PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

6 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Do they care about 4K though or did they just buy a 4K TV because it’s “basically impossible” to buy a non 4K set these days? I mean that’s the argument everyone makes, right?

We all have relatives with 4K TVs that absolutely do not care what resolution they’re watching in.

And to be honest, most people have 4K TV’s that are cheap and cheerful - including myself, not everyone can afford an LG OLED.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

I'm not so sure. I imagine they can land the disc-based PS5 for £449-£479 by taking a small hit on each one.

But Game Pass hasn't done them any real damage yet has it, and it's been an amazing service for years?

Globally they still dominate. Not sure yet why that would change, unless they are well over £500.

Edit: And I assume the messaging to counter the Series X is easy enough. Just define true next-gen as being 4K. (I'm guessing the majority of households have a 4K TV by now.)

In a global recession, game pass matters. And some

29 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Sony still have huge market and mindshare, it won't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. Sure MS will sell a few Xboxes from this but Playstation 5 will still sell out, even if it is £200 dearer.

Backwards compat with the PS4 is massive. Completely huge, much more Impact than £150 price diff....

6 minutes ago, sid said:

It does, for the hardcore. But convincing people who only buy 2 or 3 games a year that they should pay £11 a month, during a global recession, may not be so easy.

I suspect that most people would struggle to tell the difference between 1440P and 2160P, so I would be surprised if "true" 4K was a real system-seller.

I'd be interested to see what percentage of people with 4K TVs pay for Netflix's premium 4K service, compared to the standard one.

33 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Perhaps, but if half the country has gone out and bought a new 4K TV in the last few years (assuming everyone's previously good 1080 TVs didn't all cark it at once), then I guess they care about 4K to some extent.

Is that a stat you've seen or a guess? Because I'd be amazed if anywhere near 50% of households have a 4K tv.

37 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Perhaps, but if half the country has gone out and bought a new 4K TV in the last few years (assuming everyone's previously good 1080 TVs didn't all cark it at once), then I guess they care about 4K to some extent.

I only know one person with a 4K TV and they got sent it to review. I think the majority of average people with a 4K TV don't even have anything 4K to push to it, so I don't think a console being 1080p only will be a big deal.

Just now, barkbat said:

Have sony specified the specs of the digital only PS5? Is it possible they could be also aiming for a 1080p focussed spec?

It's the the same but without a disc drive.

7 hours ago, Stopharage said:

I am amazed that more people don't gameshare. Cuts digital prices in half, making it cheaper than physical copies. 

Gamesharing means your games saves aren't automatically uploaded to the cloud as the machine you game on is set as your secondary console.   I'm not sure of that's changed on PS4 recently but it was the case about a year back.

So many here seem to think Sony have to compete, losing an extra £50 or more on their consoles isn’t competing, it’s a loss that your share holders won’t like.

If the Ps5 was planned to be £499 or more, I don’t see that changing based on what Microsoft have done.
Rumour has it the Ps5 costs more to manufacture, and Microsoft are in a better position to take a bath on the price than Sony.

The digital only machine is barely going to be any cheaper than the disc one to make, but they’ll either artificially decrease one price or increase the other to entice people to their higher margins store.

Sony won’t try to compete with the Series S, other than marketing “4K is next gen” or whatever.

I think they’ll price straddle the Series X, 399 and 499, or perhaps 79 to make things look slightly better.

They’ll sell enough of them anyway, they don’t need to “win” the console race, they just need to hit their own sales targets, and a PlayStation will always sell well regardless.

11 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Might be these that appeared a few hours ago, unless moose meant hardware pack shots.

Anyone hoping for a $299 digital only PS5 is going to be profoundly disappointed, good lord. Stuff of fanboy wet dreams.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Is that a stat you've seen or a guess? Because I'd be amazed if anywhere near 50% of households have a 4K tv.

Guesstimate based on the rate of growth I’d seen on various sites and predictions from a few years ago. Last figures were 35% in 2018/19 up from half that the year before. It’s been predicted to hit 45-50% penetration in the US and Western Europe by 2020 FWIW (which is of course fuck all).

Anyway, back on topic. I don’t care how much more a PS5 costs than a XSX/S, have you seen the newly leaked Demon’s Souls screenshots?

Yeah let’s not.

Sony’s big problem right now will be the news cycle IMO. Like it or hate it, Microsoft’s wild vision with two consoles and subscription services and everything will be generating thinkpieces and what have you in a way Sony’s more traditional launch won’t.

2 hours ago, sid said:

THIS!! I have literally zero expendable income right now, certainly for my hobbies, the value proposition for Xbox is incredible and means I dont have to spend on my hobby and I can even do it for less than your average mobile phone contract, that's easily justifiable, I can spend £28.99 per month on myself guilt free.

4 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

So PS5 will be later than November 13th as well in that case. Looks like MS have the drop.on all fronts. 

Surely it just means they weren’t meant to upload the one with the release date, and were meant to hold that back until the announcement?

Edit - Actually never mind what I said makes no sense.

2 hours ago, jcafarley said:

It does, for the hardcore. But convincing people who only buy 2 or 3 games a year that they should pay £11 a month, during a global recession, may not be so easy.

I think it's the other way around, really. 

People who are more casual are the gamepass audience, and knowing all costs are covered is something - if Microsoft offer a 6 month card for a bit more than a single game, I think a lot of people will go for it. 

It remains to be seen how it'll work out and I can argue against my point but if you're someone who plays a lot, or if you play occasionally, I can see an argument for and against gamepass being the right choice. 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic