (I'll conveniently ignore music streaming since that's a different kettle of fish for whatever reason).

5 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Sony are in big trouble

I'd save that assessment until you've seen what they're offering.

Microsoft have put forward a good value/service proposition, which naturally has people momentarily enthused, but I think it's fair to call their pitch somewhat unexciting; same controller, same OS, cross-generation games, etc. When you're asking someone to fork out for new hardware novelty can be a powerful factor, so I think the perceived 'newness' of the PS5 will be a big tick in its favour. On top of which Sony appear to have invested in having a lot of exclusives releasing throughout the first year, both first- and third-party, which is currently in stark contrast to Microsoft's recent showing of games which almost all appear to be years away.

No doubt Sony will have a tougher fight this generation – Microsoft pretty much took themselves out at the start of the last one – but they're still the market leader and thus in an enviable position. It feels like people expect them to immediately react to every move Microsoft makes, but they don't need to: they'll stick to their own schedule because there's no need to fight for attention, as evidenced by any metric you care to point at.

Ultimately both companies will have had a pretty accurate idea of what the other will be offering for quite some time, either due to loose lips or simple extrapolation; they were both working in the same possibility space with the same hardware partner. I can't imagine Sony are totally blindsided by the loss Microsoft must be taking on its hardware, aggressive as it might be.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I'm not sure Crusader Kings 3 is mid-tier. If you're into the genre, it's certainly not.

I'm not sure that Destiny 2, 60fps edition is mid-tier. If you're into the genre, it's certainly not.

and so on.

I mean, Games Pass is entirely useless if you just want to play every Sony First Party Title. But if you just want to play those, you're paying far more than you'd pay for Games Pass anyway, aren't you?

And if you're really wanting the best experience of any game that isn't Sony 1st Party or Sony Money Hatted, you'd buy a Switch. (Or the Series X.)

(I think I'm hoping for a £399 price point, and it to drop to £350 at some point before the late 2021 releases - playing Spiderman again when there's Cyberpunk / Valhalla to play doesn't excite, and I'm never got on with Ratchet & Clank / Soulsborne, but Horizon 2 is very appealing).

1 hour ago, Majora said:

I'm struggling to understand what you're getting at to be honest. How is this any different from, say, Netflix not having a movie available and you having to buy/rent it instead? It's part and parcel of streaming, you pay a low monthly cost for a lot of choice and accept that not everything you want to play will be on it and you'll have to pay for content every so often as well (I'll conveniently ignore music streaming since that's a different kettle of fish for whatever reason).

If I couldn't find something I wanted on Netflix, I'd have a variety of places, options and prices to access that content. If I'm all digital, Sony or MS call the shots on what price I pay as they are the only ones I can buy it off. So instead of picking up Phantom Pain for three quid ( which I managed to do) my options were thirty- odd or sixteen in a sale. 

I suppose I could have framed my argument better as It was more about the price and options you have if going digital. Gamepass is ridiculously good value, there is no argument with that.

26 minutes ago, Steven said:

If I couldn't find something I wanted on Netflix, I'd have a variety of places, options and prices to access that content. If I'm all digital, Sony or MS call the shots on what price I pay as they are the only ones I can buy it off. So instead of picking up Phantom Pain for three quid ( which I managed to do) my options were thirty- odd or sixteen in a sale. 

MGSV: The Definitive Experience (which includes all the DLC and Ground Zeroes) is routinely £6.50, and now seems to be alternating months at £16 and £4:

https://psprices.com/region-gb/game/966070/metal-gear-solid-v-the-definitive-experience

I get the argument in principle that fewer places to buy games means fewer ways to cut prices, but the only games I've paid full price for on PS4 were digital exclusives I wanted on launch day.

Sony execs will certainly be discussing the last 24 hours in their meetings today but it's not like this has come completely out of left field from Microsoft. Everyone knew the Series S was coming and I would put money on Sony having a good handle on what the min/max prices could be on it and running their own models accordingly.

Ultimately I don't think they will be flapping, they have a big generational brand and install base lead, a bloody fantastic selection of very well regarded IP to call upon that people are clambering to play and a comparable product tech wise (people will mumble but the fact is the Series X and PS5 will not be lightyears apart).

Obviously I hope it's as cheap as possible and I think they will trim their margins down to look more appealing if they can, but they aren't about to stomach a massive hit per unit because they don't need to. Their model is to sell a console that is the only place you will be able to play a collection of absolutely banging exclusive titles over the next 7-10 years that lots of people will want to play. Microsoft want you to subscribe to their game service and ultimately buy whatever hardware you want to do that.

Personally I'm fine with all this. I was always going to lean towards a PS5 based on the exclusive IP available (and the option of VR). The difference is whereas I had consigned myself to just sticking with my Xbox One for now (or picking up a refurb One X unit) the aggressive pricing has really made me consider dropping another £250 on a Series S to have as a decent upgrade for what is essentially now my dedicated Game Pass machine. I suppose you could say from their perspective they have both won.

Let me put what I’m thinking explicitly: lots of people think that digital only consoles are when the other boot will fall and we’ll be locked in to a digital only high priced dystopia. But what if it doesn’t? What if the digital market now, which works, which is pretty reasonably priced and finally solved the terrible long tail problem in games publishing, is what we’d still have?

There’s a reasonable example here in Steam, which basically ended physical PC game sales and held a near monopoly on games distribution online for a decade or so. And yet it didn’t turn in to a disaster.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

There’s a reasonable example here in Steam, which basically ended physical PC game sales and held a near monopoly on games distribution online for a decade or so. And yet it didn’t turn in to a disaster.

I'm not sure it is. The console platform holder have and always will have complete control over what gets sold. Steam never had such a luxury. If they had gone full Apple all it would have done is hasten other stores coming to the market, so had to temper themselves. You are never going to see competing marketplaces on any of the console platforms.

Yeah, those are bits of the comparison which don’t quite land. But in historical terms it seems the publishers using the PSN and MS stores are more interested in copying Steam’s aggressive sales and healthy diversity of content than in pushing prices as high as they can get away with.

4 hours ago, Majora said:

Anyone hoping for a $299 digital only PS5 is going to be profoundly disappointed, good lord. Stuff of fanboy wet dreams.

I can still hope!   It would  kick off the next gen with such a bang.  Entry at £250 for both MS/Sony with Nintendo being around there with their take too.

1 hour ago, footle said:

I'm not sure Crusader Kings 3 is mid-tier. If you're into the genre, it's certainly not.

I'm not sure that Destiny 2, 60fps edition is mid-tier. If you're into the genre, it's certainly not.

and so on.

Crusader Kings 3? I don’t think you can get anything more mid-tier, and Destiny 2 is really old just like I mentioned. 

...also a superb nail-on-head-hitting post from @pinholestar there! 

5 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Series S incredibly low price has certainly put a cat amongst the pigeons and I think we can safely say that there is going to be some healthy competition this next generation in a way that there wasn’t in this one

Which is exactly what everyone invested in Sony should want. 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic